Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Iowa Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fellro86

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
another Club FTE membership giveaway

ok this one is going to be trivia, for the time bieng this will only be open to non club FTE premium members but if no one gets by sunday July 17th I will open it up to anyone and will pay the next years for them so they don't have to renew. so if you know it but already have a premium membership save your answer so that we can get some more premium members on here.
this is a 5 part trivia quiz, and to win you have to get all 5 right.
1. what was the highest hp engine (gas only here) ever produced by Ford.

2. what car(s) was it offered in

3. what year(s) was it produced

4. what was it's original purpose (I.E. why did ford produce it)

5. why was it discontinued

bonus points awarded if you can tell me how much it cost to buy this engine.

and just to be a little tacky double bonus points for anyone that can produce a picture of a hooters girl leaning over one of these engines. infact I will make that a second giveaway if someone other than the person who can answer the quiz can come up with that picture.

don't know what the bonus will be yet but will figure something out.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be teh same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilage to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:12 PM
Posting Guru

jseim44 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jseim44 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just have one quick question. Do I have to be a member of the Iowa Chapter to recieve the prize? (I think I know the answers). I didn't find any pics though, sorry!!!!

69 F-250 "Mild" 390/C6 3.54 LS 3rd Generation Family Owner
74 F-250 4x4 390/C6 4.10 LS 3rd Generation Family Owner
05 F-250 FX4 Off Road 6.0/Auto
Old 07-14-2005, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
Well I didn't specify on member of the chapter I guess but lets leave it to members first then if no one answers by sunday then it's just open to anyone.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilage to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:53 AM
Post Fiend

ford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to all
Ok I will give this another shot, without using the copy and paste.lol.the 427 cammer engine was first offered in 1964 . It sold in 1968 at ford parts counters for 2350.00. Nascar outlawed sohc engines. It did power some a/fx ford experimental mustangs. ford phased it out and made the 7 liter for production use .

Last edited by ford390gashog; 07-14-2005 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

well that is a pretty good copy of the text from musclecar.com's description but doesn't list the year it was first put out, the true reason nascar outlawed the engine. and the cammer was available over the counter to anyone as a crate engine. also the engine wasn't still bieng produced in 65, and was on some of te catalogs even as late as 1970

Old 07-14-2005, 03:03 AM
Post Fiend

ford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to all
it was made to compete with the hemi engines.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Elder User

fordloverf2501970 is starting off with a positive reputation.
so gas hog wins ????
if it is in english, Thank a Soldier !
Currently truckless and Laid Off!
but i am happy!
Old 07-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

well technically he got it right so yeah he wins, even though 6 minutes before I asked for Iowa chapter guys but I didn't specify that origanally so he will be the winner in this contest so I will award it to gashog, you will need to email me (click on email me under my user name) there is some things we have to do in order for this to happen.
so to reiterate the answers are as follows

1. what was the highest hp engine (gas only here) ever produced by Ford.
answer 1964

2. what car(s) was it offered in.
answer=none it was only put in some experimental cars but was never an option from the factory. BTW as well as the a/fx mustangs it was also put into a 64 galaxy, and run at daytona, and turned the fastest lap to that date which is what promted the dodge boys to complain and whine enough plus threaten to boycott nascar to the point that nascar banned ohc engines. it had meet the production quota which at that time was only 50.

3. what year(s) was it produced.
answer 1964 the program was scrapped in 1965 although ford had several of these engines still in stock into the 70s. I have yet to find a true and consistant production number on the engines but the 50 listed on some web sites is wrong that was the original production run to meet nascar guidelines.

4. what was it's original purpose (I.E. why did ford produce it)
answer=to compete with the chrysler hemi manly in nascar but also in NHRA

5. why was it discontinued
answer=since nascar banned it before it was ever allowed to compete there was no sense in continuing with it as it was a very expensive engine to build, and all were hand built by ford.

bonus points awarded if you can tell me how much it cost to buy this engine.

well I will come up with another contest in the near future. but the offer still stands to give away a membership to anyone that can produce a picture of a hooters girl leaning over a 427 SOHC cammer.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

i just noticed I messed up on the first answer don't know what i was thinking the highest hp engine was correctly guessed as teh 427 SOHC cammer, and is still the highest rated engine ever produced by any of hte big three.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:04 PM
Posting Guru

jseim44 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jseim44 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry monster, I couldn't find one with a Hooters girl (if I only had photoshop) but I do have a pic of one sitting on a stand. Pretty sweet, Hillborn injection and all.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/uploads/3258/1094116893.jpg

Old 07-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

that is a sweet picture, BTW you don't have to live in Iowa to be a member of our chapter if you want to that way there is no question when I do these little contest if you want to try, and win just sign right on up it's free, and we already have some members from nebraska.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Post Fiend

thanks monster. i left some reputation points for you.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Posting Guru

Yea, sometimes I wonder just how many people on this site are from Nebraska. I don't see very many, at least enough for it to have it's own chapter. When all the tech boards are slow I lurk in the chapters. The NW chapter keeps it interesting, the Kansas and this one are cool also. I guess they're the three I ever really look at. Congrats ford390

Last edited by jseim44; 07-14-2005 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Elder User

fordsrgrt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fordsrgrt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
hey rob , what was the rating on the 427 side oiler with the optional high riser heads ? wasnt that pretty close to the cammer?.wasnt the cammer rated at about 650hp?
Old 07-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

they 427 highriser with dual carbs was right around 500hp, and yes the SOHC was 657 with dual carbs although I have heard both were under rated.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:06 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Iowa Chapter

Tags
1964, cammer, f150, galaxie, give, hooters, iowa, truck