Sponsored by:

After-Market Guages "how to"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 05:13 PM
lukedraper
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After-Market Guages "how to"?

I am thinking about installing some after market guages in one of the triple cluster brakets.

I have never done it and I am wondering the best way to hook them up.
Can i just tap in to the existing wiring in the dash or should I purchase new sensors for Water temp, oil pressure?

how do I hook up

1. Water Temp
2. OIL Pressure (mechanical)
3. Volt Meter

I already know how to wire for power and acc lights as I am good with hooking up stereo's and K/C lights and relays, I have just never installed guages

Can anyone provide a quick checklist?

I have a 89 302, AOD

Luke

Old 07-31-2005, 05:26 PM
lukedraper
Junior User
Ok, I will not be putting in a mechanical water or iol pressure guage. Do I just have to change out the senders and run new wires? I don't care if the ones in the dash still work.

Luke

Old 07-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
your better off putting in the mechanical guages. they are more reliable. i have them in both my running bronco's.

Old 07-31-2005, 09:19 PM
lukedraper
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jdenninger
your better off putting in the mechanical guages. they are more reliable. i have them in both my running bronco's.

Talk to me about ease of installation. I have no problems drilling holes but I don't want to spend an entire day installing them either LOL

Luke

Old 07-31-2005, 10:44 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
only holes to drill are to get fromn the engine compartment to the cab. the oil pressure tube mounts in place of the oil sender and the water temp probe mount in the hole for the factory water sensor.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:10 AM
Big Daddy J
Senior User
If you can handle installing stereos, you'll be okay with the gauges. JD is right about the mechanical gauges...much better. Especially for the oil pressure gauge. They'll come with instructions and a Chilton's manual will be handy.

Go for it.

Jason
87 XLT 302

Old 08-04-2005, 08:43 PM
lukedraper
Junior User
Ok, Kragen had the Autometer Auto Guage triple mechanical set on sale today so I bought it.

Questions

1. Do I replace my electric oil sender with the fitting for the mechanical guage? Where exactly is it located pass or driver side? Any way to make the dash one work along side the mechanical?

2. where is the factory sender for the water temp located? radiator somewhere?

3. Best wire to tap in for accurate volt reading?

4. will removing the factory senders effect the way the engine runs? It's an 89 with a 302 so i wouldn't imagine they had all the complex computer ****e yet but want to ask before I install and my truck runs like crap

5. Where the heck fire should I mount it LOL

Thanks again

luke

Old 08-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
Ok, Kragen had the Autometer Auto Guage triple mechanical set on sale today so I bought it.

Questions

1. Do I replace my electric oil sender with the fitting for the mechanical guage? Where exactly is it located pass or driver side? Any way to make the dash one work along side the mechanical?

drivers side front, to get both working you would have to get a T, and theres not a lot of room

front of the block

read the instuctions they will tell you

4. will removing the factory senders effect the way the engine runs? It's an 89 with a 302 so i wouldn't imagine they had all the complex computer ****e yet but want to ask before I install and my truck runs like crap

won't affect - mine didn't

where ever you can see it easiest while driving that doesn't look like crap and that the lines will all reach

Old 08-05-2005, 12:07 AM
lukedraper
Junior User
Thanks Jeff

Where did you mount yours?

Luke

Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Jdenninger
Elder User
mine are in a custom console. picture isn't the clearest, but:

Old 08-05-2005, 03:35 PM
cje07
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil sending unit is located driver side, 10 o'clock to the oil filter (it is bell shaped on an octagon-looking piece of metal) some have suggested copper tubing as opposed to the nylon tubing. I covered my nylon tubing with wiring loom to give it added protection. As suggested by someone else you can build a "T" fitting (parts from your local home Depot) so you can the best of both worlds. Here are a few samples:

This also is located on the drivers side, front of block close to the valve cover (red wire). If you choose the wrong sending unit (there is also one located on the passenger side under your throttle body) your engine will run like crap.

I'm going to rewire mine directly to the battery...that way I know exactly what the battery is doing. Bad grounds can cause inaccurate readings.

Like I stated above only if you grab the wrong ones. These monitor engine performance and the CPU adjusts accordingly.

Since I don't smoke, I took out the ash tray and drilled the bracket (triple gauge) where that went. I think for your year you can get a triple gauge pillar pod that fits by the windshild/door like this one:

Let me know if you have anymore questions or you need more pics.