Engine Management for Forced Induction

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 11:07 AM
200cs
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Management for Forced Induction

I am new to this site and considering supercharging my 2001 4.6/4x4 Expedition.

What are you all using for engine management? I do not want to use an FMU and that is what most kits have. I do have a Predator but have not researched if they offer a "canned tune" for this type of set-up that I can tweek.

By the way I have a 2000 Acura Integra Type-R that I turbo charged this year with a t3/t4 making 9 psi. I do my own tuning with uberdata and an obd1 computer burning chips so I am not new to this. I datalog and make adjustments almost daily with the help of a wideband.

From my research, Ford does not seem to have the aftermarket tuning options that GM or Honda does...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Fredman
Senior User
If you want to do your own tuning, then the SCT Racer Package is exactly what you need.

If you don't want to use an FMU, then you need to upgrade the fuel pump, injectors and MAF. I use a 255 lph fuel pump, 42# injectors and a 90 MM lightning MAF on my truck. I use the SCT X-Calibrator 2 to datalog everything and then send the datalogs to my tuner and he does the tunes and emails them back to me. But I don't have the racer package. If I had the racer package, I could do it all myself, if I felt I could do it right....

The racer package is kinda pricy, but it will do all you want it to do. If you want to get off for a little less money, the mail order tune is the way to go, as long as your tuner will take the data you collect and fix the tune right.

Marlon

Old 07-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
The Pro Racer package will allow you to have complete control over the PCM, but if you don't want to do it yourself then I would suggest getting some professional tuning.

Fredman said it right: You need to upgrade your injectors and pump to be able to ditch the FMU. Also, going with a better MAF, like the Lightning air meter, would be a better choice since it is cal'd for 42's and boost.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:51 PM
deanndeb
Junior User
What is the reason to replace the injectors and fuel pump? I took my Whipple computer and assorted junk of of mine over thre weks ago, and the truck runs better than it ever has, I am waiting on an SCT 4 bank to get here, but right now it aint bad. Good boost, fule pressure around 42-43 on wot, no pinging, no codes. Just wondering.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Blurry94
Larger injectors and/or fuel pump is easier to tune around than an FMU.

Just because you don't hear anything doesn't mean the motor isn't too lean. It can be a slow process, but running lean could actually destroy your motor. I would suggest staying out of the throttle until you get your chip installed.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:45 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sure wish I could get one of those tuners for my PCM (DZU3). You guys aren't aware of any sources for my particular PCM do you?

Old 07-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Blurry94
^I would suggest contacting an SCT dealer to help with your tuning needs. Diablo may also be an option.

Old 07-22-2005, 08:13 AM
200cs
Junior User
Thanks guys, This is kind of what I thought I might hear when I posted the question.
I will look into the Racer Package and go from there. I do want to do my own tuning but will consider someone else's work if the price is too high to do my own. It is too bad no one has hacked the Ford EEC yet as you can buy an HP tuners set for GM for about $500.00 and have complete control over the ECU.

In response to this post:

" What is the reason to replace the injectors and fuel pump? I took my Whipple computer and assorted junk of of mine over thre weks ago, and the truck runs better than it ever has, I am waiting on an SCT 4 bank to get here, but right now it aint bad. Good boost, fule pressure around 42-43 on wot, no pinging, no codes. Just wondering."

I would not drive this vehicle until some type of engine management is put back in. You are probably so lean that there is not enough fuel to have detonation. Which may also explain the running better than it ever has feeling as it will make great power lean until you burn out a valve etc...You are probably also not getting codes because the computer goes to open loop when you step on the gas and it runs off of pre-determined tables that were set-up for a stock motor with no boost. The O2 sensor has little or probably no control over your open loop power enrichment tables. Have you put a wideband O2 sensor on it and monitered air/fuel ratio? I just would not risk a motor because the car "feels" good. I would want some monitering equipment before I decided to drive it. Just my two cents...

Old 07-22-2005, 03:29 PM
deanndeb
Junior User
I guess I should have given more info. I have an A/F gauge installed. It runs off of its own sensor,3 wire. In regards to runs better than ever, I was referring to not stalling at idle, not losing fuel pressure, always throwing codes, as when the Whipple stuff was on. At times, with the Whipple stuff on, I was lucky to get 3 lbs of boost. I just feel its an inferior system, thus I am changing it out.