Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Freakin' Center Console Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Webslinger
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freakin' Center Console Armrest

Any idea where a guy can pick up an armrest for the center console of my '96 Explorer? It's not just the fabric that needs replacing, but the plastic lid under the fabric that has broken apart and crumbled after nine years of use. I've tried the local wrecking yards - found one that looked ok, got it home and removed the fabric only to find the plastic was as broken as the one I was trying to replace - looked on e-bay - but they only advertise reupholstered items, which doesn't help me a bit. A new one from Ford ranges from $116 to $199. Any thoughts?

Old 06-30-2005, 11:40 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Not sure about a 1996 model. But my 93 had a recall that changed the plastic hinge unit to a metal reinforced one. Of course my plastic one broke, and then they came up with a recall. But it was replaced under warranty anyway. Have you checked the Ford dealer to see wha the new, if any, superseeded part is - metal or plastic?

If you are talking only about the arm rest itself, then this is a different issue that i have no other info for.