which transmission preferred for street truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:01 PM
custom69
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which transmission preferred for street truck

hi, I have the big t18 transmission in my truck. The transmission is bullet proof and still runs smooth, but its not the kind of transmission that I would like to have to throw gears in while racing acura's and honda's. What kind of transmission should i be looking for if i want a transmission that i can put in my f100 for less than 300$ that will shift quicker, or would it be to smart to switch to an automatic and put a c6 in it.
thanks,
cole

Old 07-29-2005, 03:09 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, there are varying opinions on this, so here's mine:

I am of the opinion that an automatic is better for a street truck. When street racing, you really dont want to have to take the time to shift gears. While you're shifting, he's accelerating. I say, get a C6, rebuild it yourself, and put a shift kit in it. I have one, it's just instantaneous shifts, bark the tires, and go. You do loose a little more power through a C6, but unless you've got professional drag racer skills for shifting your manual, you're probably better off with an automatic.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No real chance of putting much of anything in for $300, unless you find a deal somewhere.

Ya, a C6 will make it shifter simple..........but you can't beat a nice toploader 4spd for rowing gears!! Ya, the automatic guys will tell you how wrong that is...but that's them. A decent 4 spd will run you $500, plus a shifter. You might find a deal somewhere, but most swap meets want that minimum. You used to get them for $100 15 yrs ago.

Shifting= not accelerating?? Hmmm, you need to ride with me!!

With all equal...the stick shift will out run an automatic hands down. The power loss is too great. This is drag racing...not someone playing on the street.

Last edited by Freightrain; 07-29-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:34 PM
fordeverpower
Postmaster
my opinion is to keep the t18 and run over honda's instead of racing them. or get a c6 and send me the t18. I will email you with the details.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Six Niner
Senior User
i'm with freighttrain, if you know how to shift there isnt much downtime between shifts personally i love the feel of the toploader but to find one for 3 bills is not easy. i wonder how one of the b&g t-10s would work in our trucks. they used to put them in the big galaxies. hmmm.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rusty70f100
Well, there are varying opinions on this, so here's mine:

I am of the opinion that an automatic is better for a street truck. When street racing, you really dont want to have to take the time to shift gears. While you're shifting, he's accelerating. I say, get a C6, rebuild it yourself, and put a shift kit in it. I have one, it's just instantaneous shifts, bark the tires, and go. You do loose a little more power through a C6, but unless you've got professional drag racer skills for shifting your manual, you're probably better off with an automatic.
I agree with Rusty. You don't have to row the auto and they will tow more than the stick anymore too.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Putt
Posting Guru
The BW(Borg Warner) T10 is nowhere near as tough as Ford's T&C(Transmission and Chassis division) Toploader is. I wore out a BW T10 in about 40-50K miles beyond the point of even rebuilding it!! I now have a Toploader!!!

Old 07-29-2005, 10:26 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
T-10's suck, in a 65 442 with cam, intake and head work the cluster would pull away from the mainshaft as the shaft would elongate the case hole. In the 69 AMX w/464" the only box that would handle power was a iron Chrysler 4-speed. A 435 box set up can be speed shifted but then why as it's a wide ratio 3 speed and you'll be below power rpm's at shifts. Number one, the toploader and Chrysler's iron case 4-speed, trust me as I have broken many transmissions in the past (not normal driving habits).
.....=o&o>.....

Old 07-29-2005, 10:27 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree the C6 auto is better for what you are needing. My truck has a 4spd NP435 and this is a "truck" tranny. It was not designed for racing...it was designed for working. Quick shifts??? No Way...

Old 07-30-2005, 02:06 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
tranny options

Custom, there are no options in your price range. The tranny you need, a wide ratio toploader, is probably going to cost more than the 300 $. The one you want is the wide ratio, 2.78/1.77/1.33/1.00. The close ratio ( 2.32 ) doesn't give enough help off the line. I would learn to shift that truck tranny the best you can ( I know, the ratio is WAY too wide ), and work on saving up funds. Then get a top loader or a Tremec TKO. The Tremecs are really cool, and have several ratios available, with some of the firsts being 2.95, and some 3.24, and overdrive in fifth. Pluse they bolt onto the bell you already have. But they cost about 1500-1700$. I'm rather surprized anyone suggested a C6. They're durable, but they are also a horsepower sponge, soaking up 60, thats right, 60, horsepower. Your 4 spd 'eats' about 15hp. And that line about autos being able to tow more, nonsense, it ain't true. A four speed ( especially truck style ) can tow more, but you have to know how to do it, lots of folks have never been taught. Automatics are easy, and convenient, but they offer ZERO advantages for racing or working. How much racing are you planning on doing ? You might also consider the Clark 280 series 5 spd, from a bigger truck ( F6&700s ). My Clark has 6.99/4.09/2.25/1.47/1.00 ratios, which is wider than drag racing really needs, but is a very nice do whatever you want kinda truck tranny. In a drag race, you'd use 2nd for about 15ft, then 3,4,5th, as if it were a four speed . I would imagine that traction will be a problem before trannys are. DF

Old 07-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I keep hearing about how much power is suppose to be soaked up by the C6 and I just don't by it. That power would have to be turned into heat and the tranny would glow red to disapate that kind of energy. Besides back in the dark ages I owned a pair of 1969 Torino (actually they are a Fairline body style) Cobras with 428CJs in both. One a C6 and the other a toploader. Rear wheel horsepower on a chassis dyno, the difference in horsepower was closer to 15 and the C6 had 20 times the miles on it.

Old 07-30-2005, 03:20 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
trannies

Bear, well, nothing is being sold here. But those numbers were compiled by some guy at a tranny shop who tested them all on a tranny dyno of some kind. They could also mean that he was not very skilled at building C6s. Parasitic power losses can be reduced with careful building and torrington bearings and that sort of thing. But even the best C6 is going lose more power than a toploader 4 spd. In your example, the differance was 15 rwhp. If you are going drag racing against a light car, do you want to give up that advantage ? I don't. And besides, my left foot would get bored sitting there doing nothing. In the interest of full disclosure, my '71 2wd has a C6 in front of it's 390. But I am embarrased and ashamed that it is there. If someone wants to donate a nice 4 or 5 spd to me, I'll swap it out. DF

Old 07-30-2005, 03:20 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I'll throw in another vote for the C6. They are tough as nails, very street friendly, very truck friendly. I just like Autos in trucks. it's not like I am manual-phobic. I ran a 6 speed in my 02 camaro SS. And even in those F-Body cars, the fastest of the fast were running autos, despite the manuals being quicker in stock/milder cars. When getting mine dynoed, I was speaking with an experienced dyno tuner. he said that he has seen significant HP drops to the rear wheels, when folks switched from a manual to an auto. But, he said most of those folks also saw improved ETs.

As for towing: it may be hard to explain why, but most every vehicle manufacturer gives a higher tow rating to the auto equipped light-trucks.

not anywhere near $300, but Jackson racing offers street/strip C6 with torque converters to your specs, free shipping and a 2 year warranty for $875.

Old 07-30-2005, 03:31 PM
custom69
Freshman User
Dinosaurfan does the clark transmission shift quicker than t18's and will the transmission bolt up to the bell that i have

Old 07-30-2005, 04:42 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well It use to be us Old clutch Jockey's... In the big trucks we only used the clutch to start off and stop..the rest of the time you timed your gears and rpm to the motor and shifted without the clutch...

But the problem was with the Newbie's as I once were..Tearing up trannies ..not knowing how to shift right with 13 speeds..

Now more and more Trucking companies are going with the automatic Allisons.. there more expensive to start with..But then again ya dont have some monkey hanging on the shifter and the air splitter!! LOL....

In a light weight Vehicle you can get away with abuseing a stick...But not with 80,000lbs behind you... I do have a little Time behind the wheel of 18 wheelers..I have had my CDL since 1972..... (not bragging) just been there done that..

If the average Joe..knew how to drive a stick shift right..there wouldnt be a such thing as an automatic..Except for the lazy old farts like me..That just want too stuff it in gear and go!! LMAO!!!

JMO...

Russ

Quick Reply: which transmission preferred for street truck