What Snowmobile to get??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 07:08 PM
moose94
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Snowmobile to get??

Hey guys,

I am interested in snowmobile's, have been wanting one for a couple of years and now i think i am going to get one. I've got a 4wheeler already so a snowmobile is next. I've been told to get a newer one 1998+ so that's what i'm looking at. Also 2 people told me that ya can't keep piston's in Artic Cats or Ski Doo's but i don't think so. What do you guys say?

I know Polaris has been around for a while but I really like the MXZ500 and MXZ700 Formula III. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Old 07-31-2005, 11:16 PM
Ranger_113
New User
POLARIS....Thats all I need to say

Old 08-01-2005, 04:39 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best thing to do would be to subscribe to the rec.sport.snowmobile newdsgroup.

My family and I have 10 sleds Polaris, doo, cat and yamaha. I'm partial to doo, but everyone makes a decent sled. but the suspension tech inccreases VAstly year to year.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
All of the manufacturers make good sleds nowdays and they all have problems from time to time.
Im partial to Polaris myself but thats mostly because thats all my parents owned when I was growing up.
The sleds Yamaha is making right now are pretty sweet, they use engines that have their origins in crotch rockets.
Octane

Old 08-02-2005, 04:46 PM
moose94
Posting Guru
Hmmm that's good to know about yamaha. I think i'm going to look at the doo's. Just because i love the style. And maybe the artic cats. Thanks guys and keep them coming...i know some of u have sleds out there!

Old 08-02-2005, 06:00 PM
dorkpunch
Tuned
anything thats made in canada. especially if it was built in the 70's! My recomendation is to find a Ski-Doo Elan 250 (the two cylinder, not the single). Its fast for its size and light enough that 2 guys can lift it up and over the side of a truck to load it. I've even got an 87 yamaha exciter 570 id trade you for (once you get it, that is! ) !!

Old 08-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by moose94
Hmmm that's good to know about yamaha.
Just be warned, Yamaha has a lot of problems with breaking rear suspensions and if you run them wide-open a lot they burn oil like crazy. Also, the RX-1s were kind of known for breaking connecting rods.
Originally Posted by moose94
I think i'm going to look at the doo's. Just because i love the style. And maybe the artic cats. Thanks guys and keep them coming...i know some of u have sleds out there!
The Doos are good if you ride the ditches but they arent the most comfortable ride in the world. They force you to ride with your legs under you and unless you are in shape its uncomfortable. They also have very little wind protection, so they are a cold ride. However, when the trail is really, really rough you will be riding tall, wide and handsome on the REV.
As for Arctic Cat, they have a lot of engine problems but when they run right they are very fast.
The Polaris sleds are nice, but the 700 and 900 Fusions are known for some serious vibration. Id go with the '06 Polaris Fusion 600 H.O. I think thats going to be THE sled to beat this winter.
Octane

Old 08-02-2005, 07:47 PM
dmp437
Elder User
Artic Cat F9 if you have the need for speed. F7 if you're more sane.

Around here, Polaris brings up the rear, if they're running at all. A lot of guys never got over the "forgot to drill the oil hole" debacle of a few years ago so it's Cats and Doo's all the way.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:14 PM
rrzielin
Junior User
Ski Doo REV or at least one of the newer system setups stage II is smooth, but if I remember correctly you'll have to look at a 2002 or better. You say you are riding an ATV, you surely will like the REV platform ride style. It's more of a motorcross style and really smooth on beatup weekend trails. The rides are good on all of the current sleds and the newer the sled, the better and smoother the ride, that's kinda duh, but major improvements have been made in ride quality in the last 5-7 years. I broke in my sledding on a ski-doo boggie wheel suspension. Good Luck and stay away from triple cylinder motors. If you are going to be running in deep snow often, being you are in Canada, look at the summit model. Check the manufactures web sites, they go back about 8-10 years with pics and specs of the various models.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dmp437
Artic Cat F9 if you have the need for speed. F7 if you're more sane.

Around here, Polaris brings up the rear, if they're running at all. A lot of guys never got over the "forgot to drill the oil hole" debacle of a few years ago so it's Cats and Doo's all the way.
Lets not forget about the '03 Arctic Cats where the dealers told people to premix the gas at 20:1 because Cat couldnt figure out why the oil pumps kept failing, not the mention the F7s that are known for sudden engine failure and Cat has no reason why it happens.
All brands have problems from time to time....
Octane

Old 08-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Fordzlla
Elder User
IMHO, one brand is as good as the next.
I've had yamahas, polaris' and skidoos over the years and they all had good and bad points.
Nobody makes a really bad sled these days.
If your buying used, look at the condition closely, and no matter what brand you buy, make sure you have a dealer close by. Its no fun having to spend your riding time chasing down parts 100 miles away, or having to wait because the dealer doesnt carry the basic stuff like springs and cables.

As far as blowing pistons, thats almost always caused by the machine being incorrectly jetted or by poor maintenance. both are preventable. If a certain brand of sled in your area keeps blowing up, then its probably a problem with the dealer who sets them up out of the crate.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fordzlla
As far as blowing pistons, thats almost always caused by the machine being incorrectly jetted or by poor maintenance. both are preventable. If a certain brand of sled in your area keeps blowing up, then its probably a problem with the dealer who sets them up out of the crate.
Not on an Arctic Cat F7 that has EFI...
Octane

Old 08-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Elwood Blues
Junior User
I have ridden Skidoo for years and love them. I have a 99 MXZ 600 and my last trip to Michigan last year, I rented a new REV. The ride and drive is totally different and BETTER than the previous design. I love my ZX Chassis, but the REV is hands down better.

I was sceptical of the new seating position the REV offers, but I am 6'2" and it is very comfortable on long smooth trails and unbeatable on the twisties. The windshield is low on any sled unless you get a work sled, so wind is not an issue.

I am in Illinois, but my 1999 Skidoo MXZ 600 is for sale, only 840 miles! I am getting a new REV sled.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:07 PM
fordfury469
Elder User
as being a mechanic in the snowmobile world. all machines do have there problems but what wouldnt with the abuse they are put through. ive seen alot of blown engines by guys who think they can mechanic and tune there own sled with no idea how a carb works. or tune there own clutch so it over revs and blows up. as far as the 03 artic cat i dont know who ever told you to mix 20:1 for your first tank. im surprised it even ran. never had a problem with any oil pumps going out over here. f7 is a good running snowmoblie but has it problem just like polaris did for some years with crank failures. but now they got it all worked out. all sleds have there problem but for that much money they should all come with there own mechanic. in my opinion snowmobiles are fun but cost to much, and are all junk.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:05 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Ya'll shoud subscribe to rec.sport.snowmobiles using your isp's news server

Quick Reply: What Snowmobile to get??