Nova Scotia Join Chapter, Leader:

Meeting over lift law or lack of

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 08:50 PM
bossind
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meeting over lift law or lack of

I posted this on another site. I will also add that it looks like Novia Scotia will be having the same problems soon.

Ok so we meet with the Minister of Transportation and the Register last Wednesday, (I wasn't there but this is what I got from people that were, again keep in mind some of this could be a little wrong) ok - though the Minister is willing to work with us the Register is really set against having modified vehicles on the road. The Minister wasn't aware of this problem or the amount of people it is affecting - he has people that handle these things so I can understand this, also as a group we should be pushing the issue. His people the Register in my opinion doesn't know the Motor Vehicle Act as was evident in the meeting and has his own agenda, he keeps referring to a federal manufacturing act that says something in the lines of - once a vehicle is certified for production it can not be altered on the assembling line. Again that's my words but you get the point. We believe that once the Vehicle is sold it is the province's MVA that takes over to address changes a user may make. Of course the Register disagrees and basically says the MVA is only a guideline or a suggestion and the federal act is what's important. We have information that's says the feds have nothing to do with it after its been built and sold, but that fell on death ears.

Basically it comes down to liability, they don't want to be held liable for allowing your modified truck on the road when it runs over a school bus and kills a bunch of children and your insurance company doesn't cover you because your truck was modified so now it falls on the province. *Might be some truth here for almost all insurance companies have a thing about modified vehicles, and any excuse they need to not pay is a good one to them.

So from what we gathered and from the conversation I had with another gentleman tonight is this direction came from the register's office instructing the RCMP to ticket Vehicles that appear modified, also that this is only the beginning and to see a lot more action on this soon. It is also obvious that these people really believe they are doing what is best.

Anyway that's the basic of it, for more info join the 4x4preservation and come to our next meeting.

Again the minister is open to suggestions and will be meeting with us again, so we all need to get our act together and work on this as one united group. There is hope for us, but we need to work together and not live in denial.

Old 07-24-2005, 06:28 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely! Although the province has every right to set limits on what vehicles may be limited to being driven on our roads, they are going about it blindfolded. Have they done research on the companies that are producing the hardware that we are installing on our vehicles? And more importantly have they researched the lift laws of other provinces and states? And further more, will their regulations also affect people who LOWER their vehicles, and add street slicks, or low profile tires, etc?

I do believe that it would be in our best interests to concede to inspections after suspention modifications, if only for the fact that it will show a sense of open-mindedness on our part, but also to keep the micky-mouse mechanics from ruining it for the rest of us. As long as they are being inspected by anyone but Mr. Hoar.

It is unbelievable that they will arbitrarily revoke our registrations when they will give a tag to the rusted old jalopy being held together by duct tape and roofing tar. Which is more unsafe?

I am putting a set of 33's on 10" rims to go along with my 3" lift and getting my truck back on the road. They can stop me and revoke my registration but I will still drive it until they take me to court. That, I think, is the only way to get the process moving along.

Too much to say....
-Matt