General Automotive Discussion

The Truth About Filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 10:39 PM
FleetFilterBrian
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Truth About Filters

Since we started selling filters online, and I’ve tuned myself more into the filters market than ever before, I’ve been amazed at what I’ve read on the internet and in forums. Many of them have been about how Purolator makes MotorCraft, how Wix makes MotorCraft, how FleetGuard makes Wix, and even how nobody makes anything – that all filters are bought from one of three German companies. The last one is just plain insane – Wix, Purolator, FleetGuard, Baldwin, Fram, etc all have manufacturing facilities. Clearly they all make their own filters.

So I called Racor, Purolator, and Wix yesterday and talked to some techs about the filter business; here’s the truth confirmed by each company separately.

All filters are a hodge-podge: Wix, Purolator, Baldwin, Donaldson, FleetGuard, and Racor make their own filters, but they also buy filters from each other and box them under their own names.

Note 1: MotorCraft will buy from Purolator and box them as MC, but MC will also buy from Baldwin, Donaldson, etc. and do the same. Purolator admitted that occasionally they will close a plant and allow MotorCraft to come to their facilities and use Purolator’s equipment to make MC filters using MC employees. But MC will also buy filters from Donaldson, Baldwin, Wix, and FleetGuard and repackage them as MC. ACDelco and Mopar do the same as MotorCraft (well, AC doesn’t make anything anymore – they’re simply a re-boxer). With either MC, AC, or Mopar, there is no consistency to what filter you’re getting.

Note 2: Wix will buy filters from Baldwin, Donaldson, FleetGuard, etc. and label them Wix and put them in Wix boxes. Donaldson does the same. Baldwin does the same. FleetGuard does the same. Purolator does the same. They all mix and match from each other – they do this because each company wants a complete line of filters, and sometimes it’s more cost effective to buy from your competition than it is to make your own (such as if a re-tooling is necessary for a particular filter, or if there’s a patent on a particular filter-design). The only companies that do this type of trading are the ones that meet or exceed Original Equipment (OE) specs. They will not do this with companies that are not OE spec – Wix and Purolator said they would not and do not buy from Fram or others that are deemed non-OE.

Note 3: It is extremely possible that you could buy two filters with the same part number from the same manufacturer, and those filters may not be identical because they were made by two different companies. True for Baldwin, true for Wix, true for FleetGuard, true for Donaldson, true for Purolator. In today’s filter industry, all the filters are being shared and relabeled as their own so that company can offer a more complete line to their customers.

True, you could love Baldwin because you like the way their paper media is molded, or you could like Donaldson because their ratings for micron filtration are higher than another – but you might still end up with a Baldwin filter in a Donaldson box. In other words, you can love a certain brand, but you may not be getting that brand in the box you buy. It happens all the time in the industry, but it’s all at least OE-spec – they’re all quality filters.

PS – Feel free to call Purolator, Wix, MotorCraft, Baldwin, or any other and ask them what I asked them. They all have Tech Support numbers listed on their websites – that’s how I got their numbers. I found the techs were a joy to talk to and very honest about their industry.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great read. As long as the filter meets OEM specs that's all that matters. I usually buy mine from Ford anyways.

-Matt

Old 06-29-2005, 09:50 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Very nice post...great info for members

Old 06-29-2005, 10:04 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting info. I think it is fairly common in many businesses, I used to see tankers from other companies at a Plillips refinery getting gas.
Dono

Old 06-29-2005, 10:13 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Im confused, so i'll just keep using what i've used since i started
to drive back in 1977'. Fram, oil,air,fuel, all of them and never had anything go wrong.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:19 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Im confused How so?

Old 06-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by i1dery
Fram, oil,air,fuel, all of them and never had anything go wrong.
I think I hear a can opener (on his can of worms!)

-Matt

Old 06-29-2005, 10:41 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Beast12
I think I hear a can opener (on his can of worms!)

-Matt
I will not continue this argument, but my brother-in-law who sells marine wholesale parts sells oil filters. He's sold them all and had warranty claims on all of them over the last 20 years. EXCEPT FRAM.

Be that as it may...

art k.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:47 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Confused by all the filters and how there here and there and all
the same confused was basically a figure of speach. And i'll still
stick to my fram products never have had a problem and i suspect
i never will it's a good product, despite what some poeple may say
about FRAM. almost 30 years

Old 06-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
I don't want to get into an argument either. IMHO you can buy a better filter for the same price (maybe cheaper) than a FRAM. Do a search in the Oil and Lubrication forum for FRAM and see what you get.

-Matt

Old 06-29-2005, 12:13 PM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
There is a company here in Salt Lake that makes filters with recognizable names. Same filter on the inside, color and name change on the outside. Names like Fram, STP, those type.

What I do know, as many of you here is I will always buy quality oil and filters. My personal prefs. are Mobile, Rotella, NAPA Gold, WIX. Brand wars are seldom productive. I do what works for me.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:56 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You mean my truck has an oil filter?

Where is it?

Actually, I use Fram because that's what Kragen sells.

Never had a problem----ever.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:07 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
You mean my truck has an oil filter?
Now there is a can of worms

Old 06-29-2005, 08:19 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So who makes Fram filters?