Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Computer Chips & Tuners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Computer Chips & Tuners SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2005, 02:44 PM
New User

RoboFights is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford ECU Laptop Programming Software

Yes , I am asking that age old question. Is there a laptop software that can program a factory Ford 5.4L ecu without chips or modifications? I know, its a stupid question, but still hoping something is available. I think aftermarket chip manufacturers are making to much moola, and highly guard programming information that is probably easy to aquire or copy. Lets revolt against the capitolist regeim, and distribute curves and information freely.

Best Regards,

Robofights
Old 07-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Not again... what story is it this time? If you're so against capitalist companies, quit your job and join a commune.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Post Fiend

frederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to all
Yes, there is.

Paul Booth's EEC Editor as distributed by http://www.moates.net is probably the only free choice. Then you need $100 of electronic gizmos to attach your laptop to the EEC, and you can go from there.

The reason why chips sell so well is for several reasons. Many people do not have the time, knowledge or ability to reverse engineer an OEM EFI system. Having done a few myself, it's not a task for the meek. Plus, it's time consuming. If you want to learn EFI and do something very strange, fine, go for it. But for the average guy, buying a $125 chip and plugging it in and "rebooting" the vehicle is quick enough for gratification it's worth the $125. Assuming your combination of power toys doesn't change often.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:02 PM
New User

rpollard is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like a yes to me. But think about this it took me 20 hrs to tune my last truck engine and you have to have a buddy with you for safty. With the tuner they do all the work for you.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Post Fiend

frederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to all
Yes, but most tuners that sell custom chips make educated guesses based on what information you provide them.

Which gets them darn close.

But often, putting in your own time you can do very well.

A friend's mustang had a custom chip done, and his 'stang ran so much better than stock, but with my 40-LED wideband meter (DIY off a website), we quickly discovered they really just played with the rev limiter and the shift points, and really didn't increase fuel at higher RPMs. His stang was still running too lean.

Added fuel in increasing amounts above 2500 RPM, and viola, the car felt even better.

To each their own, I personally would rather DIY, learn something, and make the custom tuning very precise for my specific application.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Get an SCT Racer's package. You get to play with all the settings yourself without having to start from scratch and reinvent the wheel. All the basics are there (and the advanced stuff) with a lot of the parameters explained. My time is worth something to me.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:32 PM
New User

flitemedic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Say Ken,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, and if not you can shove me in the right direction. I recently discovered, out of neccessity that a OBD I computer in a 1991 F350 5.8L(manual tranny) cured my problems in my 1990 E150 5.0L(AOD) and also I had a friend who was given a 1994 F350 w/7.5L that the No.1,4,5,8 injectors did not get the pulse signal so I gave him my disclaimer and told him about the computer swap and we found one at a salvage yard for 10.00(compared to that of 200.00 and a possible months wait if we sent his to be repaired. Yes, the junk yard computer from a '91 F-350 w/a 5.8L worked like a champ. I may be telling you old news, but a lot of the guys I've told about this were surprised that it worked. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Senior User

02FX4Dude is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederic
...but with my 40-LED wideband meter (DIY off a website), we quickly discovered they really just played with the rev limiter and the shift points, and really didn't increase fuel at higher RPMs. ....
Any chance you could point me/us in the right direction to the plans for that wideband meter? It would be much appreciated.

Brian

87 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4, 302, AOD, 300k miles, original owner, 4 inch lift, Mustang DA1(Speed Density), Tweecer RT, Comp Cam, FMS Heads, Headers.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02FX4Dude
Any chance you could point me/us in the right direction to the plans for that wideband meter? It would be much appreciated.

Brian
Sure.

http://www.diy-wb.com/

The project is actually requires two pieces. The wideband which is at the top of the page, in full detail, and the display unit, which is about 2/3 of the way down by clicking "displays". There are several choices for displays, with my preference being the "Bruce Row 40 LED" version.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitemedic
Say Ken,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, and if not you can shove me in the right direction. I recently discovered, out of neccessity that a OBD I computer in a 1991 F350 5.8L(manual tranny) cured my problems in my 1990 E150 5.0L(AOD) and also I had a friend who was given a 1994 F350 w/7.5L that the No.1,4,5,8 injectors did not get the pulse signal so I gave him my disclaimer and told him about the computer swap and we found one at a salvage yard for 10.00(compared to that of 200.00 and a possible months wait if we sent his to be repaired. Yes, the junk yard computer from a '91 F-350 w/a 5.8L worked like a champ. I may be telling you old news, but a lot of the guys I've told about this were surprised that it worked. Any comments would be appreciated.
Have you checked the air/fuel ratio to make sure its on target?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 AM