General Automotive Discussion

transom repair advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Methos
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transom repair advise

I'm not exactly sure what category this question would fall under, so I apologize if this should be put somewhere else.

I have a '71 Ranger fiberglass fishing boat that the plywood in the transom is really pretty rotten. Given the price that I got the boat for a few years ago and the estimated value of the boat I really can't justify the price of having a marina replace the transom... about went into sticker shock for that one....

Anyway, has anyone attempted a repair like this that might have some advise? I know it's going to be a long, involved project. But, I'd like to give it a go.

I only gave a couple hundred bucks for the boat, trailer, motor, etc and a few hundred on repairs over the past few years. So It's not like I'm out a whole lot if I totally screw it up. Figure I can get the better part of my money back out of the motor/trailer if I destroy the boat, anyway.

I found a materal called seacast that is basically a pourable fiberglass material that is supposed to be easier and stronger than building a new transom from ply. Anyone know of this material that can comment?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-01-2005, 11:43 AM
berkad
Posting Guru
Old 08-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Methos
Junior User
Thanks for the link Berkad.

Unfortunately, nearly every forum I've found are either love it - hate it groups that when you read long enough noone there has actually used it.

Can't quite fathom how people can have such strong opinions (either way) about a product that they have not seen/used. It's like everyone is either going 'well, the specs look good, so its great' or 'that's not the way it's always been done, so it's bad"

Wish I could talk to someone that actually used it to see how it holds up.

Of course, it can't be worse than rotten plywood, sooo......

Old 08-02-2005, 08:48 AM
berkad
Posting Guru
I think you hit the nail on the head. No one can seem to find anyone outside of the vendor who has used it.

Me, if I can not find a credible source who has used it, I would stay away. Just my opinion.

Maybe you can be the voice who can shed light on the truth and do your fellow boater a favor.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:42 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunatly the floor, stringers are probaly rotten also.Major job.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Methos
Junior User
Yeah, I've taken the stringers into account also. The 'good' thing is that I want to reconfigure the deck layout anyway before I relay carpet (or get it line-x'd) so to redo the flooring was already in the planning stages. Since the decking is coming out already for a redesign, I'm thinking it shouldn't be too bad to check/repair/replace the stringers.

Of course, I've been wrong before.....

Old 08-02-2005, 11:27 AM
wiseguy
Elder User
There used to be a show on SpeedVision before it became NASCARVision, called 'Ship Shape'. The host replaced a transom, and while it may have been quick on tv, we all know that the editing gods made it look that way. I did a quick search and found his web page: www.shipshapetv.com. You might even be able to email him and see what he knows about that product.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Superdave37076
Freshman User
You might try this site, it has a section for fiberglass repair and some real knowledgable people.
www.screamandfly.com

SD

Old 08-02-2005, 06:10 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you get involved replacing the floors and transom, they now have kiln dried pressure treated plywood, for boat building. Regular P/T is too wet for paint or fiberglas to stick. It's called XL. If you use non-treated plywood (even marine) you're wasting your time and money. A more expensive alternative is Klegecell, a high-density foam product in a variety of thicknesses and densities. It's very strong when glassed on both sides, but there are special requirements to reinforce the transom, so the bolts/clamps don't crush the foam.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Repairing that transom (and stringers) is not very difficult if you have worked with fiberglass before. It is 100% necessary to remove all the damaged areas of the transom and replace all the rotted wood with marine plywood.

Use non-corrosive fasteners to put everything together and then apply several layers of roven-woven fiberglass cloth and laminating resin. You want to have a couple layers of this cloth and resin since it provides the strength that you need. Finish with standard fiberglass cloth and resin, sand and level the surface. Minimize any sanding since removing cloth weakens the repaired area.

This takes a while to do, but by the time you have your 17 footer fixed, you will be proficient in basic boat repair. This will help a lot when you need to repair your 24 footer.....

Lou Braun

Old 08-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Fordzlla
Elder User
check out the forums at www.fiberglassics.com THeres lots of good stuff there regarding old 'glass boats
I've replaced a transom, and it did work, but unless the boat was a rare "glassic", I dont think i would do it again. It's just not worth the time, expense, and effort.
I started with a $50 boat, put $200 worth of materials and about 40 hours into it, and now I have a $75 boat.

I would have been better off finding an aluminum boat, or another 'glass boat with a blown engine or cosmetic issues.

That being said, If its your Dad's old boat that you learned to waterski on, or your attached to it for some other reason then go for it!

Old 08-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Methos
Junior User
Well, the boats really nothing special. But, it is my first boat and kind of hate to see it die this way. Figure if it's going to end up dead then it's better to kill it with my own hands than to let it rot away. Of course, its just an old beater, but I've learned a lot (mainly, what to look for when buying an old boat! ) from it.

Don't mind doing the work really, kind of a good relaxation for me to have a project to unwind from the office. So, even though it might not really be worth it for the value of the boat I'm going to give it a shot and if nothing else see what I can learn from disecting it.

Thanks guys for the info and links. Looks like I'll be busy the next couple days doing some light reading.