1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What did you do to your truck this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:47 PM
29abone
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face The lost weekend

I've been working off and on all summer trying to get my truck to run. I regapped the plugs, installed new spiral wound plug wires, a new large cap and rotor and tried to start it. Ran like crap, the carb was leaking and ran really bad. Replaced he power valve, needle and seat, and accel diaphram. No leaks but wouldn't start. Checked the float, it sank. I replaced it with a new one. Still no start. Thinking I burned up my Pertronix when I left the key on overnight, I replaced it with a Pertronix II. Still no start. Now I am thinking I gapped the plugs too wide. Check that tomorrow.

Dang this is fun!!!

Old 08-02-2005, 01:52 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by seawulff
I'm not doing a frame up restoration but as close as you can get since so far everything that I touch I replace or break so I have to replace it. I guess that's what amateurs like me wind up doing.

Chris
Yep - pros don't fix nothing anymore - just replace the entire item. You can bet a pro would have installed a rebuilt setup, or convinced the owner to upgrade to power steering and power disk brakes.

They would rather take their commission on $2000 worth of kits than work a few hours doing old-fashioned mechanics. How many would know or even bother to look up the fact that manual steering on your truck only requires 1 to 2 lbs torque to turn the wheel?

Old 08-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amen to that, WillyB. "Mechanics" today are just part changers. You wouldn't believe some of the answers I get to questions about mechanical stuff. It seems that the mechanic has to have been doing it for at least 30 years just to understand the concept of rebuilding anything.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:56 PM
StevenK
Senior User
I agree with WillyB - it's very hard to find someone good that doesn't start by shotgunning parts.

I'm pretty lucky as there is an older fellow in town that I affectionatly call "Wes the Wizard". He's old school and gets definite enjoyment in solving problems. I can usually get things close, but then he can make the old iron purr like a sewing machine (his words). Taint cheap tho (my words)

As for me this weekend, me an momma took the f2 to a park down by the river about 15 miles away, and left a few rings on the picnic table.

Life is good!!

Old 08-08-2005, 09:31 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Amen to that, WillyB. "Mechanics" today are just part changers. You wouldn't believe some of the answers I get to questions about mechanical stuff. It seems that the mechanic has to have been doing it for at least 30 years just to understand the concept of rebuilding anything.
Randy, part of the problem stems from the factories themselves. Not many parts can be overhauled anynmore. You don't overhaul alternators, starters, brake boosters, master cylinders, etc, etc, etc at the dealers anymore. The dealers can't even get the parts. Back when I was turning a wrench the parts department had a good stock of bearing, bushings, brushes, diode bridges, rectifiers, diagraphm kits, or whatever part it took to rebuild the component. Its not so anymore. The dealer makes the big commisions on the parts the mechanic (and I use the term loosely) gets screwed on the labor time as R&R time is alot less than R&R and overhaul.

Glad I'm not in the business anymore

Bobby

Old 08-08-2005, 09:42 AM
docholiday72tx
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is also true about magazines. Several years ago they would tell you what part to use from the local U pull it yard to do a cool upgrade. Now they just give you the number and address to order up a kit. It doesn't realy take a lot of talent to install some kit, and they are often way over priced. Building a truck is just like everything else now.....just throw it together with no real quality and spend 3 times as much money. I'm not realy the kit kind of guy. I still spend half a day almost every saturday going to the wrecking yard to look for parts even though I may not need any just because I might find something that would be just perfect on my old truck.
Doc

Old 08-08-2005, 10:01 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Doc,
I'm with you. I don't have the money or the inclination to just order all the parts (while I admit I'd love to have that kind of money....) I enjoy making thing work and/or fabricating my own parts. My truck is a low budget truck (mainly because I can' t convince the kids to give up food and shelter)

Gotta luv it!

Bobby

Old 08-08-2005, 10:27 AM
oldRedTruck
Senior User
How about what DIDN'T I do to my truck this weekend?

My fuel gauge doesn't work & hasn't since I bought it in April
(it's the brass float that's bad)
well weeks ago I finally got a new brassfloat & a few weekends after that got around to attempting the fix. Well after I started to drop the tank I ran outta daylight & patience as it was very hot out & the skeeters were eating me alive so I put it back together (it's my DD)..
so yesterday I get all the tools ready again, the creeper, turn the music on,
spray the bolts again with PB blaster & start wrenching..
..it's turning hard when I realize I filled up on Friday *sigh* $*&#@!!

maybe next weekend (rolls eyes)

Old 08-08-2005, 12:13 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, back to the original ?, this weekend (8-6/8-7) I stripped all the paint off the right hand side (door, front and rear fender, cab) and did a 'way cool mod (I think) on the running board. I used the 1.5 in reveal from a wrecked front fender to blend the board into the fenders. Eliminated the 'v' gap where the board and fender meet. Pics to follow, I am almost at the end of a roll of film! Still looking toward driving to Knoxville!

Old 08-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Phity Five
Junior User
Talking

Fiddle with the horn to get it to work. Re-installed driver window that fell out of the track, slid down the inside of door and cracked... she'll get new glass next spring if this one holds-up.

Took my 12 year old daughter for several rides/errands... man she loves to ride in this truck!!! She loves the vent windows that direct air right at you... better than a/c she says She inquired about shifting the gears: "Do you just move that stick back and forth or is there some pattern to it?" She thinks the "H" pattern is alot more complicated than the "D" in an automatic... yeh, but I told her the "D" wasnt as much fun. She loves the comfort and bounce of the bench seat and surmised it was that way to compensate for the harsh truck ride.

Anyway, we had a great ole time just yaking, riding, lettin the wind blow on us through the vent window, and nodden/smilin at people nodden/smiling at us.

On a practicle note, I learned that if I MASH the clutch pedal "into" the floorboard, I dont grind first gear as bad. Sounds like a quick adjustment to fix, though I know well enough one thing will lead to another.

Later,

Brian

Old 08-08-2005, 03:08 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Brian,
That sounds like a great way to spend the weekend. You made me smile, thanks
Bobby

Old 08-08-2005, 05:07 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A woman and her truck, a beautiful thing!

Old 08-08-2005, 05:50 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New instrument panel for big fat gauges.

engine turned, himmelberg

Old 08-08-2005, 06:28 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Made a cover for my fuse block. Aligned my hood, kept the ice pack on my knee injury and went for a little cruise in the evening.
As for the mechanics? You guys are right on. However, several people don't rebuild alternators, carbs, etc. for the fact that it's almost cheaper to buy a new part rather than buy individual stuff like bearings, brushes, etc. Your better off cost wise buying the whole item and just install it, now a days.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Himmelberg, that is a nice looking instrument cluster!!!! Even my tired eyes could read those.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your truck this weekend?