Transgo tugger shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:48 PM
U_B_LO
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transgo tugger shift kit

Transgo Tugger

I've seen this shift kit mentioned in here several times but have never heard whether the Sonnax tricumulator comes with it or not. Is the average shade tree mechanic able to install the Sonnax? How about the Transgo Tugger? Is the average guy able to install this shift kit without removing the transmission? With these mods would it be advantageous to also add the Mag-Hytec transmission pan for increased fluid and cooling with finned bottom? Does this pan alter the position of the dip stick? Also, does it have a fitting on the side for transmission temperature? I suppose the Torque converter lock switch is added by you guys too for the best lock up of the torque converter?

Old 07-15-2005, 04:39 PM
touchofgrey
Elder User
Originally Posted by U_B_LO
Transgo Tugger

I've seen this shift kit mentioned in here several times but have never heard whether the Sonnax tricumulator comes with it or not. Is the average shade tree mechanic able to install the Sonnax? How about the Transgo Tugger? Is the average guy able to install this shift kit without removing the transmission? With these mods would it be advantageous to also add the Mag-Hytec transmission pan for increased fluid and cooling with finned bottom? Does this pan alter the position of the dip stick? Also, does it have a fitting on the side for transmission temperature? I suppose the Torque converter lock switch is added by you guys too for the best lock up of the torque converter?

1. Yes, the Sonnax and tricumulator springs come in the kit.
2. Yes, the Sonnax and springs are easy to install. The Tugger also comes with some spring replacements in other locations also.
3. The Tugger is fairly easy to install. But you will have to pay close attention to where the plastic ***** are located....along with one or two steel ones. You will be required to do some drilling of some holes (depending on which valve body you have.....will determine where, and how many holes), and smoothing some valve bores after the holes are drilled. Not real difficult. The instructions have many large photos......even showing where all of the ***** should be. The trick is this......all of those ***** set on top of the gasket that goes between the valve body and the bottom of the transmission. Remove the bolts in the valve body first, and lower it down. This will leave the accumulator, and solenoid pac still in place. At this point, you can clearly see the off white plastic ***** protruding down through some holes in the gasket where the valve body was removed. What I did next; was I took my digital camera under there, and shot the gasket, and ball locations before I removed it. The gasket is metalized, so it is pretty stiff, and can be handled. Next reach up and unplug the connector on the passenger side of the transmission, and leave it loose. It's nice to have a helper for this next task. While holding the gasket in place.....remove the accumulator and solenoid pac. I then carefully lowered the gasket with the ***** still sitting in their respective recesses on top, and took shots of them from the top side of the gasket. You have to support the gasket from the edges so the ***** don't start rolling on you. Do your mods.....then place the ***** where they should be according to the topside pics, and carefully raise the gasket back into place.....start some bolts into the accumulator valve body, and snug a couple of them up with your fingers. This will support one end of the gasket. Next start some bolts in the solenoid pac, and snug them up. Now go have a beer.....the hard part is over. Take your pics back under there, and compare the install with the pics from the bottom one last time. If all looks good....install the valve body. Torque all the bolts to 100 inch pounds, making sure to to tighten all bolts evenly crosswise across the various bodies. There are a small number of pieces of the kit that can't be installed with the tranny in the truck. On that page, TransGo simply says "If the trans is in the truck skip this page". That's the Tugger. If that sounds like something you would like to try......go get the tools!
4. About the Mag-Hytec pan.......I wouldn't have anything else. It holds five more quarts and has a port for your temp gauge halfway down on one side. It doesn't alter the location of the dipstick. I also purchased the trans cooler from an 03.....it's twice as large as the OEM on my 00. All and all, the transmission now holds 25 quarts......and runs at around 150 - 160 degrees in my 96 degree, 90% humidity Texas weather.
5. I have installed the TC lockup mod.......to work with the EGBP mod, so I've got a "poor mans" Jake Brake to help on downhill braking while loaded.
I know this is lengthy......But I hope it gives you, and others some ideas on the installs, and mods.

Last edited by touchofgrey; 07-15-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Max1775
Elder User
DAMN WELL SAID! Pat yourself on the back for that one touchofgrey.

Max

Old 07-15-2005, 05:06 PM
touchofgrey
Elder User
Originally Posted by Max1775
DAMN WELL SAID! Pat yourself on the back for that one touchofgrey.

Max
HeHe......we try.......

Old 07-15-2005, 06:54 PM
U_B_LO
Junior User
TouchofGrey:
Excellent answer. I called Transgo tech support and was told that their main area of competition in the E4OD is Sonnax and tricumulator springs. I could not tell by talking to Transgo whether their kit did the same thing as Sonnax or whether Sonnax was included. The vehemence of the tech person talking about Sonnax precluded lengthy discussion. He did mention that trans had to be dropped for full kit to be installed (apparently the T/Q is helped more with kit if trans is dropped). I wonder if your lock-up switch for the T/Q does more or less the same thing?
Your familiarity with the materials is obvious and I thank you for your response. I will rush out and get the Sonnaxk, the tricumulator springs, the pan, and the lock-up switch for the T/Q. I'm not sure I will install the Transgo kit at this time ... but I may change my mind. I'm not faint-hearted with tools, just don't want to do something that is at cross purposes. Again, thanks.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:25 PM
touchofgrey
Elder User
Originally Posted by U_B_LO
TouchofGrey:
Excellent answer. I called Transgo tech support and was told that their main area of competition in the E4OD is Sonnax and tricumulator springs. I could not tell by talking to Transgo whether their kit did the same thing as Sonnax or whether Sonnax was included. The vehemence of the tech person talking about Sonnax precluded lengthy discussion. He did mention that trans had to be dropped for full kit to be installed (apparently the T/Q is helped more with kit if trans is dropped). I wonder if your lock-up switch for the T/Q does more or less the same thing?
Your familiarity with the materials is obvious and I thank you for your response. I will rush out and get the Sonnaxk, the tricumulator springs, the pan, and the lock-up switch for the T/Q. I'm not sure I will install the Transgo kit at this time ... but I may change my mind. I'm not faint-hearted with tools, just don't want to do something that is at cross purposes. Again, thanks.

I know about the tech support at TransGo. I called them because they included everything to do the kit except tell you what the torque should be on the bolts. After he found out that I didn't do trannys for a living....he told me to only do the accumulator.......and don't try the rest because the "kit was designed for professionals". Like I'm going to spend that kind of money, and let the majority of the kit sit in the box. Not likely. The Tugger is designed to give you the downshifts you need to slow a load going downhill without that neutral spot that the stock tranny does when you downshift, and the speed isn't low enough yet. Pretty hairy when your going downhill at 50 with a heavy load and you downshift......and the damn thing wonders off into never never land until the speed is right...then it gives it to you.....and by that time your out of control. The kit basically turns your automatic into a standard characteristically. When you downshift.....your there.....with all of that engine braking coming on good and strong until you yank the next lower gear......it's well worth the toils to have something that responsive. I've got a backup tranny waiting in the wings......all rebuilt and everything. I've also got a kit to go into that one also.....this one will be the complete install. It will be much easier on the bench.
The Sonnax and tricumulator springs are part of the kit.....so you may as well get the kit......install the accumulator mods......then you still have the kit waiting on you should the time arise. The kit isn't much more than the Sonnax and springs by themselves. I picked up the two kits for around $109 each on Ebay from oreganperformancetransmission. Just do a search on 4R100 transgo....you'll find them. The kit also fits the E4OD.

Last edited by touchofgrey; 07-15-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:45 AM
tycham
Freshman User
Transgo has an excellent installation video online (transgo.com) and it includes a metion to prevent having problems with the check *****

Old 08-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy ancient threads, Batman!! This thing is 4+ years old!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
If you're going to do just the Sonnax valve and tricumulator springs, here's a tech bulletin from Sonnax about what else they have available for the 4R100's.
http://www.sonnax.com/tech-articles/TB-VOL1-NO6.pdf

An FTE-sponsor source of the kit we need for ours is:
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...-kit-p-85.html

BTW, I did just the Sonnax and springs about four years ago and am still quite pleased with the much better shifts. I have not felt the need for more, though I don't tow heavy and have nothing to compare mine to. I know there are better performers out there, but I haven't needed anything at that level.

Pop

Old 08-07-2009, 11:34 AM
lucaslaw
Senior User
Wow, I'm about to install the cheaper transgo, I will use the same system you suggested, as I remember chasing those ***** down the driveway when I did my first shift kit 25 years ago. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Well, you'll love the TransGo -- I have the Tugger in mine and it's a night & day difference! When it shifts, it's RIGHT NOW. No delay, but no jerky shifts either... If I bought another truck tomorrow, the day after I'd put a Tugger in it.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gotta couple questions about this kit- (1) I just had a factory "HD" (LOL) tranny installed in my truck, was wondering when I DO blow this tranny up in another 50-60k, will this void the warantee? (2) How does this come into play with the current live tune I got from Jody?

Old 08-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
You have to get the tunes to match the mod'ed trans. Unless he tuned for the HD trans as if it had a kit in it. When yours shifts, is it fast and snappy or long, slow, & drawn out? What I mean is that when mine shifts, it's about as fast as snapping your fingers. Is yours like that or a real smooth transition?

Old 08-08-2009, 06:24 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it's not neck snapping fast (like when I first got it- damn near broke my neck first time I drove after install LOL) but I'd say yeah, it's still crisper than stock. I might just hold off until I figure what the hell I can afford to get. I want bigger sticks, turbo, and am gonna install a 17* HPOP, so I'm probably just better off waiting till I get everything on (I can afford) and then catch him next time he comes out for live tuning.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
To dig up an old thread... just to make sure, does the Tugger come with the Sonnax valve? I had heard about this being a problem with these trucks. If not, would I be buying any duplicate parts by buying both?

Quick Reply: Transgo tugger shift kit