Horn turns itself on and won't quit...Need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Skeetshooter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horn turns itself on and won't quit...Need help

All,
My 2000PSD has developed a new frustrating habit. When the truck is parked, key removed, at home or in a parking lot, the horn will start to blow as if a tripped the emergency (Red) button on the key-fob. Also, the key-fob won’t turn the horn off. I have to open the truck door to turn off the pulsing horn. My question is has anyone experienced this issue and how did you correct the problem. I am also open to any suggestions.
As a side note, the truck does not have an alarm system, factory or aftermarket.

Thanks in advance... Jeff in NM...OUT
Some call it a 6-pack, I call it a support group.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Big Red 00 F350
Junior User
until you get it corrected, you can stop the horn by pulling fuse #12 on the inside fuse panel. It is a 15 amp job.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:54 PM
Skeetshooter
Senior User
Thanks "Big Red 00" for the info. I pulled the inner fender out to reach the Damn plug for the horns. This becomes an angry job when you’re doing it at 0220 in the A.M. and you were awoken by the horn going off in the garage.

Thanks for the help... Jeff in NM...OUT
Some call it a 6-pack, I call it a support group

Old 07-29-2005, 05:22 PM
99turbo
Junior User
A couple of months ago, I was awakened at around 4 a.m. by my horn going off. A storm came in early hours of the morning. It rained a fairly good amount. As I was out in my underwear trying to pull the fuse to kill the horn I realized that the fuse box had water dripping down into it. I had a new windshield put into it and thus no more water running into the fuse box. This fixed my problem. I am guessing that your fuse box didn't get wet sitting in the garage. At least you could unhook your horn in the privacy of your garage. My neighbors thought I was nuts for working on my truck in my underwear. One of them came over to me and said she was about to call the police because she thought some drug addict was running around naked vandalizing vehicles.

Old 07-29-2005, 07:55 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Skeetshooter
All,
My 2000PSD has developed a new frustrating habit. When the truck is parked, key removed, at home or in a parking lot, the horn will start to blow as if a tripped the emergency (Red) button on the key-fob. Also, the key-fob won’t turn the horn off. I have to open the truck door to turn off the pulsing horn. My question is has anyone experienced this issue and how did you correct the problem. I am also open to any suggestions.
As a side note, the truck does not have an alarm system, factory or aftermarket.

Thanks in advance... Jeff in NM...OUT
Some call it a 6-pack, I call it a support group.
shorted relay, shorted switch in the wheel or the signal wire between the horn and relay is shorted to ground.

pull the wheel off and unplug the switches,
then try unplugging the relay if that does not work.