1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I'm Back,,1500 Miles later with issues....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 08:42 PM
MRBASS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Back,,1500 Miles later with issues....

Yantis Tx, to Mountain Home Ark, Branson MO and back. Had a blast trout fishing and catching some GIANT small mouth bass too. This new engine assembly seems much stronger than the previous one,i only have about 2700 miles on it so far. I am still getting a ICP code, ICP Uncontrollable, Above\below desired and a waste gate failure code, which is probably because of the wastgate being unplugged. My fuel mileage SUX,, total trip average pulling my boat was 11.1mpg. On the way there I drove it an easy 65-70mph and then a lot of running back and forth to the boat ramp while i was there and when i filled up and checked the mileage it was about 11.2. On the way back i probably averaged 80mph or better, and when i filled up i still got right at 11mpg,calculated by hand.I could hit 25-26lbs of boost easily when i mashed it and while pulling some of those ozark mountains it touched 27lbs a time or 2, and the engine light came on.Now the only mods i have at the moment are the kwik filter,straight exhaust,HPX and the wastegate unplugged.The only explanation i can come up with for my high boost is the ICP, which is also probably the reason for my poor mileage, or am I way off track here? This engine still is much noisier than the previous one,which could also be from the ICP? Can the ICP really cause all these issues? I'm thinking the ICP is letting the pressure get to high, or is it?The dealer has already said they will replace the ICP if it keeps throwing the code, or should i leave it alone? With fuel at $2.409 Mileage is an issue, I used to get 14-15 consistently, pulling the boat or not.Not sure what to do at this point.

Old 07-16-2005, 09:01 PM
touchofgrey
Elder User
Originally Posted by MRBASS
Yantis Tx, to Mountain Home Ark, Branson MO and back. Had a blast trout fishing and catching some GIANT small mouth bass too. This new engine assembly seems much stronger than the previous one,i only have about 2700 miles on it so far. I am still getting a ICP code, ICP Uncontrollable, Above\below desired and a waste gate failure code, which is probably because of the wastgate being unplugged. My fuel mileage SUX,, total trip average pulling my boat was 11.1mpg. On the way there I drove it an easy 65-70mph and then a lot of running back and forth to the boat ramp while i was there and when i filled up and checked the mileage it was about 11.2. On the way back i probably averaged 80mph or better, and when i filled up i still got right at 11mpg,calculated by hand.I could hit 25-26lbs of boost easily when i mashed it and while pulling some of those ozark mountains it touched 27lbs a time or 2, and the engine light came on.Now the only mods i have at the moment are the kwik filter,straight exhaust,HPX and the wastegate unplugged.The only explanation i can come up with for my high boost is the ICP, which is also probably the reason for my poor mileage, or am I way off track here? This engine still is much noisier than the previous one,which could also be from the ICP? Can the ICP really cause all these issues? I'm thinking the ICP is letting the pressure get to high, or is it?The dealer has already said they will replace the ICP if it keeps throwing the code, or should i leave it alone? With fuel at $2.409 Mileage is an issue, I used to get 14-15 consistently, pulling the boat or not.Not sure what to do at this point.

You've got a tight engine.......fuel economy won't be there for quite awhile.

Old 07-16-2005, 09:34 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
tog may have it pegged.. you are nowhere near broken in yet... i would also hazard a guess and say this is why your motor feels and probably is stronger... she's got full compression and lots of shiney new bearings rolling around inside...!

Old 07-16-2005, 10:26 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed, but it should not be throwing a P1211 with no mods.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:55 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
yeah i think you probably need a new icp. with it throwing a high code it's like having a 10k mod on there right???????? it's gotta be with 27lbs of boost stock??

Old 07-17-2005, 03:01 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dunno, but it sounds reasonable. Too much fuel all the time would also explain the crappy milage.

Old 07-17-2005, 03:46 PM
MRBASS
Elder User
I have had a lot of new vehicles over the years, and i dont know for sure if i ever saw an increase in mileage after any so called break in period. Maybe a slight performance gain, but thats it. Seems To me a new engine is probably the most efficient the newer it is, and loses efficiency with age,,But I'm no expert. Think I'll try and schedule my truck for thursday this week at the dealer for a new ICP,Although i'm sure i wont like the loss of power,a little better mileage would be great. Sure miss my tuner though,, ya'll dont know how tempting it is to reprogram my new engine. Everytime i walk in my shop and see it hangin in on the wall i just wanna grab it and plug it in..!!

Old 07-17-2005, 04:49 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A higher ICP would cause a loud engine, same reason that some trucks rattle pretty good when on a higher chip setting. with more ICP, better atomization, and a slight increase in timing. reasulting in a cleaner, more efficient burn, thus creating more boost.

ask the guy if he can scan it while running, or if you have the tuner that tells you all that see what you ar getting. 700 psi at idle is enough, anything over 2700 psi @ any throttle position, it is prolly stuck shut.

Diesel Rod