Vortech, Paxton or Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Reuel
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortech, Paxton or Procharger

I know there has been tons of discussions about different manufactureres in the past. I do NOT want to start a disscussion about which unit is best etc. I am looking for feedback from people who have actually installed and used these units. In particular please comment on the following areas.

1) Do you have any nightmare stories about installation issues?
2) Any comments about the new chip or reprogramming the chip?
3) Did you contact customer support and if so how did they rate?
4) Did you use an intercooler?
5) Were all the parts included or were you constanly running to the store?
6) How many hours did you spend installing?
7) Are you happy with the quality and performance so far?

After coutless hours of reading etc., I am really only interested in the 3 brands I named. My goal is to simply give this boat (2001 5.4L screw) more power for every day driving.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:37 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a Vortech:
1) Nope. Was a simple bolt on job. I didn't do it, but I probably could have if I was just installing the kit and nothing else.
2) Runs completely customised engine management system. No chip.
3) No, the kit was purchased through a tuning shop, and thier support has been fantastic.
4) Yes, but that was purchased seperately.
5) As a lot of my engine is setup how I wanted it, I was forever running out of parts to do it my way, but I believe all parts promised came with it.
6) Car was in the shop for 3 days. Don't really know how many of those hours were spent working on my car though.
7) Yes and Yes. No dramas at all so far, and performance has been very impressive - mind you I don't think I could ask of much more power from it.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
1. I installed my Vortech kit myself, and it was a fairly easy install.
2. A chip is obviously the best way to go to to pull timing and add fuel.
3. No, I didn't need to
4. Yes, I installed an intercooler from a 99+ Powerstroke diesel about 9 months after installing the blower and other parts. The Pro Charger kit comes with an intercooler.
5. The kit was complete, but I opted for larger injectors, and better fuel system so I wouldn have to tune around an FMU. However, I did need to buy a set of plugs that are one heat range colder than stock, and then gap them closer to keep from blowing the spark out.
6. Took me about 2 days, and I took my time to make sure everything was right.
7. Yes on both counts, I'm very happy with the performace gains, and it is VERY good street manners.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:51 PM
tetraruby300
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortech bought Paxton Automotive a few years back. Technology is the same, manufacturing is the same. One reads "Votech" the other "Paxton." Both are gear driven. Don't know about procharger.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
The Pro Charger kit is self contained (doesn't need external lubrication) and comes with an intercooler.