General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Parents, share this with your kids

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 12:20 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Parents, share this with your kids

Saw this a little while back and thought it was BS. Did some research on Snopes and it turns out it's true, as recorded in the Cleveland paper (happened March 2nd). Not only is this account true but it seems there have been a LOT of deaths caused by this. Share it with your kids and explain it to them . . . seems harmless enough but it isn't, obviously. I think kids don't see it as a drug or as dangerous because it's "just air", not like huffing paint. Anyway, just be careful:

First IM going to tell you a little about me and my family. My name is Jeff. I am a Police Officer for a city which is known nationwide for its crime rate. We have a lot of gangs and drugs. At one point we were # 2 in the nation in homicides per capita. I also have a police K-9 named Thor. He was certified in drugs and general duty. He retired at 3 years old because he was shot in the line of duty. He lives with us now and I still train with him because he likes it. I always liked the fact that there was no way to bring drugs into my house. Thor wouldn't allow it. He would tell on you. The reason I say this is so you understand that I know about drugs. I have taught in schools about drugs. My wife asks all our kids at least once a week if they used any drugs. Makes them promise they wont.

I like building computers occasionally and started building a new one in February 2005. I also was working on some of my older computers. They were full of dust so on one of my trips to the computer store I bought a 3 pack of DUST OFF. Dust Off is a can of compressed air to blow dust off a computer. A few weeks later when I went to use them they were all used. I talked to my kids and my 2 sons both said they had used them on their computer and messing around with them. I yelled at them for wasting the 10 dollars I paid for them. On February 28 I went back to the computer store. They didn't have the 3 pack which I had bought on sale so I bought a single jumbo can of Dust Off. I went home and set it down beside my computer.

On March 1st I left for work at 10 PM. At 11 PM my wife went down and kissed Kyle goodnight. At 530 am the next morning Kathy went downstairs to wake Kyle up for school, before she left for work. He was sitting up in bed with his legs crossed and his head leaning over. She called to him a few times to get up. He didn't move. He would sometimes tease her like this and pretend he fell back asleep. He was never easy to get up. She went in and shook his arm. He fell over. He was pale white and had the straw from the Dust Off can coming out of his mouth. He had the new can of Dust Off in his hands. Kyle was dead.

I am a police officer and I had never heard of this. My wife is a nurse and she had never heard of this. We later found out from the coroner, after the autopsy, that only the propellant from the can of Dust off was in his system. No other drugs. Kyle had died between midnight and 1 Am.

I found out that using Dust Off is being done mostly by kids ages 9 through 15. They even have a name for it. It's called dusting. A take off from the Dust Off name. It gives them a slight high for about 10 seconds. It makes them dizzy. A boy who lives down the street from us showed Kyle how to do this about a month before. Kyle showed his best friend. Told him it was cool and it couldn't hurt you. Its just compressed air. It cant hurt you. His best friend said no.

Kyle's death

Kyle was wrong. It's not just compressed air. It also contains a propellant. I think its R2. Its a refrigerant like what is used in your refrigerator. It is a heavy gas. Heavier than air. When you inhale it, it fills your lungs and keeps the good air, with oxygen, out. That's why you feel dizzy, buzzed. It decreases the oxygen to your brain, to your heart. Kyle was right. It cant hurt you. IT KILLS YOU. The horrible part about this is there is no warning. There is no level that kills you. It's not cumulative or an overdose; it can just go randomly, terribly wrong. Roll the dice and if your number comes up you die. ITS NOT AN OVERDOSE. Its Russian roulette. You don't die later. Or not feel good and say I've had too much. You usually die as your breathing it in. If not you die within 2 seconds of finishing "the hit." That's why the straw was still in Kyle's mouth when he died. Why his eye's were still open.

The experts want to call this huffing. The kids don't believe its huffing. As adults we tend to lump many things together. But it doesn't fit here. And that's why its more accepted. There is no chemical reaction. no strong odor. It doesn't follow the huffing signals. Kyle complained a few days before he died of his tongue hurting. It probably did. The propellant causes frostbite. If I had only known.

Its easy to say hay, its my life and I'll do what I want. But it isn't. Others are always effected. This has forever changed our family's life. I have a hole in my heart and soul that can never be fixed. The pain is so immense I cant describe it. There's nowhere to run from it. I cry all the time and I don't ever cry. I do what I'm supposed to do but I don't really care. My kids are messed up. One wont talk about it. The other will only sleep in our room at night. And my wife, I cant even describe how bad she is taking this. I thought we were safe because of Thor. I thought we were safe because we knew about drugs and talked to our kids about them.

After Kyle died another story came out. A Probation Officer went to the school system next to ours to speak with a student. While there he found a student using Dust Off in the bathroom. This student told him about another student who also had some in his locker. This is a rather affluent school system. They will tell you they don't have a drug problem there. They don't even have a dare or plus program there. So rather than tell everyone about this "new" way of getting high they found, they hid it. The probation officer told the media after Kyle's death and they, the school, then admitted to it. I know that if they would have told the media and I had heard, it wouldn't have been in my house.

We need to get this out of our homes and school computer labs.

Using Dust Off isn't new and some "professionals" do know about. It just isn't talked about much, except by the kids. They know about it.

April 2nd was 1 month since Kyle died. April 5th would have been his 15th birthday. And every weekday I catch myself sitting on the living room couch at 2:30 in the afternoon and waiting to see him get off the bus. I know Kyle is in heaven but I cant help but wonder If I died and went to Hell.

Jeff

Old 08-04-2005, 12:56 PM
A_G
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats a sad story.why do kids these days feel tehy need to explore more ways to get high? are county has a HUGE drug problem, second and oklahoma for meth labs. i think weve had one death due to this type of huffing in our county or a nearby county.my question who the heck comes up with this stupidty?

Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 PM
70blue
Postmaster
Ivan this is a old issue that should be widely known by parents. The problem is it is not widely known by parents. Thank you for pointing this out.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:14 PM
koalamazed
Senior User
i learned the wrong way that those cans of compressed "air" are not really air at all. when i was a teen i had a testors airbrush setup with the canned air. it had a dial regulator and I thought wow, i could do scuba with this thing! so i tested it out in my bedroom one night and one breath had me OUT cold. what a trippy feeling and no way did i wanna do it again! i couldnt believe it, they need to better label the cans for sure, but i assume that the kids now know its used to get high.

after reading this i looked at the can on my desk and its not boldly labeled either. but in red it says near the bottom of the can "NOTE: contains IQ's bittergent technology to deter misuse through intentional inhalation of concentrated vapors" I assume this means it tastes bad? how bout a big freaking label that says DONT BREATH THIS STUFF! ??

Old 08-04-2005, 01:16 PM
koalamazed
Senior User
oh yeah, one thing its better at than dusting off computers is.....

shooing away the cats. they hate that PSSSSS! sound and hate being blown on too. so its the best of both worlds.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:26 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You would be suprised at the things that is used for inhaling that parents don't have a clue about. I won't list them but I can gaurentee you they are things that you would have in your house, and never think about, and not cleaning materials but rather food stuffs

Old 08-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I posted this back a few weeks ago.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=382491
Scary stuff

Last edited by Mil1ion; 08-04-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:38 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i have to say that i was a dumb kid, ive done it... its kinda dumb now that i think of it... dang i did some stupid stuff in my days

Matt

Old 08-04-2005, 06:34 PM
slash31938
Posting Guru
man, i ... i guess i shouldnt say that, some soft hearted person somewhere would get in a fit if i said it. oh well, im gonna say it anyway. why in the world are kids doing this idiotic crap, and why arent parents paying more attention to the acts of there brain-damaged kids? why would anyone, i dont care how old you are, want to spray some unknown substance up your nasel system and inhale it? ohh, look, timmy down the street said it was cool to huff duster offer, lets go down in the basement and be "cool"!!!. do people not have any sense at all?

Old 08-04-2005, 07:54 PM
RomerB2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by slash31938
man, i ... i guess i shouldnt say that, some soft hearted person somewhere would get in a fit if i said it. oh well, im gonna say it anyway. why in the world are kids doing this idiotic crap, and why arent parents paying more attention to the acts of there brain-damaged kids? why would anyone, i dont care how old you are, want to spray some unknown substance up your nasel system and inhale it? ohh, look, timmy down the street said it was cool to huff duster offer, lets go down in the basement and be "cool"!!!. do people not have any sense at all?
So.. how would parents pay more attention to their kids? Most kids out there aren't doing it to be "cool", they're doing it for the rush, or the feeling they get from it. And it's not just kids that do this. I don't think this stuff damages the brain to where people could notice it, and if it does, you would wonder why your kid was acting differently but wouldn't know the reason. This guy would of known if his kids were doing drugs, yet he didn't know they were doing this. So how do you stop a problem you don't know you have?

People have plenty of sense, but if you get a good feeling from something you usually do it again right? Say you get a back massage, it feels good.. wouldn't you probably do it again? What if they made back massages a "drug".. how many people would be ou there trying to find ways to get a back massage? I'm not saying these things were legal once, I'm just saying that people do things that make them feel good. You're probably going to say "How does this make them feel good? I wouldn't ever think about doing this".. Well, that's your opinion.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:33 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem is it is not widely known by parents
I think the problem is that the parents arn't "parenting" Where the hell are they when thier kids are doing this?

ON EDIT... It's DARWINS Natrual selection.... stupid parent bnreeds = stupid kid. Stupid kid kills self, therefore killing off stupid genes.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 PM
RomerB2
Postmaster
Well if you would've read the first post and read all of it, you would've known that the kid did this at night. I know kids out there are easily able to sneak around the house, and if they wanted to, they could easily get it. Who leaves their dust-off out? Everyone.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Percy
Senior User
Okay, I will break it down for you.

Legalize Pot.

Let's see, if everything is illegal and half of the things that are illegal are fun, then if it's illegal it must be fun, right?

There is no way of following your kids around every second of every day and making sure they aren't doing something dumb. ALL HUMANS DO DUMB THINGS OCCASSIONALLY. It's the animal in us. The same thing that drives raccoons to shiny objects and fish to lures. It's curiousity. Sometimes it's the cool kid in school playing a mean trick on someone lower in the social food chain. Sometimes, it's just plain stupidity. There is some truth to the fact that when someone stupid does something dumb and dies from it, we are down one more stupid individual.

I don't think from the first post that lack of intelligence had anything to do with this. This was a prime example of some kid - probably thought to be a little cooler than the one he was talking to - said, "Hey this is cool". Of course the next kid wants to be cool too. It's not until you are an adult and have had to make a life for yourself that you realize how unimportant "cool" really is.

I was the master of the uncool in school. I was so popular being unpopular that everyone knew me. It wasn't until school was well overwith that I really became someone. Now the "cool" group from tons of schools want to know me and hang out with me and I am busy - doing things that I enjoy, cool or not, because I like them. Working on old trucks, and learning guitar, excelling in the things I know. The cool kids now envy me. The "cool" kids that were so hip in school are now the one's asking, "would you like fries with that?" I have a life.

The point is, it's not a lack of parenting in this case. This is all about cool. This is all about trying to climb a ridiculous social ladder that means less than nothing in the real world. If you want to ensure that your kids don't fall into that trap the only thing you can do is reasure them that you may not be cool now. You may not be cool the entire time you are in school. The goal is, to make it through school - regardless of what your idiot peers think about you, no matter how lonely and saddening it truly is - because when it's over. You will be one of the coolest adults around. Simply because you can make your own rules, and create your own world and that is SOOOOOOO much cooler than anything your idiot peers may ever live to accomplish. Especially if "cool" means huffing refrigerant and injecting peanut butter.

You want to make a difference, we all do. The best thing we can do is be a mentor for young people. When youngins realize that there are adults that want their company, they start to see - even the young ones - that they are actually cool whether their peers realize it or not. It may not work for you parents, to try and get into your little ones' business. But find a way to have other adults take interest in them in an appropriate manner. Church group camping trips. Neighborhood fishing trips. Nothing is cooler to an uncool kid than to have the company of a cool adult.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:59 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RomerB2
Well if you would've read the first post and read all of it, you would've known that the kid did this at night. I know kids out there are easily able to sneak around the house, and if they wanted to, they could easily get it. Who leaves their dust-off out? Everyone.
FWIW I did read it, I guess My parents and I had a better relationship, more talking, more communicating.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:25 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I don't think this has anything to do with "cool, uncool, parents don't pay attention or spend any time with the kids". I think this is just an example of someone not having any clue of the danger he was getting into because he was not "doing a drug", he was just inhaling cold air . . . or so he thought. I don't mean for this thread to turn into a whole drugs are evil, monitor your children discussion. But I do think people need to explain to their kids that it isn't just air in these cans and it's downright deadly. Seems to me kids will do this just because they think it's fun and safe. A simple explanation (or in this case example) of the real world danger would go a long way. I don't mean to cause an argument here . . . but I'd hate to see someone on FTE lose a kid to something so foolish.

Quick Reply: Parents, share this with your kids