1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Sloppy steering on an E350

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 08:09 AM
bluestarva
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before the steering box was replaced, my van steered as described by benracin; sudden pull to one side or the other. Coupled with a high center of gravity (mine is a conversion van with an extended roof), the movement to one side or the other was magnified. Since I got the steering box replaced, the swaying has been reduced about 80%. Hopefully, the steering stabilizer will help eliminate it. Plus I will also check out any other possible culprits that may be contributing to this issue.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:48 PM
IceWagon
Senior User
You have recieved a lot of great advice so far.

Now take that truck to at least two front end alignment shops and have it inspected. I replace front end parts only if two different shops tell me to replace the same thing. Half the time, One shop says I need front end parts another shop says its fine.

I have had several Ford Vans, and the problem you describe does sound like the steering gear box. There should be almost no freeplay at all. If necessary you can get a rebuilt steering gear box, or get a used one from a junkyard.

The King Pins would have to be in really really bad shape to do that. Some shops will tell you that you need kingpin replacement when you really don't.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Mdub
New User
Sloppy steering - tie rod bushings

Not sure if you ever got this taken care of, but on my Jeep I replaced all my tie rod ends, and ball joints and holy moly did that tighten up the slop in the steering. Ball joints are a pain so you may start with tie rod ends. Cheap and easy.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:02 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Mine takes wheel work to run straight, it's my passenger inner tierod, I've done all the others, this one is the expensive on, reason it's still there. My bad ball joints didn't cause wandering, caused a severe shake issue, not wandering. I had a bad steering box once, had some odd reactions when turning, I didn't notice it much, I'd always driven junk, dad refused to take it around the block after taking it to a shop for me. My steering wheel was mounted level, a right turn would have it cocked to the right, a left would level it back, another left would **** it to the left, then a right would level it back out, went OK for me, never paid attention, scared the hell out of anyone else who wanted to drive it.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Mach5
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had the upper and lower ball joints and tie rods replaced, and replaced all the bushings. Before it was a bit sloppy but tracked o.k. Now it drives like others have described...sticky wheel on center, wanders, and pulls hard left or right when you correct.

Supposedly the alignment's been done since these parts were replaced. I just got the van back tonight after having the work done by a friend, so I haven't had a chance to confer with him about what was done (and it's dark out now).

On the plus side, I no longer have the heavy vibration under braking.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Harvard
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a link to my experience with loose steering, circa 2011.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER

Old 03-31-2015, 01:39 PM
svlsmokey
New User
I have similar problems as discussed here. Bought 07 e350 with 102k. It wandered a little on test drive and I knew it needed tires, ball joints and front bearings. Put new tires on and the wanderig got much worse. Had the bearings and ball joints done along with alignment. Still wanders and now it has intermittant vibration in the front but not the steering wheel. Put a steering stabilizer on it. Wandering got a little better. Vibration is about the same. Front wheels start turning immediately when I turn the wheel. Entire steering linkage rotates up and down about an inch or so - not sure that much movement is normal. I'm still getting top/bottom movement when pulling wheels by hand with the front end off the ground - more on the right side. Also holding steering wheel tight I get a little movement pulling wheels side to side. Tie rod ends maybe?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:23 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this is a 10 year old thread

Old 04-01-2015, 06:05 PM
svlsmokey
New User
Yes - I see that. Nevertheless, the problem persists. If anyone else has constructive criticism, please share.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:26 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by svlsmokey
I have similar problems as discussed here. Bought 07 e350 with 102k. It wandered a little on test drive and I knew it needed tires, ball joints and front bearings. Put new tires on and the wanderig got much worse. Had the bearings and ball joints done along with alignment. Still wanders and now it has intermittant vibration in the front but not the steering wheel. Put a steering stabilizer on it. Wandering got a little better. Vibration is about the same. Front wheels start turning immediately when I turn the wheel. Entire steering linkage rotates up and down about an inch or so - not sure that much movement is normal. I'm still getting top/bottom movement when pulling wheels by hand with the front end off the ground - more on the right side. Also holding steering wheel tight I get a little movement pulling wheels side to side. Tie rod ends maybe?
no it's not

Old 04-02-2015, 06:23 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by svlsmokey
Yes - I see that. Nevertheless, the problem persists. If anyone else has constructive criticism, please share.
Because the OP didn't re-visit his own thread with the eventual fix or cure it should be recognized this thread should be considered dead or abandoned. Vettex's comments about it being 10 years old isn't criticism as much as simply a shortened version of my own explanation.

However............

Your issues will be better addressed by having whomever did the ball joints and wheel bearings check their work over once again. Wheels off the ground with a noticeable top>bottom "rocking" would strongly suggest something is amiss in the ball joints.

We here can individually suggest you check this or that, perform this test etc etc but someone needs to actually see your front suspension and conduct their own tests. Without that being done we're all guessing which isn't any more helpful than an old thread.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:50 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
on most forums , bring back a thread from the dead ( zombie thread ) is not allowed. they are archived for reference but you can't post in them

Old 04-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by vettex2
on most forums , bring back a thread from the dead ( zombie thread ) is not allowed. they are archived for reference but you can't post in them
Come on Vettex! It's almost Easter! Resurrection Sunday!!

Let all find an interesting thread to resurrect.

The best part about Jesus is; He is real whether or not you choose to believe.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:02 PM
WarrensE350
Tuned
No pot stirring intended, honest...

But we just recently had a thread started here about chiding someone for starting redundant threads about a previous topic. Now, I see scolding for adding to an existing post with a similar problem. I'm confused, not that it's too difficult to do anyway.

The way I see it, (and go ahead and pig-pile on as you see fit), is that if a thread isn't actually closed, it can be posted in. I've never in my years of forum foraging heard any kind of unwritten rule stating that old threads are not to be brought back up. So help a relative newbie to this forum understand what the actual protocol should be. Re-post redundancy, or grave digging?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:57 PM
richter roxs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only dead thread is the one not read

Quick Reply: Sloppy steering on an E350