2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 FX4 Tranny/Rear Clunking

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Gatt-Man
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 FX4 Tranny/Rear Clunking

Hope this is the right forum.

Bought an 05 FX4 SuperCab in May - been in shop twice for a "clunking" sound when accelerating from a dead stop. Dealer says it's "operating as intended" and that no damage was being if I continue to drive. I thought it was a rear problem with the limited slip. Dealer says it's the tranny and that Ford is looking into the problem (apparently quite a few are coming back).

Anyone noticing the same problem? She runs smooth and shifts fine once she gets going. Just starting from a complete stop feels painfully wrong.

Please advise.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:33 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I don't have your clunking that you describe in my '05 FX4 screw, but I occasionally get an unexpected clunk after slowing down to about 20mph to take a turn and then immediately accelerating uphill. It definitely doesn't feel like a normal shift. I'm going to mention it to the dealer over here tomorrow since I'm going in and see what he says...

Old 07-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Forrest_F150
Senior User
there is a TSB on this..... my truck does the same thing...... it's going in tomorrow morning for a clutchpak replacement......

tell your service dept. to run your VIN and they'll see a TSB that mentioned a clunking or rattling when accelerating from a stop into a left or right turn.... mine does it left, right or straight from a stop... it doesn't do it all the time but sometimes it'l do it 4-5 times in a row from a stop.... drives me crazy.... it's a COMMON problem with these trucks and has something to do with the liminted slip differential..

i

Old 07-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Phrekkle
Junior User
My '05 FX4 does the same thing......especially when slowing into and then after a left turn....or just slowing then accelerating. I have taken it to the dealership 3x for this......the first time they lubed the driveshaft (admitting there is a problem) and the last 2 they said it "operates as engineered". BS

I learned from another thread (very long) that the 04's do it too, and its either the clutch pack or entire driveshaft. I was also told that it was caused by the spider gears not engaging or something like that.

I will take it in as soon as I see a TSB for it (I didn't find the one you referred to above).

Keep us posted.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:53 AM
P3FE
New User
I have the same shutter when taking off from a dead stop in my 05 lariat. The dealer addressed the TSB, comes up as a shim kit on the invoice. However it did not fix the problem. When I first bought the truck it would shutter when shifting from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration. That problem fixed itself after a few thousand miles, but something is definitely slipping.

Last edited by IB Tim; 08-13-2005 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:25 AM
FX4F150
New User
Hope this helps.

I bought a used 05 F150 FX4 with 6000 miles on it. I had the same problem with the clunking or loosness in the rear end when I accellerated from a dead stop. I took it to a Ford service center. They looked up vin # and found that previous owner had the same problem, he took it to ford and they replaced the clutch pack in rear end at 3000 miles.
The ford service guys I took it too found that the yolk just before the tranny(attatched to it) and after drive shaft had the wrong grease in it. It was a very thick grease instead of the thinner lubricating grease ford recommends. My f150 drives great now. NO clunking or anything.
I am not sure if this will help anyone but ya never know. I can provide more info when I get home after work because that is where my service ticket is.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:49 AM
rpxr400
Senior User
I just had my '05 XLT in the shop for the slip/clunk on Tues. They said the slip yolk had to be greased. The jury's still out as the whether it's completely gone. I definitely haven't felt it like I had before it went in, but I've only had it back for a couple days.

I told them about the TSB, but they didn't do clutch packs. If it has to go back, I'll be more assertive that they look at the clutches in the rear.

Rick

Old 07-21-2005, 08:08 AM
FX4F150
New User
Okay, this is what my ford service invoice says what they did, "removed and replaced driveshaft, cleaned slip yoke, installed teflon grease, reassembled, roadtest, normal operation.
This cured my problem with clunking or slippage in the rearend mostly during take off. Just to be clear they did not put a new driveshaft in they just had to remove it to do the work and then put it back in.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:39 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I wonder if relubing the same is something we'll need to do as preventative maint later on, after the warranty is out...

My truck's been in the shop overnight :-(. Should be able to pick it up later today.

Dunno about you guys, but when I called in a few days earlier, I must have struck a nerve when I mentioned that I 'heard' there might be a TSB that fixes this. Man, the dude went ballistic! "We're not gonna apply a TSB just because you read about it on the internet!" I replied, "I never said anything about the internet! I have a real problem!"

Old 07-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Gatt-Man
New User
I appreciate the help fellas. Just a tad under 4,000 miles and the problem is getting worse. It feels like the drive shaft is just gonna pop right out of the pumpkin when starting from a dead stop (I thought it ironic from the other responses that when I'm at a stop and begin into a left or right turn the problem is much less severe).

Something is definitely wrong here - this is my 3rd Ford pickup since '98 and have NEVER had a problem until now. I guess I will wait and see - please continue to keep me up to date on your issues if you continue to see problems.

Thanks,

G

Old 07-30-2005, 06:52 AM
judithgap
Senior User
Has anyone got any information on the TSB regarding the transmission problems such as the shuddering. My 04 Lariat 4x4 does the same as others have mentioned.
Thanks,

Old 07-30-2005, 07:41 PM
waynew2
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FX4F150
Okay, this is what my ford service invoice says what they did, "removed and replaced driveshaft, cleaned slip yoke, installed teflon grease, reassembled, roadtest, normal operation.
This cured my problem with clunking or slippage in the rearend mostly during take off. Just to be clear they did not put a new driveshaft in they just had to remove it to do the work and then put it back in.
Is the fix still doing the trick or has the clunking come back?

Old 07-30-2005, 08:01 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 FX4 here, does the exact same thing. From a dead stop turning left, right, or going straight. The clunking only happens if I floor it, or try to drive it as I would a truck with a throttle cable. Whenever I'm gentle with it, it usually drives as smooth as can be, so I figured it has something to do with the delayed response time from the electronic throttle control, and the spiders in the back get a shock load because of the sudden burst of acceleration. Maybe I'll have to look into it...

Edit: It clunks while accelerating hard from low speeds as well, such as 0-40km/h.

Last edited by NickFordMan; 07-30-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:51 PM
tmunson
New User
Transmision struck by the CLUNK

I have a 2004 Lariat Screw that when accelerated from a stop and transmisson is shifting (I think anyway) between 2nd and 3rd(automatic), I get a double clunk. I is always a double clunk one imediatly after the other. The problem is intermitent and frustrating. I took it to the dealership and they said nothing seemed to be wrong. It shifts fine most of the time, but every 10-20 miles it seems to want to do it. Does this sound like what everyone posting here is experiencing? Any assistance/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Old 08-13-2005, 01:01 AM
Forrest_F150
Senior User
it just depends on your dealership....

mine didn't repro the issue until after they ordered the clutch pack that the TSB calls for.... but the TSB addresses a clunk when going from a stop into a left or right turn.... and then there is another TSB for when going straight from a stop it clunks.....

but the clunking is from 1st to 2nd gear, not 2nd to 3rd.....

after they took a 2nd look at my truck and were able to repro the issue they simply greased the slip yoke with a different grease (TSB calls for it when going straight from a stop) and then they replaced the U-Joint... and flashed my PCM to the latest greatest... they didn't think the clutchpack was needed....

it's been 1 full day and so far no clunking....

they told me if this happens again that they will replace the driveshaft.....

in any matter, if your clunking is happening as described above then this is a KNOWN issue and you need to ask your dealership to look into it again and to review the TSB's that apply to your truck......

Quick Reply: 2005 FX4 Tranny/Rear Clunking