1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rear fender hiding license plate * and COPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 03:49 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The reason they cannot tell you is that the individual LEDs are solder mounted onto a custom circuit board array and hard wired, they are not designed to be replaceable so there is no "bulb #" per se. The 6V LED array (there are several individual LEDs used) you found is mounted to an 1157 style bulb base to allow it to be used in a socket originally designed for an incandecent bulb rather than be hard wired. It also has circuits built in that allow it to act as both a taillight and as a brake/turnlight as well as to operate on 6 V pos ground supply.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:07 PM
BlueDolphin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AXracer....

I was referriing to non LED fixturses. Some of the plate bracket lights, and bolt light kits are not using LED. The sellers of the non LED fixtures said the bulbs could be replaced.... but could not tell me with what bulbs. I wanted to see if I could cross reference to a 6v replacement on those.

As for the LED's..... I was thinking of trying to find a bolt kit that used them, and run them at 6v just to see how they looked. Also was thinking of using a different transformer or 6v output PS. But want to reduce the hassle factor.

Thanks for noting the front parking light and rear tail light share the same circuit in my other thread. I kinda thought that must be the case.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:27 AM
calorchard
Senior User
Randy could you post a pix of your moved plate ?? I just got my 54 plates and see the problem.... Thanks in advance.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Chard,
this thread is 5 years old. If you have a question why don't you start another one.

In the mean time, just to let you know in California, I have approached both the the CHP and DMV and had my OEM licence plate position, which is partly obscured behind the back bumper and they have both stated (one in writing) that the configuration is not illegal.

And btw Blue Dot tail lights are not illegal in California either, according to the California Highway Patrol officer inspecting vehicles at the El Cajon DMV - Ask the horse not the horses brother (read the response in the embedded link).

53-56 lights come left and right. The left one has a white lense on the bottom for illumination the plate. If you have 48-52 lights just drill a hole in the bottom of the light above the plate and glue a piece of white lense in it to keep the water out.

Here's a more recent thread which includes photo's:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-location.html

Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM
calorchard
Senior User
"Chard,
this thread is 5 years old. If you have a question why don't you start another one."

From posting the HAMB ( always search ) guess I am gun shy.

So do I get my letter from the local CHP?

And we like old things here

Old 06-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
You don't really need one. I don't think anyone will bother you about it. I've talked to a dozen folks with the same arrangement and the cops don't bother any of us.

The OP in this scenario just glossed over the probable real reason he got stopped for license plates - he was driving in California with Arizona plates and when the cop ran his registration info he probably had a California Drivers license (with his California address) already - that's a big BIG no no here. The CHP has a major campagn going to find people who are using relatives addresses in California and Oregon to get their cars registered to avoid both the high registration fees here and having to pay state sales tax on purchases. When you move to California you have 20 days to make that change.

As some folks elluded to here, there's alway sone jerk out there looking for a ticket to write. But he's gonna stop you and search until he finds something anyway. Your local Law Enforcement may have a different take on it as well. There's not a whole lot of "The Law" left in the law anymore, most cops and judges seem to feel it's up to them to interpret everything now.

So best thing I could suggest is either find some CHP on the side of the road some day texting his girlfriend, or go to a station and ask them to take a look. Discretly, remember and write down his/her name and badge number, so if you do get a ticket from some overzealous "meter maid" you can have them show up in court with you.

The only reason I was able to get it in writing from them was because I got (ok, kind of fabricated) an "order" from a judge for them to do so. When I got a speeding ticket and when I went to court the judge caught the cop lying. I used the plates as an example of the inconsistancies in law enforcement and the judge a little "defensive" with me for my "lay opinion." I complained that no one in a position of authority would accpet the responsibility to provide written documentation of the issue. He told me that if I had that kind of problem to go to the CHP and have them put it in writing. Unfortunately when a judge says something like that, it's part of the court record, and I used that record as a quasi court order to get the letter - very begrudgingly - from the CHP, telling them that the judge had instructed me to obtain it as verification. I carry a copy in the truck, but have never had any problem with getting stopped for license plates. And I have YOM plates which is also a target - like the Arizona Antique plates tho OP had. I have a motto - get everything in writing. But, I wouldn't suggest the approach I used again.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just as FYI, I've got pics of my relocated plate in my gallery. Moved it to the center of the truck, behind/above the bumper, below the gate. It was NOT hard to do, and now my plate doesn't rub my stake pocket anymore.

James

Old 06-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
It is easy to move it. But that will require you to mount a dedicated license plate light with it. That's easy to do to - you just wire it off your running lights in the back as th ewire crosses from left over to right tail light.

P. James? Did you get my e-mail?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BlueDolphin
What would be really cool..... would be as mentioned above, some sort of flip down or removable plate holders. That way you could correct the problem right in front of the officer, and just smile as you get along on your way.
When we get our truck finished we are going to fabricate an assembly that will use a vacuum motor to pull the plate down in the center of the bumper when you start the engine. When you stop the engine it will flip back up. Hope it works and will post it when we try it.You can get some of them that are electrically driven, but we like the vacuum idea.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:56 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
You can already buy a flip up plate holder, check the street rod mags or do a search. Running a vaccum line all the way to the rear would be a "stretch" (pun intended) to have sufficient vaccum by the time it gets there. Find an old distributor vaccum advance servo if you want to experiment on the cheap.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I often see the self-contained license plate light/frames at auto swap meets. They run about $28 or you can buy them in parts shops for $45. Then you can mount it anywhere that the LAW canread it from the rear. I know, some people will want to stand up for their rights and say the truck was originally equipped with the plate behind the bumper, but why give them an excuse to pull you over? Then, once they have technically arrested you, they can scrutinize your tires, ride height, seat belts, window tinting, windshield cracks, etc. If they since that you are very nervous or they smell something questionable, they can search your vehicle looking for contriband. (I hope that you don't carry illegal weapons or drugs in the truck or on your person.) Is it worth the potential hassles to keep your plate behind the bumper? Well, that is a question that we all must answer for ourselves. Jag

Old 07-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
I know, some people will want to stand up for their rights and say the truck was originally equipped with the plate behind the bumper, but why give them an excuse to pull you over? Then, once they have technically arrested you, they can scrutinize your tires, ride height, seat belts, window tinting, windshield cracks, etc. If they since that you are very nervous or they smell something questionable, they can search your vehicle looking for contriband. (I hope that you don't carry illegal weapons or drugs in the truck or on your person.) Is it worth the potential hassles to keep your plate behind the bumper? Well, that is a question that we all must answer for ourselves. Jag
That's an interesting question: is defending your rights and freedoms worth a hassel? Probably not - let other people defend their rights, and yours at the same time. Or maybe you should just cave to intimidation and be forced to do things you don't necessarily want to do because your too much of a weeny to act like an American citizen with a backbone!

Honestly, they can do all that stuff anytime they want to anyway - they don't need any excuse, rhyme or reason. But there's a line that their oath requires them to tow.

We have a thing in America called LAWS and those laws are designed to protect peoples rights as well as provide guidlines for behavior.

If the plate is legally mounted, then it is your right to have it there. Some folks really want that OEM appearance. And if a cop says it isn't legal (especially when another-a State Officer - has said it is, and you can demonstrate that to a judge) then he is obligated to prove it in court.

If a cop is in that kind of a mood or just doesn't like the looks of you, he's gonna pull you over and search for something/anything anyway - whether it's your plate or not. He doesn't have to write you a ticket or anything else to pull you out and search. If he's set on citing you for something, and he can't find something mechanical, he'll write it for speeding or rolling through a Stop sign whether it's true or not. The best thing for you to do in that case is shut up and say "Yes" or "No Sir" when asked a question.

We also have a thing called due process in this country. When that kind of cop writes you that ticket, you have the right to take him before the judge and defend yourself. (And that's wrong because the burden of proof lies with the officer, but unfortunately in the real world you are guilty until you prove your innocense in traffic court) So, if you have a configuration, then know the law - and be prepared to defend that configuration. COPS don't like it when you haul them into court and make them look like they don't know their job, are liars, or abusive in front of a judge. And when you do that you have a court record that your set up is legal (and the cops position was wrong).

I see no reason to have to sacrifice your rights and freedom because of intimidation from the possible occurance of unprofessional abuse of power on the part of some cop in a bad mood. Does it happen - yes, but VERY RARELY - lets be honest. But the place to defend yourself is in the court room not on the side of the side of the road. Why give someone an excuse to give you problems. Most of the cops are more than willing to work WITH you and listen when approached respectfully. And most aren't there to hassle either.

Most of the cops on the roads today aren't even as old as the trucks. They DON'T know everything despite their attitude that may project that they do. Also, they do a lot of "interpreting" of the laws, sometimes right and sometimes wrong. The judges interpretation is the one that matters.

And if you are legal and have your homework with you, you'll be fine.

PS FTE Helpful hints # 423-426:

To avoid unnecessary police scrutiny, do not carry the following items in the bed of the truck under cover, or behind your seat or in the tool tray (especially in California, Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas or when crossing the border): Bailed Alfalfa or Oregano; Sugar or Flour in plastic bags; Hispanic families of five; Hitchhikers in Arab garb; Multiple Gasoline cans; multiple bags of Nitrogen furtilizer; Crates marked "Property of US Government;" "Mines;" "Danger Explosives;" or machine guns larger than 30 calibre (without a permit).

Old 07-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Julie, I agree with everything you said. I'm just pointing out the situation so unsuspecting people will not be caught unaware. There is also the aggravation factor and the fact that the work time/money that a person loses while sitting in court defending himself is not reimbursed if the ticket is dismissed by the judge. Most people would really miss a whole day's pay unless they are retired.

So, I say, if it's a matter of principle, then stand up for yourself. But, if it's not that important to you, then maybe you should move your plate so that the cops won't use it as an excuse to introduce themselves to you. "Good afternoon, my name is officer Johnston of the Sacramento County Sherrifs Department. May I see your Driver's license, registration, and proof of insurance?"

Jag

Old 07-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Julie, I agree with everything you said. I'm just pointing out the situation so unsuspecting people will not be caught unaware. There is also the aggravation factor and the fact that the work time/money that a person loses while sitting in court defending himself is not reimbursed if the ticket is dismissed by the judge. Most people would really miss a whole day's pay unless they are retired.

So, I say, if it's a matter of principle, then stand up for yourself. But, if it's not that important to you, then maybe you should move your plate so that the cops won't use it as an excuse to introduce themselves to you. "Good afternoon, my name is officer Johnston of the Sacramento County Sherrifs Department. May I see your Driver's license, registration, and proof of insurance?"

Jag
Absolutely agree 100%

Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 PM
calorchard
Senior User

Quick Reply: Rear fender hiding license plate * and COPS