General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

tattoo parlor in lake geneva WI

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 07:43 PM
warrencowboy05
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tattoo parlor in lake geneva WI

i am seriously considering getting a tattoo next week and i am thinking about using the Lake Geneva Tattooing Co. ive heard some good things from the kids at school but i was wondering if any of you guys have any personal experiences with them? i just want to know if you guys thought it was a good place and if it was clean.

if nobody has any experience with them, what should i look for when i go up there? what are some common things to look for that will tell me if its a quality place?

and lastly, is there any kind of website online that has any reviews on tattoo parlors? i was tryin to find some earlier but i gave up and i figured id come here. you guys seem to know everythig gso im hopin you'll know this! thanks a bunch

adam

Old 07-29-2005, 12:07 AM
VikingBabe
Posting Guru
First off, make sure whatever design you decide on. IT'S the ONE. Whether off the wall or your own design, remember......it's there forever.

I see alot of designs being copied because "my buddy's got the same one" or what is the popular "flavor". That's ok. Right now it's Chinese or Japanese characters. Well, I would not have that myself. For one, that's not what I want anyway and I prefer my own artwork similar to what you can see decorated on my husband's weaponry (second sword for example)

Does it hurt? Well, that is relative. It's more like a scratchy bad sunburn feeling at least it was to me when I got my first one. A Celtic/Norse blackwork abstract "Raven" of my own design on my upper Left shoulder. Once the outline was started, the body's own "pain killers" (endorphuns) kicked in and mellowed the feeling out. It just felt alittle more irritating when he was coloring in the blackwork with the bundled needles.

I have Old Norse/viking artwork armbands that were Black w/ grey shading. These were based on the Mammen artstyle represented by these three "beasties" shown here Only when the design was being shaded in under my arm did it feel more "painful". But that area is always covered or hidden anyway.

By the way, there should be an autoclave for sterilizing the instruments with. The needles can be bought already bundled or the tattooist makes their own BUT these have to be sterilized too, packaged and used ONLY ON YOU. After the sessions are done, the artist will bent/break the needles and throw them away. Then clean up the machine/s and sterilize it/them in the autoclave for the next person. The needles are never used again.

What does the place look like?
Is the place clean?
Does he/she wear gloves?
Will they answer questions...even the dumbest (and none are "dumb").
Do they go over with you, carefully, on the after care of your tat. The "Do's & Don't's".
Be sure you follow the directions they give you to make sure your new tat will stay looking good as long as you live.

Here are some "Q&A" Tattoo Faqs that should help you. The advice here is pretty general and can be found in any reputable Tattoo site online to help you ask the right questions at the parlour.

Last edited by VikingBabe; 07-29-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:29 AM
fordman102
Elder User
Like Vikingbabe says about "be sure its the one you want'. I designed the 2 on my back and I never get to see them unless I look in a mirror. Think 3 times over about putting some ones name on you. They may be gone tomorrow but that tattoo will still be there untill you have it covered. Learned that lesson with a ex wife.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:09 AM
warrencowboy05
Senior User
yeah i joked with my girlfriend that i was gonna get her name! she would kill me and so would my parents! i decided that the only person i would get tattooed would be a kid because they cant get rid of you! well thanks for all the tips guys!

adam

Old 07-30-2005, 12:47 AM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
I'm unsure as to why you're getting a tatoo. if it's "I always thought it'd be neat," then don't waste your time. Call me stuck up or whatever, but I see tatoos, and... shake my head. I don't mean to offend anyone, but hey, why would you write on your body? It's there forever. You don't need anything to get you attention. You're already unique. It's not that cool. You also, more than likely, will get tired of it at some point. I'm just saying... why?

Ryan

Old 07-30-2005, 12:56 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my old girlfreind to the place in lake geneva, It was very clean, and they answered all of our questions. She got a dolphin on her ankle.

As far as me getting at tat, I never found anything that I really wanyted forever, untill a freiond showed me a few of his sketches. But I doubt I'd get one

Old 07-30-2005, 03:09 AM
A_G
Posting Guru
my dad always told me that he didnt really like tattoos, he siad the only one he would approve of is if i was in the army like the seals or something like that, i could have the emblem tattoed on my arm or sumthin.

Old 07-30-2005, 07:46 AM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will reserve comment on the way I feel about them, but just a note anyway. I do not know your aspirations for a career, so this may be a moot point. People in the business world that are hiring, are not real fond of their higher ranking employees having exposed tats . So, a big tat on your forearm with a big snake and a skull might lose you a new job prospect or two. jmo

Old 07-30-2005, 09:40 AM
habby
New User
Not every busness cares either. I used to worry that if I ever got one it might effect carrer or promotions. But then I met the CEO and head legal council of my current employer. More tatoos than I can count....go figure.

Old 07-30-2005, 03:57 PM
VikingBabe
Posting Guru
The oldest known tattoos were found on Oski, the Mummy found in the Alps. These were small simple dots and crosses on his back and behind his knees. Thought for health or protection symbols. In Indonisia, there are some tribes that have elaborate tattoos for religious and health protection.

The Scythians, both men and women, had tattoos of sacred animals or for rank/status. The famous "Scythian Princess" had three such on her. Horse, Stag and a bird. Back in the 50s, there was the famous Scythian chieftan/warrior with several elaborate tattoos of animals on his arms and legs. Romans did it, (anyone remember the scene of Maximus cutting away his "SQOR" tat on his upper arm?)

The arabs wrote seeing Rus Vikngs with tattoos of symbols of trees, "sticks" (more likely Runes) and other symbols done in blue on their bodies. The Celts also had tattoos that were perminent. In some Native American tribes, tattoos used to be common until christian missionaries stopped the practice. With women, tattooing around the mouth (i.e. Maori, Eskimo, Mohave) meant they came of age or showed marriage status...or for beautifying. The same doing this on another part of the body

Whether to beautify, for religious, magical, social or cultural reasons, Tattoos have been done. In present Western Culture, the practice was frowned up as a pagan practice by early Christians. But that did not stop some from doing it anyway with a christian "gloss". But tattooing, as well as the name, came in with Seamen coming back from the Indies and Polynisia in the 17th-18th Century. Religious symbols or protective symbols. Decorative or other reasons, the practice soon spread into popularity. Even into the upper classes.

During the 19th century, babies were tattooed in England and America for indentification and small tattoos were popular by the elite even into the early 20th.

Then a change came and it became identified more with the outcasts, criminal elements and the like. It fell from favor until a few years ago. When it became recognized as a serious artform again and into mainstream use.

For myself, as an artist, it is a expression of what I do and who I am. The symbols do have particular meanings for me.

You mentioned not having found a design yet. It is only proper that you do look around and not jump in. I decided to have my first one after I turned 40 and going through menopause. For two years, I did alot of research by reading all I could about tattooing. Then trying to come up with a design I could live with. Easy enough to design something for someone else....artists are their own worst critics. Finally I did. An abstract based on an early 1st Century BCE Celtic/Germanic artstyle done in blackwork on my upper Left arm. The armbands were done a few years later. I always like those particular beasts from the Viking era Skaill Orkney find but it was coming up with an acceptable way of intertwining them into a band. Then finding the artist. They were finally done by Franklin Ward of "Brothers Grimm" from Augusta Georgia.

I do carry two inner forearm tattoos both done in Jellinge/Ringerike style of my own design. One in rememberance of my wolfdogs that passed on (inner Left) on and in memory of that strikingly powerful vision mentioned in GreyWolf's "Dream" thread. This is of Gullinbursti, the golden boar of the Vanir.

Since my husband and I are history reenactors, my tats fit and for me as an artist...the same. But it also goes deeper.

Good luck with finding one that YOU want. Especially being it will be your first.

Old 07-30-2005, 08:19 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FghtinIrshNvrDie
I'm unsure as to why you're getting a tatoo. if it's "I always thought it'd be neat," then don't waste your time. Call me stuck up or whatever, but I see tatoos, and... shake my head. I don't mean to offend anyone, but hey, why would you write on your body? It's there forever. You don't need anything to get you attention. You're already unique. It's not that cool. You also, more than likely, will get tired of it at some point. I'm just saying... why?

Ryan
I agree with Ryan. To each his own, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to have a picture (often a bad one) permanently inked into their skin. It is, however, their skin to do as they please.
Dono

Old 07-31-2005, 12:00 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My tat's are gonna be complex (well at least the one), and I have yet to find the RIGHT one. I want a Wizard on my left upper arm, a medieval dragon on the right upper arm (again, hard to find the right one..), and then a castle between my shoulders. All in all I'm lookin' at about $700~800 in tats when it's all said and done. I also have to make sure that's what I want to live with the rest of my life.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:31 PM
78broncoman
Senior User
I just got my first tattoo the other day. Its the ford oval on my shoulder with flames around it and a big V with an 8 in the middle. I have to get it all colored in. But it looks good now and Iam happy with it.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:42 PM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 78broncoman
I just got my first tattoo the other day. Its the ford oval on my shoulder with flames around it and a big V with an 8 in the middle. I have to get it all colored in. But it looks good now and Iam happy with it.
Sounds like something I'd rather have a poster of in my room. Not something I have to deal with; forever. You know? I'm just saying, it's your body, and you only get one chance with it.

Ryan

Old 07-31-2005, 08:51 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Another thing to consider is that they are highly addictive. It sounds odd but its true, both shoulders and upper back were covered within a year. Not to mention the money thats involved(about 2500 dollars) and I got a deal can you believe. That was over 10 years ago now and I'm still wanting more.