67 ranchero/mustang hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 11:28 AM
rancherito
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 67 ranchero/mustang hybrid

I'm looking for any information about combining a '67 Ranchero and a '67 Mustang. My basic concept is to graft the front clip, door skins and quarter panel scoops from the Mustang onto the Ranchero, and have a "restomod" interior. This may or may not include the windshield and roof panel (if necessary), rear fenders (wheel openings), and will have some sort of Mustang design features on the rear end. Obviously a major undertaking, but I am hoping this has been done before so I can get a few tips before I begin. Has anyone seen this type of mod? Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by rancherito; 05-13-2004 at 11:36 AM. Reason: add post script
Old 05-14-2004, 04:58 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
And what would this be referred to as? Ranstang, Muschero?

John

Old 05-14-2004, 06:00 AM
65rancheroguy
Junior User
I think you may have some problems just because the Fairlane is a mid size car and the Mustang is a pony car. Some "station wagon/Mustangs were done in '65 and '66, if you can find some pics of them it may help you!

Old 05-14-2004, 09:58 AM
ZRX61
Senior User
I think it would be easier to cut the back end off a Mustang & weld on the back half of the ranchero...

Old 05-14-2004, 12:53 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Silly me, I can't recall if a 67 Ranchero is a full-frame vehicle?

If it's full frame, you are talking about grafting Mustang sheet metal to the Front end. If the front track is similar or close, it might work. Maybe you could find one of those one piece fiberglass Mustang front ends and hinge that on to the front of the Ranchero.

You are going to have to do some cosmetic surgery to make the fenders line up with the doors.

Car and Driver had a picture of a BMW 3 series front end on a Nissan PU, so if that can be done, Mustalero can be done.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2004, 04:24 PM
rancherito
New User
Post Sheet metal fun

Yes, it will be necessary to do a lot of sheet metal work to make it look right, especially with the doors and rear quarters. I want the Mustang side scoops and some rear end Mustang elements, like one of the three Mustang taillight bars where the existing Ranchero tail light is, and the other two vertical bars on the tailgate - same spacing as on a Mustang. This idea will only make sense if I can incorporate the concave Mustang taillight panel design across the back end of the Ranchero. I'm doing some sketches, and am currently trying to do it without having to fabricate a new tailgate. Problem is the forward rake of the tailgate vs. the rearward rake of the Mustang rear end. If I can't make it look "factory" I'll abandon the taillight idea, but it's been impossible to find some nice Ranchero taillight bezels. I've tried Arizona scrapyards, Autocrafters and check Hemmings from time to time, but no luck for three years. I saw a '67 Ranchero on E-Bay that had frenched taillights, but whoever did it just flattened out the bezel area which looks a bit unfinished. Maybe with a 1" or 2" deep lip that continues the fender line, sort of replacing the bezel, frenching would look okay. I just really have this image of a factory one-off in mind, so I want as little hot rod bodywork as possible.
My current finish ideas are a modern metallic silver w/ black interior, or a vintage pale yellow Ford color (don't know name) that I've seen on a mid 60's Fairlane convertible, also w/black interior. 15" Torque Thrust II wheels for sure. Anyway, thanks for your input!

Old 05-14-2004, 09:46 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Could the yellow be "Spring Time Yellow"?

Old 05-16-2004, 11:13 AM
rancherito
New User
Originally Posted by jowilker
And what would this be referred to as? Ranstang, Muschero?

John
It's gonna be a one "truck" pony!
I don't want to be too serious about it, but since they called it a Falcon Ranchero and a Fairlane Ranchero, I was just thinking of it as a Mustang Ranchero and plan to leave the original Ranchero script on the rear quarter.

Last edited by rancherito; 05-16-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:04 PM
clarko
Senior User
I got another good name: Ranchstang!

Old 06-08-2004, 11:12 AM
hifiwasabi
Senior User
Can't say I've ever seen anything like what you're planning but it sounds like an intricate undertaking. If you ever get it completed you should put up pictures on the site. I really like the idea, good luck!
Sean

Old 07-13-2004, 02:13 PM
rodbender
Junior User
Thumbs up

Since the 63-65 Falcon share some suspension components with the Mustang wouldn't it be easier to start with the smaller Falcon/Ranchero chassis? FYI the Rancheros were unibody until 72. Just a thought. Very cool idea. I've seen alot of these "morphs" but none like what you're planning. Good Luck

Old 07-15-2004, 07:52 PM
grclark351
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://people.freenet.de/pony/index.htm
click on "mutations" in the column on the left

Old 07-20-2004, 11:38 AM
rancherito
New User
Thanks for the information! The reason I'm starting with the '67 Ranchero is that's what I have. It was given to me by a close friend who had this mod in mind, but ran out of time. I've completed all mechanical restoration and used it as my daily driver (needing bodywork) for three years. So I've invested enough time and money that I want to continue with the original concept.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:58 PM
groundrocket
New User
One of the body shop guys here in town is working on a 67 Ranchero now - he put in Cadillac tail lights with some welding and bondo... looks pretty good, and they are similar in shape/height to the original lights.

Old 10-03-2004, 03:45 PM
rancherito
New User
Cadillac taillights

I like the idea of the Caddy taillights. Do you know what year they are? I haven't looked for Ranchero taillight bezels for a while; too hard to find.

Quick Reply: 67 ranchero/mustang hybrid