2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 02:29 AM
les017
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmmm...where are ya finding Reflex for $39.
BEST I have found local is about $80 per for the rears and $130 per for the fronts. Best internet price I have found is $40 per for the rears. And this is misleading...the Reflex seem to not QUITE be in large distribution yet so the internet site that I was dealing with can't yet get them for the 04/05 F150. But they said to get them full extension, full compression, mount config and eye diameter...as well as some other specs, and they would find an equivalent Relfex for the rears only.

I dunno, maybe I m looking in the wrong places

Old 07-02-2005, 12:13 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by les017
hmmmm...where are ya finding Reflex for $39.
BEST I have found local is about $80 per for the rears and $130 per for the fronts. Best internet price I have found is $40 per for the rears. And this is misleading...the Reflex seem to not QUITE be in large distribution yet so the internet site that I was dealing with can't yet get them for the 04/05 F150. But they said to get them full extension, full compression, mount config and eye diameter...as well as some other specs, and they would find an equivalent Relfex for the rears only.

I dunno, maybe I m looking in the wrong places
I think I am also looking in the wrong places, as my prices are not as good as the ones you are finding.

On that equivalent thing, that's almost as bad as getting the equivalent medicine, by eyeballing the pills till you find one the same size, and almost the same color...

If a shock has too little travel or too much, and you hit a bad bump, it can be catastrophic.
Anyone thinking of trying it should read up on suspension body mods.
Not something to play around with.

When I was selling shocks, I saw some really bad damage done by the wrong shock.
Someone will always tell you that their cousins’ uncles, best friend in college did it, but I don’t think anyone with an ounce of brains will do it.

les017, do keep your eye open and please post if you find someone that has a decent price on these. I would like to try them, but not for the prices I am seeing.
Chris

Old 07-02-2005, 12:27 PM
les017
Senior User
will do Chris. And I agree on NOT using an equivalent. I suppose it COULD work out just fine but I am not willing to test that theory.

As far as using the Reflex goes, I am now curious as to HughD's comment about the Reflex being stiffer than he liked and further prefering the Bilstein's.
Chris, I am very much in your camp (at least my reasoning tells me I should be) in that I want a faster shock, NOT a stiffer shock. Actually I have fairly well liked the Bilstein's in the past but have always thought that I would prefer the first inch or two of travel to be more pliant. Not softer or mushier...I guess I would say I am looking for more proactive reaction vs preemptive action. From what I have previously experienced I am really interested in the Reflex and/or Edelbrock IAS's.

oh man, I think that made sense

Old 07-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Hugh D
New User
Believe Monroe has several versions of "reflex" shocks. Can't remember what I paid but was much more than $39.00. No experience with different shocks on the Ford but it feels like it could use just a bit more control for normal (not hauling weight) driving. I am considering a rear sway bar. Anyone tried one?

Hugh

Old 07-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Hugh D
New User
les017, just saw your note. Absolutely makes sense to me re first couple inches being more compliant. If Bilstein could do that, they would be near perfect for me. You have figured this out exactly as I . I hoped the Monroe Reflex would do what we suggest but I could only feel a weakattempt. Maybe Edelbrocks would do it. I have no suspension mods on the Ford Lariat, 4x4, Scab, 373 LS. You can see my previous note on it's handling. Former real truck (not toy truck) was Chevy. Handling was bouncy over dips, especially front. Monroe Reflex cured that problem nicely but were just a bit harsh. At the rear they were VERY harsh and jouncy until loaded with minimum of 500 pounds or so. Handled good then but still a bit harsh. Hope this explaination is better.

Hugh

Old 07-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
WheelMA1, Were your stock shocks Rancho's that you replaced in your FX4? I am just curious if Rancho's still come standard in the FX4's. Thanks!

Old 07-02-2005, 06:44 PM
les017
Senior User
thanks for the clarification HughD. That's pretty much what I thought you were saying. But then again, who knows? One persons "harsh" is another persons "conrolled".

Old 07-02-2005, 06:56 PM
judithgap
Senior User
I had my 04 Lariat 4x4 leveled with the Daystar and installed 305/70/17 Wranglers and for the first time I found out how week the rear shocks are on the truck. I guess leveling it shifted the center of gravity or something. I know prior to the front end leveling I could hardly push the rear bumber down. From what Ive read here I am going to install the Bilsteins.

Old 07-02-2005, 07:40 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
They were unmarked, so I do not believe the FX4 comes with Ranchos anymore. I know my fathers 04 F250 with the FX4 package does have Rancho-branded though.

Old 07-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
WheelMA1, I was just curious if Rancho was still put on all FX4's. I guess not. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:55 AM
curtw48
Senior User
Hey Guys,

Anyone have a suggestion on replacing the rear shocks on my '04 Supercrew Lariat in order to help squat and sway when pulling my 31' RV? I am using a load equalizing hitch and anti swat bar, but would like to know if any after-market shocks would help. How about air adjustable shocks?

Old 07-04-2005, 02:47 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by curtw48
Hey Guys,

Anyone have a suggestion on replacing the rear shocks on my '04 Supercrew Lariat in order to help squat and sway when pulling my 31' RV? I am using a load equalizing hitch and anti swat bar, but would like to know if any after-market shocks would help. How about air adjustable shocks?
Perhaps you should look into airbags, or RAS ? I don't think shocks are the answer.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203137

For some veiw on RAS
Chris

Old 07-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
An extra leaf or two might help. We always put helper springs on my dad's vehicles to help pull the big boat. The nice thing about them is you can remove them when not needed. Personally, I am not sure how effective they are, but my dad always said they helped with sway and load weight. He was always the driver, so he should know. Good Luck!

Old 07-07-2005, 05:40 PM
les017
Senior User
well I THINK I have found a semi-decent price on Monroe Reflex for these '04's. It's a local B&M shop here in SoCal (I have no idea where else they are located outside of the San Gabriel Valley area)

Any way...$79 each fronts, $65 each rears + labor I was quoted at $385 out the door. Now if it just weren't for that dang buttinski HughD giving me doubts about harshness, I could run over and get me some . Still fairly high priced, but not WAY out of line like I was seeing before.

Chris Adams, I did ALL the legwork here. Go get some installed and let me know what you think. You are allowed to participate, ya know

Actually I am gonna go see this guy tomorrow and see if I can verify his part numbers, cuz these prices sound suspiciously like proces I was previously mis-quoted for the Heritage 150

Old 07-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Smile

les017, You had a brain storm. I think you are being very thoughtful to allow Chris Adams to participate and try them out first. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: New Rear Shocks