6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oil Guard Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Skweeker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Guard Oil Filters

I just received my 10 pack of 6.0L oil filters from Oil Guard. These filters are not the WIX/MOTORCRAFT branded filters. The patent number is not on the filters, the felt lining on the bottom of the filter is not there and the upper and lower plastic end caps are not the same type of plastic as the Wix/Motorcraft branded filters.

What is the story with these filters.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:35 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Call them they are, as far as I know the same, give THEM a chance to explain

Old 07-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Hjudge49
Elder User
They should be Racors. That's what they always send me.

Old 07-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Skweeker
Senior User
Their web site shows two different price points for the filters. The more expensive filter is listed as the Racors. The cheaper ones are not. Gee, guess which filters I bought. The cheaper ones. Looks like a call to Oil Guard is in order.

Old 07-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Hjudge49
Elder User
Send them back and get the Racors. That's an expensive truck!

Old 07-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Skweeker
Senior User
Just called Oil Guard. I talked to Shelly. She said all the techs are currently busy and someone will call back. Hmmm, seeing how my job requires me to be on the phone I told her we will be playing phone tag.

Oh, Shelly could not tell me if there are two different designs of oil filters that they sell so thats why I'll wait to talk to a tech.

No Racor brand name written on these filters

Old 07-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, I too bought a 3-pack of filters and the fuel filter.

I too noticed this difference and feel like I may have received something other than what I thought (shame on me) I was getting.

If they are NOT Racor... I will send back and buy WIX or Motorcraft from another source as the "peace of mind" is worth it for me!!!!

Please let us know and send me a private email when you find out as well.

Thanks.

Jeff

Old 07-21-2005, 06:33 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Did you guys ask for he Racor's

Old 07-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Skweeker
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tim
Ummm.............Ummm..............Ummm

No! I thought nothing of the filter brand, just the low price as listed on one of the pop-up ads on this wonderfull site we call FTE.

Last edited by IB Tim; 10-02-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
I got a hold of Oil-Guard earlier this evening....

Spoke with Roy (one of their techs) and he said that they sell the "will fit" type of oil filter for the 6.0L since it is a lot less than "Racor brand". I figured that they were the private lable ones just like Wix and Fram... I was wrong!!!

According to Roy, the oil filters are made by "Champion Labs" and that they meet the Ford spec for this application and filter. I asked if they are better than Racor, and he would not say, but that they meet the Ford spec. What I wanted to know is the quality of the filter media as good or better being made by Champion... he just said it meets the Ford Spec. I sure hope this means yes????

He said I could check out champion Labs website for more info - www.champlabs.com

Now, I am torn... do I send back and buy Wix and get Racor proven quality.. or stay with the Oilguard "Champion Labs" filters made to fit the 6.0L motor? Sort of wish I would have just bought 1 oil filter (Racor brand) and not worried about having to buy 3 at a time and get private lable stuff!!!

Trouble is, I would have to pay to ship it back (oil filters that is)...

The fuel filters I bought in the same order were Racor brand.

Well, what is the concensus after learning this now guys..... maybe a few extra bucks from another site or from the local Napa store (Wix brand) or from Walmart for the Fram brand would be better????

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 07-21-2005, 11:41 PM
guydiver12
Senior User
Champion labs makes several private brand labeled filters, from what I read on another site. Included are Wal-mart Super Tech, auto zone, and a few other lesser known labels. A lot of pros and cons, but nothing concrete in my opinion. I saw a head to head comparo with several top line filters(not the 6.0), and it was average rated as to quality of element and construction(as was the Fram). I've used super tech for years in my Honda cars, no problems whatsoever. Since when did Fram make the 6.0 filter? Never seen them at Wally World, only the Motorcraft label. I also thought the Oilguard plain label was Racor, just didn't have it packaged that way. I was getting ready to get the three pack since Wally World raised their price on the Motorcraft to 20 bucks.

Last edited by guydiver12; 07-21-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by Tim
Did not think I had to since 100% of all posts on this site said that all private lable filters that have been seen, bought and found were all Racor's in different boxes. Same patent numbers, same everything!!!

It was not Oilguard's fault, but for a few extra bucks, I would have bought either Motorcraft, Wix or Fram... all of which are either Racor or Racor made and packaged differently.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited by IB Tim; 10-02-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Help me out... I remember seeing a photo showing side-by-side comparison of the OEM/Racor filter and those that get private labled (still Racor) under other brand names.

Where does this photo, link, old post or other forum exist???

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 07-22-2005, 07:29 AM
Lnd Svyr
Senior User
Go with filter1.com and the WIX.

They at least carry ALL the filters we need. Oilguard doesn't carry them all last time I checked.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:56 AM
haroldservice
Senior User
has any one physically compared these filters? i also bought the 6 pack of "cheapies", didn't enter into my head that they were not manufactured by racor, just private labeled and sold for less. . has any one had trouble with them? would you use them on your truck? half price is fine, but not at the cost of filtering efficiency for. maybe for my gasser.

Quick Reply: Oil Guard Oil Filters