1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else punished for owning a F350

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 09:15 AM
gitane59
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone else punished for owning a F350

Just curious. This is the first F350 I have owned. I bought it for the peace of mind and pleasure for the towing of my fifthwheel trailer. I am finding that as soon as a toll taker at a bridge or freeway see's the F350 the fee's sudden get doubled in many places. It does no good to try and explain that it's the same as a F250 with different tires and one more spring, it's that damn F350 number on the side of the fender. I know I could take it of, but I don't want to!! Also my insurance company is questioning my usages of the vehicle everytime I speak to them regarding anyone of my policies. Seem's if you have a 350 you must be using it commercially or why would you have it. My DW is getting pissed off with her co-worker's constantly questioning why she drives such a large truck, even though were getting the same fuel mileage with it as we got with our little Dodge ram holf ton. Doers anyone have some good comebacks we can use.

Old 07-16-2005, 09:32 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife's co-workers: have her tell them that it's to pull your 5th wheel, adding that you guys have one because you don't sit around doing nothing on weekends and holidays (emphasis on staying active, being fit, etc). That underlying tone oughta grind the ladies at work pretty good.

you and the toll-booth/insurance people: educate them! Do you have to register your truck as a commercial vehicle? If not, show the toll booth flunky and inform him/her that you don't wish to be mistreated this way from now on (emphasis on talking to their boss; that'll get them off their high horse pronto!).

As far as the insurance people: well, they all suck, anyway, so you can either play their game and get into a paper chase to prove the differences b/t the F-250 and F-350 with them, OR... you can simply imply taking your money elsewhere for insurance. Insurance people are all no goods, so hit them in the wallet and see how they like it for once!

Enjoy yourselves!

Best,
DS

Last edited by captchas; 07-16-2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:21 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
Insurance companies want to be sure you are using the proper equiptment. Would you tow 20k lbs GCWR with a truck only designed to tow 15k lbs GCWR? Well let's just say you did, and you were involved in an accident. In some states you may be found negligent because you exceeded the vehicles' capacity, creating a possibility to cause more damage/injury than normal and could be required to pay out after the judgement. Now for most of us the INSURANCE company will be paying not you, since it is their money you can bet they are going to make sure you are doing the right thing.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Tolltakers, refuse to pay the inflated price. Tell 'em to call the cops or whoever they want. Write a letter to the toll facility.

Have the wife tell the co-workers she uses it to run over small cars when they peeve her off. Or that she pulls down houses as a side job.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Hellrazor1
Senior User
Tell the co-workers that its the haul the large paycheck home at the end of the week if they are the nosey/jealous type.

If they are the religious type, tell them god told you to buy it.

Have some fun with them.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:12 AM
sdpj
Senior User
screw everybody its a free country, and i could give a rats behind about what anybody else thinks, i sure wouldnt worry about comebacks, screw em. im done ranting.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:24 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no, here in colorado just about everyone has at least one truck or full sized SUV, unless you live in boulder then its some sort of hippie/tree hugger mobile

Old 07-16-2005, 11:31 AM
MAXEY
Senior User
park your truck on there car

Old 07-16-2005, 11:41 AM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
i think a DR 10.5" lift and 38" tires would solve all your problems... will give your wife's co-workers, toll both people and insurance type something to gwak about... only downside is with the fifth wheel, wont fit under it..lol.. good luck

ps.. this is what my wife says when people say something when she's driving my truck

"oh, my husband says im to precious to lose, so he lifted this 7k lb truck to keep me safe....to bad for everyone else i run over most stuff cause i cant see over the hood...gas mpg...ohhhhh..some things are worth paying for, for my saftey he says.." lol.. all sarcastically of course!

Old 07-16-2005, 11:51 AM
MAXEY
Senior User
thats the funniest thing ever, i saw a f250 lifted with this little tiny woman driving it, i was like oh my god someones gonna die, good driver though

Old 07-16-2005, 12:17 PM
sdpj
Senior User
my wife is 5'7 120 lbs and she could out drive most guys. its really fun watching her put my 2 yr old son and 2 wk old son in my F250 on 38's, shes had people in parking lots come up and ask her how she does it. i live on air force base, the gate guards always stare ask questions.

Old 07-16-2005, 12:20 PM
MAXEY
Senior User
im in th navy its allways funny getting that short gate gaurd w/ my f250 6" lift and all

Old 07-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Bulldog05
New User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gitane59
Just curious. This is the first F350 I have owned. I bought it for the peace of mind and pleasure for the towing of my fifthwheel trailer. I am finding that as soon as a toll taker at a bridge or freeway see's the F350 the fee's sudden get doubled in many places. It does no good to try and explain that it's the same as a F250 with different tires and one more spring, it's that damn F350 number on the side of the fender. I know I could take it of, but I don't want to!! Also my insurance company is questioning my usages of the vehicle everytime I speak to them regarding anyone of my policies. Seem's if you have a 350 you must be using it commercially or why would you have it. My DW is getting pissed off with her co-worker's constantly questioning why she drives such a large truck, even though were getting the same fuel mileage with it as we got with our little Dodge ram holf ton. Doers anyone have some good comebacks we can use.
Its too bad that insurance companies think we are stupid!! My insurance man has been pretty up front and fair. I basically boils down to value and use. But I'd certainly shop around and oh yeah lets not forget "underwriting" the famous excuse for adding "conditions".
In idaho trucks are licensed according to type of use and the license plate has different letters indicating how its licensed. I would definately stand-up for your self with the toll people, thats just one of the things going wrong in this country. Seems we're constantly being unnecessarily charged and people just paying with no questions.
Gotta love the nosy co-worker that always have the answers and solutions to everything (imagine the free advice if you actually ask for their input!). Most of the time these people don't know ****e from boot grease but insist on running their mouths (i think it makes them seem important). Me I just rev the engine alittle more when their around and let the truck do my talking for me. Its interesting my 99'F-350 V-10 sc, long box 4x4 auto. got better mileage than my 95' F-150 351 sc long box 4x4 by 2 mpg. So what the.... you know the rest. people who shoot their uninformed mouth off........got to lovem!

thanks

Old 07-16-2005, 01:05 PM
soupy264
Senior User
Let's see.The toll is, I'm sure, based on the dual wheels ie. 2 more tires on the pavement. Here in NY, (California east) that's their reason. If the cost is worth the inconvenience remove one tire on each side and point it out to the boothperson. The insurance companies only care about their profit margin. Should you have an accident, all companies involved will spend time figuring out why you did something improper so they can 1) refuse to pay.2) drop you as a customer.3) tack on a 60% surcharge for the next 5 years. For the wife, tell them "on last check this is a free country" at least for a little while yet. and her husband doesn't like her driving a 4 cyl. coffin on wheels . Hehehe Phil

Old 07-16-2005, 01:29 PM
AerostarTrailHiker
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Boy, I must be pretty lucky. I called my Insurance guy before I ordered my F350 to see if there were any special "ups and extras". I indicated that it was a personal vehicle and was being used for going to the office / pulling my trailer. He said no special fees and the understand this it is NOT commercial in this case.

As for the people who don't like the truck - oh well!! You get to go out on the weekends while they stay home watching reruns.

Quick Reply: Anyone else punished for owning a F350