Off-Road Diesel Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 09:40 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by miker67
That depends on where you are located. As you state, it is likely in some locations that is a totally different fuel. However, I have personally witnessed a tank truck driver at a filling station take his hose and fill both the offroad and on-road diesel tanks at the gas station from the same compartment in his truck. He just took a plastic packet of dye and dumped it in the top of the off-road tank before he filled it.
that is what happens here too. my dad is a fleet manager..

Old 07-13-2005, 10:37 PM
blue96psd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know a few guys around here that are running #2 in there trucks i haven't heard of anyone in CT gettin pulled over and gettin dipped i mean who hasn't thought about it the price of number 2 is 1.90 pump diesel is 2.54 or some cracked out thing

Old 07-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Manitoba, you require farm plates on your truck to run dyed fuel. I run purple (dyed) in my 7.3, tractor and purple gas in my Dodge (farm use). I've built myself a biodiesel processer and plan to start making my own this month. No dye, but also not paying road tax. In a farm truck I'm OK, but while on trips, I'll use clear fuel. That's not farm use. That's just my opinion. I haven't looked into paying road tax on the boidiesel yet. Maybe next year.
Here it's the same fuel, just with dye. Not sure of what the fines are here, but a few guys I've talked to said they've more than tripled in the lasr 2 years.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:17 PM
mud rat jr.
Senior User
this is profiling by the cops, and according to the comedian ron white "profileing is wrong"

Old 07-14-2005, 04:41 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Cool

Originally Posted by blue96psd
i know a few guys around here that are running #2 in there trucks i haven't heard of anyone in CT gettin pulled over and gettin dipped i mean who hasn't thought about it the price of number 2 is 1.90 pump diesel is 2.54 or some cracked out thing
here in MA the raod tax is .43C / gallon of diesel or gas.. for nothing.. bumpy roads and salt that eats my truck away!!!

Old 07-14-2005, 08:15 PM
blue96psd
Senior User
hell yea the roads in CT blow and the highways suck jsut as much wheres my money going christ i filled up yesterday it cost me something like 90 bucks

Old 07-14-2005, 09:11 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by blue96psd
hell yea the roads in CT blow and the highways suck jsut as much wheres my money going christ i filled up yesterday it cost me something like 90 bucks
ditto that man89 last week. and we got the increase this morning. cost up 6.7Cents.. i work for a svc station so know when costs goes up!!!!
not my income though.. in 10 yrs gas went up from 96cent to now 2.39... so avg pay from 40K to 110K... i doubt it... WTF... just got my electric bill WTF!!!

going to maine to live off my land.. for free.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:48 PM
watersurgeon
Mountain Pass
I think it would be pretty funny to refuse a tank test on lets say a saturday or sunday afternoon, or late at night. Do you know what they have to go through to get a warrant. First thing there going to do is have to find a judge. Then they have to convince the judge to sign off on the warrant. The judges is going to ask this question, "what is the probable cause that makes you believe that he/she is running untaxed fuel". It better be something like, we saw them fill it up at xyz station and it appeared they were using the agri fuel, or we ran a sulphur sniffing test on the exhaust....., because if they come up with some BS story like the exhaust was reddish in color which leads us to believe...., or we think he is, no judge is going to sign off on the warrant. Regardless of what people think you still have some constitutional rights, for example reasonable search and seizure, and I honestly doubt that any judge that has his weekend or evening interrupted is going to be real friendly towards the notion of signing a warrant so a sample of fuel can be taken from a pick-up truck.

I guess if you refused they could impound your truck till they could get a warrant, but again, what if you were not running red fuel, now that would make for a nice law suit for illegal search and seizure. Something to think about.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I can not believe how many times this has been hashed over.

Yes I want great roads, but I am not going to put out any money for them, let some one else pay for my roads.
I can afford a 40 thousand dollar truck, but I want to stiff the feds and state on 1500 dollars worth of road tax a year.

And only about 30 cents a gallon goes to the feds, the other 28 cents goes to the state.

PS, driving is not a right, it is a privilege that can be revoked.

As far as your personal tank, lots of the big rigs out on the highway are owned by the driver, and they are paying 10 times as much as us little guys are, but there are hundreds of cars and small trucks for every big rig. Let the truckers pay all the road tax so each gallon of milk costs 15 dollars at the store.

And the Department of Tax and Revenue is not really the kind of people you want to **** off, all of the ones I have had the honor of meeting had absolutely no sense of humor about anything.

Here in WV they set up road checks, if you are driving a diesel they are going to dip your tank. It makes no difference if you are driving a Kenworth, Ford, VW or Mercedes and it burns diesel, you will be checked.

Last edited by Dave Sponaugle; 07-14-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:14 PM
watersurgeon
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
I can not believe how many times this has been hashed over.

Yes I want great roads, but I am not going to put out any money for them, let some one else pay for my roads.
I can afford a 40 thousand dollar truck, but I want to stiff the feds and state on 1500 dollars worth of road tax a year..
I agree with your post up too this point. In California, over the last 30 or so years the "Gumby" squad in Sacremento dipped into the fuel tax cookie jar to fund all the special interest free money programs. The outcome, no money for the roads which has led to over crowded antiquated freeways. They just finished expanding the port of Long Beach/L.A. Harbor by four times. When its at full operation it will be the busiest port in the United States. The outcome roughly quadrupling the truck traffic on SoCal Freeways. However nothing was ever factored into the equation to handle the additional load. Oh, and lets not forget the estimated 3 million illegal aliens driving in SoCal.

For example interstate 5 between Orange County and the L.A. 710 interchange 3 lanes both ways for the most of the distance until you get to the city of Commerce were it widens to a whoppin 4 lanes continously. This freeway has had nothing done to it since the mid sixities when they expanded it from 2 lanes to three, that is if you don't count the Krail in the center divider that was put in a years back.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mud rat jr.
this is profiling by the cops, and according to the comedian ron white "profileing is wrong"
Uhmmm mud rat jr. it wouldnt make any sense to check gassers for illegal diesel.
If you dont like the law in your state work to get it changed.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
And the Department of Tax and Revenue is not really the kind of people you want to **** off, all of the ones I have had the honor of meeting had absolutely no sense of humor about anything.

Here in WV they set up road checks, if you are driving a diesel they are going to dip your tank. It makes no difference if you are driving a Kenworth, Ford, VW or Mercedes and it burns diesel, you will be checked.
I agree Dave, it's far better to have them pay attention to somebody else. You can get away with a lot more that way.
I wonder how long it will take them to catch on to the veggie and bio diesel crowd and the fact that no tax has been paid on that fuel. I think in Europe people are getting arrested when caught with veggie in the tank. Just a rumor that I heard.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:08 AM
efoster_01
Senior User
my umderstanding is that you can run bio-diesel for "educational" and research perposes without any issues
i did extensive work with biodiesel and emmisions at the university of illinois and ran about 95% of the product in my truck.
was dipped 3 times at rodeos and auctions, no die no problem. also if you live in a state where die is merley added, make pals with your fuel man and have him "forget" to turn on the die pump.

Bone

Old 07-15-2005, 09:15 AM
LonghornOwner
Junior User
Having read thru this thread I don't really understand why anyone would risk a fine of $500 to $5000 just to save a few cents on fuel. It might make more sense if the "off-road" diesel made a real difference in performance or gave us a marked increase in our fuel economy but it doesn't. It just cost less. Another issue I have here in Oklahoma is the age and quality of the "Off Road" diesel. Since there isn't as much demand for "Off Road" diesel stale fuel, water and other junk could become an issue too. I buy my diesel at stations that move a lot of diesel, keeps the fuel fresh and my related problems few! I can buy a lot of fuel with the money I save by "NOT" being fined for using "Off Road" diesel. The risk is not worth the reward!!! Just my .02.

Paul

Old 07-15-2005, 11:57 AM
mud rat jr.
Senior User
sorry my point was just because you drive a diesel this fact does not give the police authority to check your fuel without some reasonable cause,ie: you have a fuel tank in the bed of your truck and are towing a backhoe.by the way I do not run off road fuel in my truck.

thanks to all on this site you have given me answers to many problems

Quick Reply: Off-Road Diesel Fuel