please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 05:31 PM
lgreg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question please help!!

I have a 64 f250 truck with a rear seal leaking. Can someone tell me if I can change it from the oil pan or I have to pull the motor. Thanks

Old 07-31-2005, 07:01 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would try to change it under the truck if you have a clean place to work, not somewhere where dirt can blow up into the open engine.

Hopefully, your crank isn't damaged, but it's probably that the old rope seal just gave up.

You will appreciate those rear motor mounts, so you don't have huge crossmembers blocking your access to the pan.

The rear seal is in its own cap, so you don't have to loosen the mainbearing to get the job done. (This is something that I love about the Y Block -- that's how engines should be made!)

Finally, make sure you get a new neoprene seal, instead of one of those ropes, and you should be able to slide the upper half in place, once the rope upper is removed. The bottom, of course, will be a cinch. You'll need a new pan gasket too, of course. The cap that the seal fits in also has side seals that should come with the rear seal, along with instructions on how to get them to expand.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:36 PM
lgreg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the help!