Modular V10 (6.8l)  

v10 dry nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:40 PM
nlgcub
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v10 dry nitrous

Hey, I know this topic is floating around somewhere but all of them concern smaller engines. I'm in the market for a dry nitro kit for my f250 v10. I was going to do it myself but I am unable to find anything except kits for 4 6 and 8 cylinder engines. Is there a difference, or could I build an identical kit to lets say one for a v8 and use it in my truck. Also, if im just doing a dry system for about a 50-75 HP shot, wouldn't I only need a Nitro jet in the intake duct before the mass airflow or would I need the fuel and nitro mixture? I'm a newbie to nitro so help me out here.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:17 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
If you're a newbie to nitro, maybe you should find a Honda to blow up first?

I've never done it, so I can't help, just had to rib you ...

Old 07-09-2005, 02:33 PM
nlgcub
Freshman User
...my friend, a honda is worth neither my time, nor sweat, nor blood, nor toil. In fact, I think the word japanese car should be removed from the american lexicon...so should daewoo. I dont know where they come from but gat dang. I don't intend to go nuts, just a lil 30 or 50 shot. I wanna give my baby a boost not a swift kick in the pants. Thanks anyway!

Old 07-09-2005, 05:37 PM
captchas
i surely hope you mean dry NOX not nitro, which is used in top fuel cars mixed with methinol. as you ask two different ?'s here

Old 07-09-2005, 06:09 PM
DavidT.
Elder User
Nitrous is only good for 15-seconds at a time and over 3000 RPMs, anymore you risk melting engine parts (Gets pretty hot) any less RPMs you're lugging motor too much. And only works at WOT...so it's not very efficient for wanting added power on a daily driver. That's why it's favored by drag racers...so, unless you plan on drag racing your truck I would look into something else.

A dry kit is just the n2o jet in the intake plumbing, with a small shot ilke 50-75 I'm sure your stock injectors are more than enough to supply the added fuel pressure.

Wet kit is with n2o and fuel jets in the intake plumbing, used on cars with returnless FPR systems and on larger shot systems where fuel injectors can't raise pressure enough to compensate for fuel.

Best kits are direct port n2o. Each cylinder has their own n2o/fuel nozzles. Nitrous is distributed evenly to all cylinders.

You can piece a kit together, however finding the right fuel/nitrous jets to get the right amount of power on your V10 might take some tuning (Possible dyno time).

And "Jap" cars may not be worth your time, but they sure are nice cars.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:31 PM
captchas
i had a 95 150 with a blue printed ford crate 302 gt engine running the kit stacey in the trucks show used for the hot old chebbie .over and under with stainless steel tubeing . 200 hp kick. man o man what a hemi loven bear. my son inlaw has the truck and loves having fun with it. wet is the only way for full bore fun. just make sure you got forged pistons. as the cast don't like it to much for very long.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:37 PM
nlgcub
Freshman User
Okay okay I cannot be a complete D*ck and say they suck, I should clarify and say the 1988 civic with the *fat guy after taco night* muffler and rims, with the person behind the wheel thinking he's mr street racer because of a muffler...are not worth my time. But yes I do agree TUNER imports (ones that have drivers that know about the cars and actually build em instead of throwin on stickers and mufflers etc) are wicked. But I digress...I was definatly talking about a dry system. My engine is not quite stock IE headers and exhaust, throttle body, modified intake (IE the super nick zoodad, gotta love a mod of a mod), fuel rail/lines, and I have access to a dyno everyday so on slow afternoons I get to tweak it. I intend to use no more than a 50 shot. I am interested however on where and how to purchase new pistons etc. It's a bear to push these computer controlled engines much futher than a 200 HP over their stock (w/o supercharger etc), but i know with some time and some knowledge its possible to possibly drag 600 HP outta my 99 which btw...is in immaculate condition for any v10 let alone one pushing 116,000. Yet again though, goes to show ya what a lil elbow grease and lazy sunday afternoons will do for ya.

Anyway if anyone could give me a tip on where to find these parts to take the yetti (aka my truck cuz its big white and rednecks like to take pictures of it) id greatly appreciate it!

Also concerning the NO2, Im planning to build my own system and so far on my list I have
Bottle, solinoid, 6 an braided line, injector, arm switch, activate switch, and a purge valve (i dont know if its beneficial maybe someone could lemme know) Also, should i buy a fuel flow monitor or a fuel air mixture guage (something to ensure the prevention of fetination) Finally, would stronger header bolts be a wise idea or a waste of money for such a low shot?

Sorry about the long post and I appreciate the help...and who says 6800 lbs can't give those ricers a run for their money?

Old 07-09-2005, 07:55 PM
captchas
man
sounds like you really want to go for it.
pistons i don't know about for a v10 yet.maybe search the web for piston companys "ie trw &" and see if they have any forged ones out. the purge valve is to bleed the air out of the system. check out the online speed shops "you know which ones i mean" there is a race book out on useing nox and setting it up.
as to how you feel about the vehicles from the land of the rising sun. i agree and wish they would leave me alone. with my 05 v10, they are a waste of my gas . now a hemi or a gm truck where some one thinks his/her 6.0 can out run me. i'm with you
check down here and see if some one can help you out https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=47

Old 07-09-2005, 08:26 PM
DavidT.
Elder User
See, the whole point here is to ignore those that rice around. Because we are more MATURE than they are...am I right? To pedal around with one on the street just makes you another immature loser, especially with something like our superduties...3+ tons in an accident is not a pretty sight. Trust me, I'm no highway patrol officer but from what I've seen in the Police Academy is not even a joyful thing to think about. Putting yourself and others at risk for your 10 seconds of joy is not smart. On a racetrack though, it's a different story Anyway, back on subject

nlgcub, what brand of parts did you purchase so far? Purge is nice b/c like captcha's stated, it lets you flush out the air in your system to get clean n2o into your motor...it's also nice after you've shut it down you can purge the remaining n2o in your lines out instead of leaving the lines pressurized. Depending on your climate and when you run the n2o, I'd also recommed a bottle heater...warm n2o assures strong pressure even when the bottle is low. You're going to have to get a number of different solenoids, but that depends on the nitrous manufacturer you buy from.

With a properly maintained vehicle (Which looks like you have) a 50-70 shot in a V10 is nothing and shouldn't even harm the life of your motor so long as you use it wisely and have proper fuel/n2o mixture. So I don't think you'll need beefier internals or headstuds or anything, unless you want it for safeguard...but it'd be an overkill for such a small shot.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:45 PM
captchas
from his post he has 116.000 miles on it. it's not a over kill.i would never put nox on a motor with 116.000 miles on it. i also would rebuild and beef first.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:56 PM
DavidT.
Elder User
From all the yap on this V10 board, 116k shouldn't be much for a V10. I've seen 5.0 Mustangs with well over 100k and guys running 100-150 shot for many years w/o rebuilds, granted they don't drive like *** wipes and use it only at the track.

I've seen those little 4-banger "Jap" cars you guys are seem to hate so much with 140-150k plus miles taking 50-75 shots all day long by youngters at the track and they return months later running the same setup, who knows how long they've had it on before.

A 50-70 shot should be a joke for a V10. It's being distributed to 10 different cylinders, each cylinder is making an extra 5-7 HP...woopy doo.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:07 PM
nlgcub
Freshman User
haha lemme let you into my brain for a quick sec...youre talkin to a 17 yr old college bound kid who bought, paid, and maintains his truck. I got rear ended and I almost passed out, and im not faint of heart either so trust me, its for strip use only I SWEAR! And you are absolutly right, if I wanted to go fast I'd go to my ford dealer and trade my truck in for the 06 cobra (sooooo nice, wish i had the moneeeeeeeeyyyy) butttt that aint gonna happen because I love that truck way too much.
As you said, a 50 shot is nothing...could i go up to a 100 shot persay without any mods, or would I be pushing the envelope?
Additionally you mentioned "multiple solenoids"...for a dry set up, would I not only require 2 (one for release into the intake and one for purge...or am I missing something?)

Old 07-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If I was doing this I would get one of the 1" throttle spacers. Drill and tap for two fogger NOS with fuel (wet). I would use the fuel jet for largest displacement V8 and get one or two sizes smaller for later "tuning".

This way the system can be taken back off at resale.

By starting out TOO WET you do not risk a very lean hot burn on the pistons. To tune down the over rich fuel you do a hard hot run no nitrous with coast out to stop. Pull one mid head plug from each side and note the condition and color. Now do a hard NOS run and coast out. look at same two plugs to see if they carboned up and got blacker. Only if they are very carboned up do you want to go down a jet size. If the got whiter you need to open the jet.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:14 PM
nlgcub
Freshman User
The idea of a throttle body plate (I assume you mean something similar to one of those airaid or helix deals) sounds really cheap,trick, and clean, but I read with NOX in the intake, you want the jet to be at least 6 in from the intake to promote atomization..or am i mistaken. Also, when you say drill a hole, do you mean i should tap one hole in the middle of the plate and just run a Y tap in one hole or should i have 2 dedicated NOX and Fuel jets? And about the 116,000 on my engine...I recently was asking a question of one of the service men up at the ford dealer and he remarked...and I quote, "You must not drive this too much do ya, what chya got on it 40 45 thousand?" You shouldve seen his face when I told him 115,500. I pride myself on how much i OVER service it. At 100,000 it was pretty much entirely rebuilt but we found quickly that it was in such good condition that we didnt even bother machining etc because it literally looked all new...I love these engines. Ive worked at my shop now for a lil under a year, and we have the occasional ford roll by but its always a diesel...never a v10, and there are quite a few v10's rolling around. Theyre great motors, for the reliability the provide, ill choke down the gas bill. Sorry for preaching...but fords are indestructable american tanks!

By the way...if i do this, can I drill the holes for the jets from the bottom...im trying to hide EVERYTHING completely...i plan to put the switches in the ash tray so yeah if anyone has any more sneaky ideas lemme know?

Last edited by nlgcub; 07-10-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:38 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well, here's my opinion, for what it's worth. Any system, for 4, 6 or 8 cylinders is going to work, because of the amount of NOx they will supply into your intake. Mounting the nozzle ahead of the MAF will cool the hot wire, which may lean your engine so you'll need to look into that before you place your nozzle. The NOx will actually cool your intake charge not heat it. A 50-75 hp shot won't hurt anything nor risk a melt down. Experiment a bit, you can mount the nozzle in the rubber inlet to your intake. It's not as mysterious as it sounds, you'll be fine. Let us know where you go with all this, good luck, Ken

Quick Reply: v10 dry nitrous