1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Need new exhaust... is it advisable to by pass the catalytic converters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:55 AM
tb40nd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new exhaust... is it advisable to by pass the catalytic converters?

Today I went checking to see what it would cost me to get a new exhaust installed and at the first place I stopped the guy (who seems to be #2 in the shop) told me to stop by on Saturday to get it up on the rack and we'd go from there.

Well, during our conversation I asked him what all I needed to get and he explained that if I wanted to spend the least amount of money all I would need would be the exhaust and that he would bypass the catalyst. Is this a good idea or not? And if you don't mind explaining... why exactly is it or isn't it?

He also informed me that I had not only 1 but (4) catalysts on my 1998 expedition? Well, he said there are (2) pre-catalysts and (2) catalysts? Is this true?

Lastly, he told me that their house brand exhaust system (Flow Sound or something like that) is just as good and basically the exact same thing as the more expensive FlowMaster exhausts which they also sale. The only real difference being that some of the FlowMasters are stainless steel and that their house exhausts aren't mandrel bent. He had one on his truck and it sounded nice and all but I more concerned with better gas mileage and better power / torque than I am with sound. What do you guys think?

TIA

Old 08-03-2005, 08:26 AM
lancekilgore
Elder User
If you preside in the states then it is law that you have Cats on all vehicles that originally came with them.
The CPU uses the cats to help regulate the engine and fuel. It has been know that if you bypass the cats or degut them then there defanitly is more horse power, (less restriction). Some one else will chime in but I assume it could casue engine problems and cpu problems you will defanitly have a check engine light on.
Haven't looked to see if mine has four or not but it defanitly has two.
I think that shop can get into trouble for by passing the cats. It does not seem like a very repratble buisness to even mention it. One mans opinion.

Lance

Old 08-03-2005, 08:46 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
The shop can get in BIG trouble if they're caught intentionally disabling or discarding emission system components. Plenty of catback exhaust systems on the market.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:55 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
What PAULC and LANCEKILGORE said. It is illegal and will eventually cause you problems. Yea its fun at first but when you have to pay to fix the engine afterwards...not so fun. I have asked a couple of shops here to go to a dual exhaust with cats and they said they can't. They have to keep the same configuration as what came form the factory.

Also, madrel bends will make a little difference. Standard bends tend to "pinch" the pipe and decrease the flow. Mandrel bends keep the pipe the same diameter through the bend, hence no flow restriction.

Catalytic converters are meant to capture unused fuel and CO gasses that would normally, (tree hugger time), hurt the environment. The vehicle puters reads this and makes adjustments to the engine. If you live in a state that has emmisions testing, then you will fail. I tried this years ago on my old Bronco, and it ran nice, but when it came time to testing, I forgot I had cored out the cat and it wouldn't pass the emmisions test. Thank god I remembered before they took the truck to find out why. (Optional service). Once I put a new one in, all was well.

If you want a good exhaust, get a cat back system from Flowmaster. You can order it yourself, (no markup from the shop), and then have them install it. Cheaper that way. Also, the stainless steel is for a reason. If not stainless, then your mufflers will rust out alot faster and you will end up spending more in the long run to keep mufflers on your truck.

my 2 cents.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:28 PM
tb40nd
Senior User
Angry

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks guys... I thought it sounded a bit off and kinda hinted that I wasn't too sure about that but would let him know what I decided to do on Saturday.

Even though we don't have emissions tests we have to pass here in Michigan or in Indiana (where the shop is) it does kinda **** me off that something could go wrong with my engine and he swore it wouldn't!!! This is one of the ONLY muffler places here (or at least a far as I can see) and they are surely the biggest place around and their bays are always full of people.

I am also kinda ticked that he keeps pushing this FlowSound exhaust over the FlowMaster exhaust - swears it's the same stuff w/ different name. He did say stainless would last longer, but I think the FlowMaster we were talking about was aluminized too?

I think I'm gonna visit a few more places today considering the above! Thanks a bunch for the replies guys - you've all been a big help!

On a different note - same song... If all my other pipes are in good shape is it worth the extra money to get the whole exhaust w/ mandrel bends instead of just replacing the muffler - performance-wise?

Lastly, and a bit off key... [b]Is $250 a decent price for basic rotors and ceramics brakes - parts included?

Old 08-03-2005, 01:51 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Naw....you won't feel the difference, but it does make a small one...unless you are talking about a difference in the factory 1 1/2 inch (?) pipe to a 2 1/2 or 3 inch pipe aftermarket.

$250 for rotors and pads? Not bad.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:29 PM
tb40nd
Senior User
Originally Posted by BillyBob69
Naw....you won't feel the difference, but it does make a small one...unless you are talking about a difference in the factory 1 1/2 inch (?) pipe to a 2 1/2 or 3 inch pipe aftermarket.

$250 for rotors and pads? Not bad.
Thanx a bunch m8 - headed over there now... maybe i'll see what this guy will charge me for a muffler and some cats while i'm there!

I won't be able to get the exhaust done until later this week(end) though so if anyone has anymore input on the cat / muffler maintenance please reply - I just got a new high flow intake and i want to see some results when i get all of this done

Oh yeah, if my engine isn't losing compression I will be getting some electric fans to increase fuel econ. and hp also so any advise / info will be a big help!

OK, I'll check back with you all later.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:48 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Old 08-03-2005, 07:06 PM
tb40nd
Senior User
Originally Posted by BillyBob69
yeah i saw those and just can't see myself shelling out that much cash for some fans, although they'll probably pay for themselves in a couple of years.

i did see a set on ebay i want but i can't get right now b/c i don't have the cash after all this other crap i have to get done.

i was hoping to grab them cheap but i guess i'll share them with the world now... do you think these would have gotten the job done...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flex-...spagenameZWDVW

...oh well, it looks like someone has already pulled the trigger on them - no bid wars for me!

*edit to add... does anyone know if this fan could be used on an expedition? is so it should net some hp gains and gas mileage shouldn't it with it being lighter and all?*

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Fl...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by tb40nd; 08-03-2005 at 07:08 PM.