Pissed off at wife!!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2005, 10:09 AM
2tone73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Pissed off at wife!!!!!!!

Short story. I had a gas jug with some water in it for a friends radiator when he was broke down. It was stored in the back of the house. It had about 3 to 4 gallons of water in it. My wife had to use my truck while I was at work. As always my f250 2wd 1973 was on empty. So somehow she finds my gas jug (water jug). And guess what? Yep! She said it smelled like gas! Damn that took 2 days to drain the tank and three fuel filters. And it still runs like a chevy!!! It backfires at low to mid rpms repeatedly. Higher rpms its ok. 1st to 2nd almost stalls and sounds like a machine gun. Please help

Old 07-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, but whoever left water in a cantainer marked gas is the bad guy here. Can't blame anyone but them. Water in water jugs, gas in gas jugs and diesel in diesel jugs. Never ever put anything in a contain that the label doesn't match isn't safe and very unwise.

Old 07-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Putt
Posting Guru
Hopefully you have not chewed her out for it. If you have I suggest you apologize and go get some fuel line antifreeze(gas dryer) or Sea Foam Motor Tune-up to dump in the tank(s). I agree with Bear-use the proper container!!

Old 07-04-2005, 10:43 PM
2tone73
Senior User
Thanks for the reply putt and bear. Would all that water have any effect on my carb. ie(jets, power valve, or float needle). I put about a gallon of isopropyl alcohol over a 1 month period. It backfires like crazy at lower to mid rpm. I thought the water was gone, I guess not. Help please

Old 07-04-2005, 10:52 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
You might have water in the carb bowl... where the float sits. Otherwise, I can't think of anything where water would collect and cause problems. Maybe the fuel pump, but I don't see it harboring any water internally...

I actually agree with you - even though it was not in the "proper" container, she should have asked before *****-nilly using something that only you knew about. Perhaps Of course, it begs the question of WHY not go to the gas station? Even if it's 40 miles away ...

art k.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
The trouble with water in a fuel system (something I have a lot of experience with having been a marine mechanic) is that the pot metal in carbs and the steel in tanks corrode very fast and then the only thing that works is a teardown. At least you used isopropyl and not methonal or ethonal (very corossive on their own). The other problem is the water can ruin your spark plugs and cause the problem you are discribing.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:09 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Bear, one month of water isn't going to corrode things too much, is it?

And water would stay in the carb bowl even with alcohol... it's time to remove and invert the carb (to drain)...

Old 07-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Try the plugs first. But the alchohol should have gotten rid of the water by now, even in the carb bowl. To answer your question, yes it can screw up the fuel systen in just a couple of days.

Old 07-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2tone73
Short story. I had a gas jug with some water in it. So somehow she finds my gas jug (water jug). And guess what? Yep! She said it smelled like gas!
OK, I'm laughing a little. My bud's wife did same and had my wife help her push when it didn't start. He gets home, I help him bring the car home. Turns out the relay for the electric pump failed. Of course, no one was laughing at the time.
And it still runs like a chevy!!! It backfires at low to mid rpms repeatedly. Higher rpms its ok. 1st to 2nd almost stalls and sounds like a machine gun. Please help
My oldest brother had a '59 Apache, paid $12 for it in '71. Mom asked him how it was running, he said: "I just need to clean the carbon out. I put 5 gallons of water in the tank, top it with gas and drive 90 on the freeway until the tank is empty." Ahh... The things a 10-year-old will remember.

OK back to topic, Bear is right, it takes little time for water to bugger things up. I've also been told that it will move through the fuel system by capillary action. If it made it to the carb, it has worked it's way through the smaller passages. Break out the Chem-Dip and get it over with.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:21 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> I put about a gallon of isopropyl alcohol over a 1 month period.

If you bought this off a store shelf instead of a chemical supply place, it is most likely 70-90% alcohol and the rest is WATER. If it was rubbing alcohol it has traces amounts of oil too. FWIW.

I would change the spark plugs and check the compression.

Unless it had big stickers or labels saying WATER your wife is not to blame. At my house the red containers are gas, the refilled anti-freeze jugs are only for radiator water, and emergency drinking water inside the house/car are reused fruit juice bottles.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:58 PM
2tone73
Senior User
2tone73 waterlogged!

Thank you all for the replies. Every little bit helps. I experienced some new things with the truck. From one special red light it ran perfect no bogs it hauled ***, for about 2 seconds! Now back to being sluggish. In the morning it runs like crap but when it gets warmed up it feels like its running on 4 cylinders, no power. When I try to hit passing gear it bogs down like its not getting fuel, so I pump the pedal hard and it hits passing gear 1st or 2nd. When it shifts back to 3rd or 2nd its boggy time. Normal driving from stop 1st gear is a little boggy when it shifts to second will not hardly run so I mash the pedal. Higher rpms it seems fine but getting there is another story! "Just send me the bill" For all the help! Thanks

Old 07-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
"Just send me the bill"

Better reckon with the Mrs. first. Then maybe she'll let you spring the $15 for Chem-Dip and the 10-40 dollars for whatever carb kit you need.
You could try "chemical therapy", but there is not much point in suffering the lousy performance and lousy mileage just to get that much fuel additive through your system.

Keep us posted , Mike

Old 07-06-2005, 12:31 AM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm pissed at my wife as well. She gripes about my spending money on toys or when I go to the gentleman's club. And there's just not enough ******** happening.

Us men should stand up, and rebel against wives in general.

p.s. Don't let my wife see this

Old 07-06-2005, 12:56 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by gtex
Us men should stand up, and rebel against wives in general.

p.s. Don't let my wife see this
OOOH-TAAAY!
We won't call it blackmail, your buddies are just helping you with the mess out in the garage.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:48 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Thank you all for the replies. Every little bit helps. I experienced some new things with the truck. From one special red light it ran perfect no bogs it hauled ***, for about 2 seconds! Now back to being sluggish. In the morning it runs like crap but when it gets warmed up it feels like its running on 4 cylinders, no power. When I try to hit passing gear it bogs down like its not getting fuel, so I pump the pedal hard and it hits passing gear 1st or 2nd. When it shifts back to 3rd or 2nd its boggy time. Normal driving from stop 1st gear is a little boggy when it shifts to second will not hardly run so I mash the pedal. Higher rpms it seems fine but getting there is another story! "Just send me the bill" For all the help! Thanks
Sounds like you got water in the "twisty little passages" inside the carb...

Or as Bear said, corrosion is already taking hold and it's time to clean out the carb...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pissed off at wife!!!!!!!