Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Junior User

wayfastwhitey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question How to trick the MAP sensor

I was reading on this forum and read that the 7.3 gets the full fuel loop at 17 psi of boost, and any more boost and it de-fuels, if this is true and I am running 25 psi on full throttle can I make my own MAP tricker? I know that you can buy one but will a homemade boost controller for a gas motor work? I have one that is simply constructed out of a swivel cut-off ball valve with hose barbs on each side. Could I construct one that would only allow 17 psi through it? would this even be worth it? would I gain HP or Torque or what with full fuel past 17 psi? or would the tricker have to be more complicated than a ball valve?
Just thinking
Brad
Old 07-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Junior User

If it is easier to just buy one premade where do I get one?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Elder User

touchofgrey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfastwhitey
I was reading on this forum and read that the 7.3 gets the full fuel loop at 17 psi of boost, and any more boost and it de-fuels, if this is true and I am running 25 psi on full throttle can I make my own MAP tricker? I know that you can buy one but will a homemade boost controller for a gas motor work? I have one that is simply constructed out of a swivel cut-off ball valve with hose barbs on each side. Could I construct one that would only allow 17 psi through it? would this even be worth it? would I gain HP or Torque or what with full fuel past 17 psi? or would the tricker have to be more complicated than a ball valve?
Just thinking
Brad
Actually the PCM starts to defuel around 24 - 25 psi....not 17. Check with Diesel Inovations, Diesel Performance, or Black Cloud for a fix to go higher.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Postmaster

wlihntr has a good reputation on FTE.wlihntr has a good reputation on FTE.
scroll down a little on this link, this is one of our sponsors:
http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Ford...tuff.htm#Valve
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...oid=65664&.jpg

its good to have an open mind...but not so open that your brains fall out
Old 07-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Junior User

thanks for the help guys!! there are soooo many diesel performance web sites now that I looked through about 21 and didnt find anything near like what I was looking for and got fed up.
Brad
Old 07-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Senior User

Hello is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfastwhitey
Just thinking
Brad
At 17 psi of boost the computer is at 100% of it's fuel map. So it is delivering all the fuel that the stock injectors can produce. You do not need a valve that blows off at a higher number than 20 lbs. Now if you got a tuner, it will still deliver the max at 17psi, but at a higher pressure. Then you will develop even more boost if you can supply more air. Otherwise you get a lot of smoke. If you construct one just set it at 20 psi.
If you make one from a regulator it may be slow to repond to the MAP sensor so you will not get enough fuel at the exact moment you need it since it takes time to catch up. So you can have the boost up to 20 psi, and the MAP sensor only sees 10 psi and rising. You get less fuel then. A BRV may be the best because it is accurate.
2002 Excursion 4x4: Exhaust; Gauges; DP-Tuner F5 Chip; Oilguard BP; HID Bi-Zenon 9007s; AIS; 9005 Foglights; Sirius; BB Turbo ; CCV Mod; AIH Delete; ITP Reg; Bilsteins; Hellwig SB, Optima Yellowtops, Powerslots/Hawk Pads

Last edited by Hello; 07-18-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Junior User

Whats a BRV? I am planning on getting the dual valve on efrom blackcoud, along a bunch of other goodies he has :-) will this dual BOV from BCD create the same slow MAP reaction like stated above?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Senior User

Hello is starting off with a positive reputation.
What you got...the BOV (blow off valve) is a BRV (boost relief valve). Should work great. Let us know how it does. I've also purchased from Black Cloud. Real fast shipping.
Did you also get the AIH plug. I'm going to install mine soon, as well as the CCV mod.
2002 Excursion 4x4: Exhaust; Gauges; DP-Tuner F5 Chip; Oilguard BP; HID Bi-Zenon 9007s; AIS; 9005 Foglights; Sirius; BB Turbo ; CCV Mod; AIH Delete; ITP Reg; Bilsteins; Hellwig SB, Optima Yellowtops, Powerslots/Hawk Pads
Old 07-18-2005, 10:29 PM
Junior User

No I did not get the AIH plug yet I will in about 1 week
Old 07-18-2005, 10:29 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
60, 73, 99, boost, diesel, fool, fuel, map, mapping, powerstroke, sensor, trick, tricker, tricking, tricks