1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What did you do to your truck this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Peter! I keep thinking of your truck as built from exhaust pipe carburetors! I am duly impressed!

I finished a THOROUGH cleanup and reorganization of my garage this weekend with my son's help. OH JOY - there is room around old Earl to stand and work again! Today I did the first actual work on Earl in over two months! I grit blasted and painted the valve covers for the second time. Someone dumped solvent on them after they were done the first time.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:47 PM
2000n55
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pulled out the rad. that sprung a leak. so that finally got the tilt hood install going

Old 08-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Earl
Peter! I keep thinking of your truck as built from exhaust pipe carburetors! I am duly impressed!

I finished a THOROUGH cleanup and reorganization of my garage this weekend with my son's help. OH JOY - there is room around old Earl to stand and work again! Today I did the first actual work on Earl in over two months! I grit blasted and painted the valve covers for the second time. Someone dumped solvent on them after they were done the first time.
I now realize that my earlier post could be miscontrued. I shall rephrase:

Peter! I haven't looked at your gallery in a while. I can remember when you had the exhaust pipe carburetor. I am duly impressed with your progress!

Now you'll have to post the infamous photo so all the newbies will know what an exhaust pipe carburetor is. Enquiring minds want to know!

Old 08-08-2005, 09:37 PM
3 of 7
Senior User
I fixed my CCV manifold vent and flushed the cooling system and changed it with the Texaco CAT ELC only to find out afterwards that it maybe wasn't such a good idea in a 95 PSD...... I guess next weekend I'll do it again and go back to good old green.....

Old 08-08-2005, 10:07 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Earl
I now realize that my earlier post could be miscontrued. I shall rephrase:

Peter! I haven't looked at your gallery in a while. I can remember when you had the exhaust pipe carburetor. I am duly impressed with your progress!

Now you'll have to post the infamous photo so all the newbies will know what an exhaust pipe carburetor is. Enquiring minds want to know!
When will this reign of terror end? When will the iron hand that moderates our truckful dreams and schemes relax its deadly grip? Oh the humanity!

OK George, in the interest of historical background for some of the newer viewers, this is the tailpipe carb, this is how my truck came to me.

Giving equal time to a later view of the engine bay, I submit, what is, in my feeble mind, the essence of rodding my truck.

cheerfully submitted by the oppressed, himmelberg

Old 08-08-2005, 10:15 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
The original picture looks like the firewall on my truck except the color is different, but for the rust, it is the same color. The after picture looks a lot better than mine.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:16 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Himmelburg very nice, saw it on the hamb and ment to comment. George, I hear that the valve covers your running(ford letters) are incorrect, and that a plain, cover should be used, any truth to this?

Old 08-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Earl
Postmaster
He!!, at this point I really don't care. I'm tired, dirty, it's midnight, and I still have to put away the grit blast cabinet exhaust hose and compressor. The wife won't let me get in bed until I take a thorough shower. On second thought, I won't let me get in bed without a thorough shower too.

Where's my medication?

OK, I had to look. All the Power King engines for 1956 have the FORD logo on them along with the rectangle stampings. Nana nana poo poo.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:25 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
George, you could add 40 horses by using the tbird valve covers!

Old 08-09-2005, 09:09 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
H'berg, great panel! Is that body color around the edge?

Old 08-09-2005, 10:22 AM
NDspeed
Junior User
i took the front end off of my 55. i have two bolts to cut off. and the passenger side will be off. so now i can start working on the body there. it is pretty dang wrinkled on the right side

Old 08-09-2005, 12:17 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fatfenders56
H'berg, great panel! Is that body color around the edge?
Thanks. Just red primer. Much of the body of my truck now has red primer so I guess your guess is right in those places. I might leave it as it tends to relate to the dark part of my two toned upholstery. Its a dark brown leaning toward the red part of the spectrum. Kind of like red oxide primer.

"Hey you can't be an artist and be afraid of a little color"

quoting himself, himmelberg

Old 08-09-2005, 12:59 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good quote. My personal favorite, ''Nothing suceeds like excess'' I guess that's why I have so much of it

Old 08-09-2005, 02:14 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,792 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders56
good quote. My personal favorite, ''Nothing suceeds like excess'' I guess that's why I have so much of it
Fenders,

Another good one is "if its worth doing, its worth overdoing"...

...as spoken by my buddy Tony "Overkill" Kilgore

Bobby

Old 08-10-2005, 11:40 AM
angus
Posting Guru
All I did with my '57 Ford panel truck last weekend was drive it, which required pouring about $90 of gas into the tank. I did spend a few minutes rubbing polish into the aluminum slot mag rims, though.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your truck this weekend?