Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Truck Enthusiasts Site Navigation > Site Announcements
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Server downtime, July 18-19, 2005

Sorry folks, we had an enormous amount of down time in the past 24 hours. Traffic has been way up and I blamed it on that, but it turns out the load wasn't the problem (good old reliable Linux!).

Yesterday morning a 7 ton A/C unit in the hosting facility took a nose-drive. By noon the server room was hot enough to crash the web server. I did a remote reboot not knowing the A/C was down. By 4pm it crashed again. By 7pm again. Then 4 times from 7 - 10pm. Little did I know the server facility was getting hotter and hotter and causing the FTE web server to die. I arrived at the facility at 10:45pm and found, to my shock, AC repairmen frantically working on the system and FTE's servers frying in a 105 degree room.

I did everything I could with what I had to keep them running cool (box fan, putting 1U of space between each unit, leaving the covers off) but by 4am it was apparent that none of that would do the trick.... by this time the system wouldn't stay up for more than 5 minutes. I called it a night, went home for 2 hours of sleep.

So my day has been spent getting 2 monsterously high speed system cooling fans (average PC fan move 10-20 CFM, these move 94 CFM each). The servers are now up and running again, for several hours without a problem but we're not out of the woods yet. The AC system is a specialized unit and will take several days to get the parts. They were installing a "portable" 7 ton unit the size of my Ranger in the place, temp was down to 90 by the time I left and they expect it to stay around 70 (65 is considered optimal) unit the permanent unit is replaced.

Sorry folks.... if you think you were frustrated with FTE that past 24 hours... put yourself in my shoes!

Well... off to bed and hoping the server moniter doesn't page me with a crashed system again!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:57 PM
New User

Mil1ion is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll blame Hurricane Emily

Let's hope you get some quality sleep real soon !
Old 07-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
I gathered that you were having "issues". Hope its all behind you...
Would one of these do the trick for cooling?
http://www.mining-technology.com/con...th/voith2.html
Old 07-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Posting Guru

rywegh has a good reputation on FTE.rywegh has a good reputation on FTE.
Ryan M Weghorn
Sorry for your loss of sleep, but thanks for your diligence. Also thanks for keeping us in the loop. I wondered what happened last night. Now I know.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:19 PM
FTE Administrator

Carlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputation
I feel for you Ken and definately wouldn't want your job.

My computer was only down for a couple days due to a fried hard drive and between the lost time and reloading everything, it drove me nuts.

Thanks for letting us know - and - get some sleep.

FTE Guidelines
Check out the Florida Chapter
Old 07-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Post Fiend

fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.
I too would not want to be in Ken's shoes in issues like this.

On the other hand I did get to bed earlier then usual while it was down.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Postmaster

MemOrex is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yikes, I never thought heat would actually turn off the systems....they must've been scorchin' hot.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
The system that kept dying had 4 gigabytes of RAM, two CPUs, a very large enterprise level SCSI hard drive controller (with its own CPU and RAM) and 4 15K RPM hard drives and 4 10K RPM hard drives. The hard drives, because they spin faster than your typical hard drive, generate 2-3 times more heat so its like have about 16-20 hard drives in a case. There's a LOT of heat generated... the power supply for this sucker is a 650 watts.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Posting Guru

Howdy has a good reputation on FTE.Howdy has a good reputation on FTE.Howdy has a good reputation on FTE.
It figures this would happen just before the Rally..

Amazing what heat will do to equipment. One of the sites I work on is filled with rack mounted microwave Rx/Tx pairs for TV classes around the state. It had an A/C problem a few years ago and the heat caused the power supply to fry in each unit. Lost about 3 a day. Brand new, state of the art PS at $1500 each.

This stuff happens. I've found cheap insurance by keeping 4 box fans with extention cords in storage. Take covers off and keep the air flowing.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Postmaster

Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I believe that when the problem is finally eliminated, they will find that there were some Chevy parts installed somewhere in the system. Jag
55 Crown Victoria
Old 07-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Post Fiend

fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.
Our main server area at work we have to maintain at 55 degrees. Heat is the biggest killer of IT equipment for sure. They will let an office AC go out and spend a week making sure you do the paperwork right to get a replacement but let one of the AC units in the IT room go out and you better have a new one in that day. There are 3 5-ton units for this room, one will do but the others are standby and they have us cycle through them every week to ensure all will work if and when needed.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Site Administrator

FTE Jason is a splendid one to beholdFTE Jason is a splendid one to beholdFTE Jason is a splendid one to beholdFTE Jason is a splendid one to beholdFTE Jason is a splendid one to beholdFTE Jason is a splendid one to beholdFTE Jason is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Yeah but the good news is that you just saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geico...

Ba-dump-bump
Old 07-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Postmaster

MemOrex is starting off with a positive reputation.
hehehe, lol
Old 07-21-2005, 02:48 AM
Post Fiend

CowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to all
Just out of curiosity, are there any plans or thoughts to install redundant A/C systems?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

Don't know, its not our facility so I don't know what their plans are. I do know that the portable unit is going to stay even after this unit is replaced. There are several units in the place already.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:40 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Truck Enthusiasts Site Navigation > Site Announcements