1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Has anyone done a 2 battery set up in their van?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 01:52 PM
cadjak
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone done a 2 battery set up in their van?

I've been fussing a lot with my '94 Club Wagon (E150). I'm driving up to Alaska and have read all of the "be prepared" articles. New tires and shocks (Michelin LTX M&S, KYB Monomax shocks).

My dome lights stay on some times, and I have 100% drained the, 5 year old, Interstate battery twice this month. The battery still checks out okay, but I'm nervous because of it's age.

I was thinking of (1) Just taking off with what I have. (2) Getting a new wet battery (interstate) (3) getting something like an Optima Yellow Top battery or (4) adding an Auxilliary battery.

Where have people put the 2nd battery in their Ford Vans? I want mine outside, not in the passenger compartment. It doesn't look like there is room in the engine compartment. What kind of luck have people had with Optima batteries. People either seem to hate 'em or love 'em.

Thanks,

Old 07-03-2005, 07:08 PM
al_e._gator
Senior User
Factory puts the 2nd battery under the body on the passenger side of newer vans. They mount a box to the frame just behing the front passenger door. I thought about retro fitting my van but it looks like too much work unless I find a wreck to pull parts from. I don't know about what the factory setup for 94 is.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:37 PM
racerman_27410
Junior User
on my 2004 6.0 E 350 both batteries are on the passenger side frame rail right under the 60/40 doors

has a nice covered remote terminal for hooking up jumper cables too

Frank

Old 07-03-2005, 07:54 PM
DadVan
Senior User
cadjak,

I use a two-battery setup in my 2003 E350, one red-top Optima for starting, one yellow-top Optima for "stuff" (two ham radios, laptop PC, GPS, etc, etc...). The yellow is under the van where Ford would've put it, but I fabricated my own mount. I went with a very good (but expensive) option for "linking" the two; a model BIC-95150B "Battery Isolator/Combiner from Hellroaring Technologies, Inc. It's solid-state and greatly (did I say greatly?) simplified the installation and utilization of the different battery types. Google for the company, even if you don't go with their products, the website is filled with good advice for running multiple batteries.

I like the Optimas, in my application (lots of starting for the red, and lots of draw-down on the yellow) they give me longer life and less worry.

DadVan

Old 07-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
DadVan has the right setup, don't go cheapo or you will end up with battery failure at the worst time.

http://www.hellroaring.com/

Your local RV dealer has the equipment to do the proper setup also.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:57 PM
racinrob
Senior User
i carry a portable jumper. they're cheap and they work. mine has a light and and a air pump. helped alot of folks with it.

you might want to add a small switch to your dome light to shut it off. that is if you cant troubleshoot the problem.

i also carry a couple of gallon jugs of water and tape and tools.

i just got back from a 2500 mile trip with no major problems. good luck on your trip and if you add that battery.

the jumper is good idea no matter how many batteries you have.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Kaleo
Senior User
The '94 diesels have both batteries under the hood. The stock one are different sizes, driver side uses standard and pass side uses a tall thin one.
I replaced both of mine with Red Tops. Still a tight fit on pass side though. Never had any problems starting the diesel even during Alaskan winters.

When are you planning on driving to Alaska? Moving here or Vacation?

Old 07-05-2005, 07:30 PM
cadjak
Cross-Country
I will be spending as much time as I can in AK. At least until the snow flies. I should get there by mid August. It has been a dream of mine to get to a place that still has space for a couple thousand more WalMarts. Obviously, that was said tongue in cheek. I want to love it. I hope I find some part of Alaska that I can fit into. Living in Alaska intimidates me. I keep thinking I should have moved there 20 years ago, but now I feel like an old coot. I suppose I'll see. I'm impressed that you drive a van in the snow. That is not one of my favorite environments for "vanning". I'm coming part for business and part for pleasure. What part of the state are you in?
-cadjak

Old 07-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Kaleo
Senior User
I'm in Eagle River, about 15 minutes north of Anchorage. No matter what your lifestyle is, there is a town here that you would fit into. Don't let AK intimidate you, it's a great place to live, especially if you like the outdoors.

My van is a 4x4, so winter driving is a blast. Had a 2wd van before and they get around in the snow better than a 2wd pick-up, more weight back there. Studded tire help too.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:50 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
I have one in a box in the rear corner of my van, tied to the positive side of the stock location battery, separated by a relay that separates them when the key is off, so if accessories drow it down, the stock battery is still able to start the van. This has been working perfectly in my van for the pasy 4 years, I'm happy with it and would do no different except maybe use optima batteries, I have a hole with drain tube in the bottom of the box to vent it. I don't have the cash for the expensive dry cell or gell batteries, conventional ones are fine, don't use deep cycle unless you plan to charge separately using a plug in slow charger, hooking to your vehicles charging system eventually damages the deep cycle battery because it needs slow charging.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:05 PM
DadVan
Senior User
All,

maples01 makes a good point about the possibility that a "vehicles charging system eventually damages the deep cycle battery because it needs slow charging", BUT the system I use limits the current to the "secondary" battery through the use of wire size/length. Hellroaring's great instructions explain the wire selection process to ensure you accomplish exactly what your specific system needs.

Remember, I really don't work for them, I just really like their stuff!

DadVan

Old 07-08-2005, 08:25 PM
cocot
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use two Group 27 Deep Cycle batteries located under the back seat (Crew Van) connected to the trailer charge relay. This isolates them from the starting battery.
I run my Igloo cooler off of these.

Old 07-08-2005, 09:38 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Yep, you can limit the amp charge, I've seen a setup for that at a boat site for charging trolling batteries while the engine is running. Now, most times it requires overnight charging of deep cycle batteries, just how long do you plan to run your engine for charging. I started with deep cycle, shop that put my handicap conversion in use those, I quickly tired of having to drag out the charger because the van wasn't run enough to pick it up. I make short trips around town, but on occasion go out of town to visit family, and if a 3 hour drive can't charge it up, why bother? So, if you're going for occasional use like camping accessories that you intend to use for a long time engine off, go deep cycle and add a small trickle charger to plug up when home. If it's not and just an extra battery intended to charge with the engine and not run fully down, go conventional.
I went 3 years trying to make a deep cycle work as a spare, and not have to plug in at home, but charge from the alternator, I got quickly tired of it. I'm not sure how the Optima deep cycle batteries charge, but the old plate and water ones is not worth the aggravation if you don't intent to plug it up on occasion.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:13 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru
If you are skilled enough I'd say put a under body box with a door on the side for easier access to the under battery. I've replaced too many off them things under there, I don't like doing them.

Here is a photo of the under battery for those who havn't seen this set up.

Old 07-18-2005, 04:08 PM
E350 RV
New User
My 1995 E350 Jayco RV uses the Ford factory dual battery set up with the aux battery under the hood. The problem I have is, that its not deep cycle (it can't keep up with RV use) and the space it's in won't allow a deep cycle to fit. I might get out the air chisel to make room. But underneath would be ok if I used the sealed Optima deep cycle battery. What year did Ford change to under mounting? I could get one off a junker.

Wolfmangh,
Thanks, for the Great pix on this. I'll post mine for viewing as well. btw, I'm guess you fix Fords for a living? A door or a slideout would be a great "better idea" Even though if a sealed battery is used you get away without it.

Last edited by E350 RV; 07-18-2005 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a 2 battery set up in their van?