1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assembly Plant Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 05:10 AM
MikeTEC
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assembly Plant Quality

Looking at a used 2002 F-250 PSD today.

From my reasearch, I have found most 2002 F-250s were built in the following plants: Allen Park, (Michigan),Kentucky Truck (Jefferson County, Ky.) and Cuautitian (Mexico)

Which plant, if anyone knows, put out the best and trucks during 2002 and did some plants have production or quality problems in 2002? Thanks, in advance, for your help and comments!

Mike

Old 07-30-2005, 02:31 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My understanding is Kentucky had the best Quality in 02 ! Now! I couldn't tell you which plant is doing the best in 06 runs.
Kentucky had paint quality problems though minor.
Just my $.02
Rich

Old 07-30-2005, 02:37 PM
captchas
the 250 to 450 are from the ktp. the 550 up to 750 from mich. i would not worry about this at all. a used truck is only as good as it was cared for

Old 07-30-2005, 03:09 PM
MikeTEC
Junior User
Thanks, Capt. Charlie. We just drove the truck this morning and it is very clean, well care for and nice. Has 54K on it. An Army Officer, Helcopter Pilot, is the owner and he seems miticulus and detailed in the care.

However, as posted in another section, when starting off from 0-5 MPH, there is a small "clunk". Otherwise it runs and drives like a new truck!

Any ideas? Thanks so much for the help!

Mike

Old 07-30-2005, 03:19 PM
captchas
sounds like you may have found a good one, most mil. people are the way it looks. wish i could help with the noise .but with out hearing it i'm at a loose.

Old 07-30-2005, 07:43 PM
MikeTEC
Junior User
I will have it checked out by a Ford mechanic. I don't know if there are codes for a small transmission glitch or clunk or not. It might be something else loose in the suspension? Who know....At any rate, the rest of the truck seems solid and there is a record of all routine fluid changes, including the transmission.

Mike

Old 07-30-2005, 07:46 PM
MikeTEC
Junior User
The VIN number showed the truck was assembled in the Ford Mexico plant. Took it over some rough roads and there were no rattles and gave an amazingly smooth ride. Just the small clunk at start off has me a little concerned.

Old 07-31-2005, 06:48 AM
Lnd Svyr
Senior User
My '03 clunks all the time starting forward and reverse. And, it made a helluva clunk doing about 15 MPH and switching into 4wd. Rides fine, though.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:42 AM
MAXEY
Senior User
sounds like a good deal,with as many problems as these beast have with it at the 54k point and no seriouse problems it seem sthat it would be past the initial pain in the butt area
mine clunks when going in to 4x4 but thats normal, the owners manual even talks about it (atleast i hope its normal )

oh and just something i heard the northern plants usually put the anti corrosion stuff on the frame with out it having to be an option while the others dont due to where there sold or something- thats what i heard anyways i cant prove it though

Old 07-31-2005, 08:53 AM
MikeTEC
Junior User
Is there something called a slip joint in 2WD models that might cause the noise starting off? If so, can it be lubricated? Just grasping straws....

Old 07-31-2005, 08:59 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=FortyFords]My understanding is Kentucky had the best Quality in 02 !

Whew-hoo!! That's always nice to hear, since I have a 2002 F-2fiddy

DS

Old 07-31-2005, 09:36 AM
south_paw
Junior User
My 02 F250 was from Mexico. Total POS! The paint started cracking and peeling so bad that Ford bought the truck back from me. Window molding fell off,steering wheel squeak, lots of rust on the unprotected undercarriage(it looked like the Titanic),all of this BEFORE I got to 20K miles!! My 05 replacement Kentucky truck is prefect so far in fit and finish. No VIN's starting in #3 for me thanks

Old 07-31-2005, 01:34 PM
MikeTEC
Junior User
Understand a lot of the F-250s and F-350s are from Mexico that are sold here in Texas. Hope this truck turns out to be as as good as my new Sony computer. It too, was made in Mexico. Glad your new truck is a better one.

Old 07-31-2005, 03:45 PM
RockinB
Junior User
That clunk is probably an old, dried up, half eaten burrito Pancho left hidden somewhere in the truck.

By the way. Do those Mex made trucks sell cheaper new or used? I'd think they should.

Last edited by RockinB; 07-31-2005 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Change
Old 08-25-2005, 03:25 PM
MikeTEC
Junior User
Just to update, my wife and I bought the truck and are very pleased with it.

Had our local Ford dealership pull up an "Oasis Report" and the truck has only been back for warranty work twice since it was purchased new, once for a blower motor and another for a squeak in in the steering column. It was manufactured 08-09-01 and is a 2002 loaded XLT with bucket seats and rear child restraints fasterners, which was a deal clincher as we have small grandkids.

We have put a new Undercover lid and replaced the two OE batteries with two new Optimas. The OE batteries were still fine, but felt since the truck is about four years old, it would be good insurance.

Apparently it has never been used to tow with, as the towing connector is still in the original package.

The previous owner used Rotella T 15-40W and changed it between 3-4K miles. Did all his own oil and fuel filter changes, with oil and filter purchased throught the milatary commissary. Seemed like a meticulus owner, being an Army helicopter pilot just back from Iraq.

We bought some KC back up lights which I will have our dealership install, along with a KC dedicated switch to turn on the backup lights separately when hitching our travel trailer at night or other rearward lighting needs.

The tires are new Pirelli Scorpions, which have about 5K on them. We are Michelin fans, but I will leave these on for a year or two, as it would be wasteful to throw away practically new tires.

After researching the "bump" I mentioned when starting off, our Ford Master mechanic is fairly sure it is the slip joint needing special grease; not a major repair item.

Well, that is about it. Thanks so much for your help and look forward to enjoying this fine forum.

Mike

Quick Reply: Assembly Plant Quality