2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding 120VAC inverter power

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 07:27 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding 120VAC inverter power

I want to install a 350W or 700W 12V->120VAC inverter in my screw so I can run and recharge some small power tools or run a laptop directly.

I could imagine putting a large 1500W unit under the rear seats, but I want to reserve that space for an audio amp [img]forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

There's lots of space behind the center dash, and I was thinking of maybe replacing the cig lighter receptacle with a round 120V plug since I don't smoke and it's just a waste of space, but the darn center console shifter is in the way if I have a fat power cord hanging there.

Anyone try something similar, and if so, where did you find to be the best spot for the inverter and/or outlet(s) considering there would be extension cords running in/out/around/inside of the truck? How about a weatherproofed outlet behind or under the bumper??

I assume mounting the inverter outside of the passenger cabin isn't necessarily ideal since none of those inverters (at least the ones I've seen) are designed to handle the environment.

Any other issues or considerations?

Old 07-10-2005, 09:03 PM
HankMurphy
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Tech Article Covers This

Michael Zimmer posted a tech article on 1/18/05 describing how he did this. It looked like a pretty heavy duty installation and a pretty clean one at that. It's in the electrical section, in four parts, and probably worth reading before you spend any money.

I'd question driving very much from the cigarette lighter or the 12V power point. A lot depends on what you are trying to run from it.

Rather than an inverter, you might consider cordless tools which have a 12V vehicle charger. I have this setup and it's adequate for my light needs (Dewalt 18V). Of course, if you need a Skil 77 or Bosch hammer drill for concrete, that's a different story.

Let us know what you decide,

Hank Murphy
2005 XL Work Truck

Old 07-10-2005, 09:41 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Hank,
Thanks! Yeah, I saw that tech article earlier. Very nice indeed, but I don't need run a big demo hammer (although that would be sweet) ;-) lol The problem with all those little dedicated 12V car adapters is needing to buy and fumble with yet another box of adapters as I do TV/DVD/VCR/etc remotes. arrrgh!

You're right--the cig lighter is wired with a pair of 16AWG wires and fused at 25A. If you asked me, I wouldn't try to pull more than a few continuous amps out of it regardless of what the wiring tables say :-) Plus those little plug-in adapters make me nervous. Some years ago I had one of those lighter adapters heat up because there was so much resistive drop across the middle spring contact though I wasn't pulling much current. I'd need to plan on adding a separate and beefy run from the battery as I would be doing when I eventually add an audio amp.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:19 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking of putting a 450 watt inverter in my truck, mostly because I have a bunch of them laying around.
I'm thinking of putting inside a console, that I'm also thinking of adding. Lots of dead space in there. On putting it under the radio, well, even a 450 puts out a LOT of heat, and there really isn't anywhere to shed that heat behind that panel.
The heat would come out, and right up into the bottom of the Radio. CD players get hot by themselves.

You could easily mount it under the hood, near the battery to minimize wire, or over near the air intake, lots of space between the air filter and master cyl.
Then run a remote switch to power it, and a remote 'extension cord' to wherever you like.
Another place, but it might not fit, is if you don't have the flow through console, there is a black plastic piece below the ashtray-airbag switch, etc. that just pops off. I have an amp in there, might be just enough room for an inverter.
A nice 10 gauge wire with a separate in line fuse can save a lot of electrical trouble. And you would get cleaner power for your toys/tools.
Chris

Last edited by ChrisAdams; 07-10-2005 at 10:21 PM.