Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Unusual things at the fair..

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unusual things at the fair..

OK, there's always animals, rides, games.... did you see anything unusual - unique?

We went yesterday... in the parking lot around 2 or so I saw a billowing cloud of black smoke. Then flames shot through the smoke and went up 20 feet or so. Turns out it looked like one of those golf carts they scoot around in. Funny thing was my daughter was just describing a golf cart she saw go up in flames earilier in the week. I don't think anyone was hurt - sure hope not.... it was burning in the parking lot and a couple of cars close probably got some blistered paint.

I also saw a couple of old Farmalls... with V-6s in them. I was trying to look and talk to the guy that built them but the family was off and running so I didn't hardly even see them. They were painted up nice and he had straight pipes going up on either side - looked pretty nice. Looked like an H and an M. DId anyone get a good look at them? I wondered if he had hydraulics and if so how he did them.

WHat else did you see?

Old 08-22-2005, 10:25 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We never made it to DM. Couldn't fit the family on the back of the motorcycle, and was too cheap to drive the truck! I will give the Nebraska State Fair a shot next week... it's only 45 miles away.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:03 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Well... I heard it got voted "Best State Fair" but I don't know the validity of that.

It was pretty much like any other year. Personally, I like it OK.... there are some pretty good shows and I like the old engines, etc. My wife enjoys it alot, but she likes spending an entire day in a flea market too! LOL.

There is SOMETHING for everyone - even flaming golf carts. I think it's a good thing just to spend the day with the family away from home and the routine. If nothing else ya get that once a year funnelcake, corndog, whatever on a stick, etc.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:28 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You know I wouldn't mind going and seeing things like the V6 tractors, and some of hte livestock, and other things there is just one thing about the fair I don't like------------------people.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:21 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
Actually, it seemed like a pretty normal crowd. I didn't see any spandex at least! ... and the people around the livestock are always nice. There was a young couple getting ready to take their horses out... and they stopped and invited me to bring my little ones up to pet the horses, etc.

y know, on the last day - $4 to get in and free parking if you have 5 or more in your vehicle.... so it was only $20 for me to get 5 adults and 4 (under 5) kids. It wasn't a "high energy" day, but was kinda nice hang'n out and taking in a few sights.

I'll go back next year ... even if it's just to see the old hit and miss engines and the tractors. BTW - thinking it over... I think it was V8s in those Farmalls - we went by so fast I didn't even see the plugs or exhaust to be able to tell! Guess I have to go back next year for sure!!

Old 08-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Flounder1967
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife, son, ans i went Last saturday for the first time. We plan on going back next year. I mssed the tractors,b ut saw the butter cow and butter Woods. I got a smile out of those. Next uear i want to see more of the animals. I love the shows, but to be honest i don't know what i'm looking for.