Sponsored by:

Removing rusty bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 03:29 PM
poffutt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Removing rusty bolts

I removed the tire rack on my bronco to paint the rear pannel. One of the bottom bolt heads just snaped right off. I have about an 1/8" sticking out after I removed the rack. I have soaked it with wd40 and have put vise-grips on it, but it wont buge. any sugestions.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:32 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
If you have access to a welder, you can weld a head onto the bolt. Or weld a cheap pair of vice grips onto it. Get creative.

If you can't budge it with vice grips, I don't think an easy-out will work.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:37 PM
poffutt
Elder User
Originally Posted by andym
If you have access to a welder, you can weld a head onto the bolt. Or weld a cheap pair of vice grips onto it. Get creative.

If you can't budge it with vice grips, I don't think an easy-out will work.
I have a small wire feed lincon welder. The problem is, is that it is in the shop getting the rear pannel painted. If I weld some thing to it how will I protect the new paint from splater?

Old 07-26-2005, 06:14 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WD40 is a joke. Use PB blaster or some other and better concoction.

Another possibilty would be a screw extractor, but those are fairly easy to break since they are hardened so much to point of being brittle. I think welding would be the best bet, and you can cover the paint with a layer or two aluminium foil.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:23 PM
BOJOFASO
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grind the bolt flat center punch it and start with a very small drill bit and keep stepping up the size until you are almost to the threads. once to this point take a tap of the size your bolt is and slowly tap the hole out.drill slowly so you dont break the bit off if it catches because you cant drill the bolt.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:57 AM
poffutt
Elder User
Thanks for all the ideals. I get it back Friday.. I am pretty sure I will be able to get it off using the technics you all provided. I am going to try the heat first, if that don't work I am going to use the welder.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:16 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BOJOFASO
grind the bolt flat center punch it and start with a very small drill bit and keep stepping up the size until you are almost to the threads. once to this point take a tap of the size your bolt is and slowly tap the hole out.drill slowly so you dont break the bit off if it catches because you cant drill the bolt.
This is one very messy way to do it, and not exactally the best. I'd have to do if there were no other options, but welding or heat would be better to do first.