Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Any complete ford twin turbo setups?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 09:48 PM
wayfastwhitey
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any complete ford twin turbo setups?

I see ads for turbos and see that there are quite a few cummins twin turbo setups available that are complete setups with everything needed to do the swap. But are there any for my 2000 7.3? I am looking into many different upgrades right now and I am contemplating between getting bigger injectors, a bigger turbo or fabbing my own twin turbo setup. But if I could simply purchase a kit for the twin turbo I know what I choose!! Or is it just best to get a bigger turbo and the injectors and leave the really, really, really cool thought of twin turbos on my diesel :-)
Brad

Old 08-03-2005, 12:09 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
theres a couple guys over at TDS that have gone to twins, its a little harder with the v8 to twin it. how big of an injector are you looking at? if your going over the 175mm3 line a h2e works great. i had a h2e with my 225mm3 hybrids there was no turbo lag at all, the driveability got to my so im running a gt38p ball bearing with a set of beans stage 1's great driveability and a "fun" amount of power still.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:20 AM
touchofgrey
Elder User
Originally Posted by wayfastwhitey
I see ads for turbos and see that there are quite a few cummins twin turbo setups available that are complete setups with everything needed to do the swap. But are there any for my 2000 7.3? I am looking into many different upgrades right now and I am contemplating between getting bigger injectors, a bigger turbo or fabbing my own twin turbo setup. But if I could simply purchase a kit for the twin turbo I know what I choose!! Or is it just best to get a bigger turbo and the injectors and leave the really, really, really cool thought of twin turbos on my diesel :-)
Brad

Well, it is a idea. I guess if you relocated the batteries......you might get the space to put them under the hood. You do know that the turbos would have to be smaller because your only pushing each one of them with four cylinders. The plumbing from the exhaust would be straight forward......but the down pipes might be a challenge. Then you have the heat. There is alot under the hood that doesn't respond well to heat along the exhaust levels. All of that insulation on the firewall isn't up around all of that plastic etc..You'd have some good response from a standing start.......but you come to that inevitable brick wall......your going to need more fuel.
I think if you went with a ball bearing turbo, and a nice set of Swamps....you would be about at the same place......and much happier. Just my oppinion. But if your an "Erector Set" type of guy ( showing my age now )....then by all means......dive right in......and let us know how it turns out.
Someone you might want to PM with your thoughts, would be dockboy. He throws alot of money at these 7.3s, and has a dyno tuned 4x4 that does 107 mph in a quarter.......last time I checked. He may be faster now. That's who I'd talk to about any performance ideas concerning the 7.3. Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:27 AM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i've heard running a a turbo off each bank was a not so efficiant idea, that it was better to run them sesquentially....

Old 08-03-2005, 12:34 AM
touchofgrey
Elder User
Originally Posted by RedStroker6
i've heard running a a turbo off each bank was a not so efficiant idea, that it was better to run them sesquentially....

You may be right.......it's been awhile since I've looked at the "grow your own" side of turbos. Alot has probably changed.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:38 AM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
i dunno really. i've never done deep research into it, i just seem to remember that in the past 6 months or so, someone on here said that, explained it and it made sense. can't remember who or whatnot. i also think to Dzljim and his tripple set-up. its sesqunetial, and when it wsa runnign 2, it was the same way. i don't think i have his site bookmarked, had to re-build the computer.... again, i could be wrong....who knows, its 1230 in the mornin over here and i spent the evenin playin with a big fire truck and learnin how to spray water...time to go to bed.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 AM
touchofgrey
Elder User
its 1230 in the mornin over here and i spent the evenin playin with a big fire truck and learnin how to spray water...time to go to bed.

I'm in BIG Seguin......so tell me about it. LOL

Old 08-03-2005, 10:17 AM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
BIG seguin huh? that the HUGE Seguin thats just east of SA?

I started volunteering at the China Grove Volunteer Fire Departemnt last night. startingthe Fire Academy in 3 weeks, so i figured i'd give myself a head start. they got me all geared up, and we took out a pumper truck to play for a little while. lemmie just say, riding in the fire truck, wow, totally kicked MAJOR butt.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 AM
touchofgrey
Elder User
BIG seguin huh? that the HUGE Seguin thats just east of SA?

I started volunteering at the China Grove Volunteer Fire Departemnt last night. startingthe Fire Academy in 3 weeks, so i figured i'd give myself a head start. they got me all geared up, and we took out a pumper truck to play for a little while. lemmie just say, riding in the fire truck, wow, totally kicked MAJOR butt.
I've always thought that to be a honorable job. Let me the first to say "thank you". Take care.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 PM
wayfastwhitey
Junior User
Yes I had also heard that sequental turbos were better than seperate, and yes I have taken into consideration the idea of heat and space but I was mainly wondering if there was a kit for it. I love dzlJim's truck that thing is straight Bitchin'!! I mainly wanted the twin turbos for the hell of it. And umm...barebackjake could you please tell me in english about the injectors? lol I am kidding I am still pretty new to this diesel thing but most of that was over my head, if I wanted bigger injectors and told you what HP range I wanted, what I have and what I plan on could you help me get the right stuff please?
Thanks for the help guys.
Brad

Old 08-04-2005, 01:34 AM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
ya know, if you really want twins, jsut do what i'm gonna do....whem my motor finally bites the dust (hopefully not for a couple years) i'm gonna re-build a 12 valve Cummins and install it....with twins of course

Old 08-04-2005, 08:53 PM
wayfastwhitey
Junior User
I would totally love to get a cummins in my FORD!! and of course with the Allison auto tranny to back it up....ohh what a dream. Maybe some day.......maybe not?
Brad