Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Senior User

bocomojoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Horizontal Fuel Conditioner Module

Can anyone explain to me why this thing (HFCM) is located where it is? Is there a possibility that there will be a kit developed to relocate the HFCM to a more user friendly location? And if you have a 4 X 4, its even a bigger pain in the posterior to change the filter or drain the water.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Posting Guru

jackofalltrades is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Propper tool for the job helps. I went to Sears to augment my tool supply. I purchased the set of SAE and Metric Allen wrenches with the ball end. On my 4x4 F250, it's a cinch to drain the water/fuel and change the filter. I have the 2" front leveling kit which drops the front drive line just a bit to be a little out of the way. Else, just put a floor jack under the frame and lift a couple inches to make room for a 2 litre Pepsi bottle with the top cut off to catch all the liquid.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an HFCM relocation kit. Some have changed out the plug for a petcock drain. That'll probably be my next project on the truck.

Remember to take the fuel tank down to less than 1/4 full when servicing the HFCM. You'll have much less fuel to capture when pulling things apart.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Senior User

4x4Mark is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same here. Sears 6mm ball-end wrench. The short side fits between the driveshaft and the plug to loosen it; then the long end to reach over the drive-shaft and remove it. Its a piece of cake with the right allen wrench
Old 06-29-2005, 10:45 PM
Senior User

bocomojoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the replies. The 2006 manual shows that the HFCM is supposed to have a lever simular to the old 7.3, buuuut it seems that the early 2006 (mine) still has the plug that requires the hex wrench. Guess they are getting rid of the old parts. Do you think I'll have any luck getting the new part?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Elder User

3/4ER is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't forget the 36MM socket to remove the filter, that came as a surprise to me. I purchased a socket (12 pt., not thrilled, but it works fine) for it at Sears ($6.99).

I was also pleasantly surprised to find out that I have a steel drain plug, just a nudge, and it was loose.

The reason I never purchased the socket is because I have a Cresent wrench, and a strap wrench for my oil filter needs. Impossible to use either one down there on the frame rail.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Elder User

3/4ER is starting off with a positive reputation.
Updated my tools, bought a new 36mm socket made specifically for the 6.0 oil cap/fuel filter cap. Socket is made by MATCO tools, and is 3/8 drive, and aluminum. The part# is FOF145, price $8.95

www.matcotools.com
Old 07-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Posting Guru

Crash687 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomojoe
Can anyone explain to me why this thing (HFCM) is located where it is? Is there a possibility that there will be a kit developed to relocate the HFCM to a more user friendly location? And if you have a 4 X 4, its even a bigger pain in the posterior to change the filter or drain the water.
I think I remember reading in one of the body builder books that the HFCM and it's counter part filter are engineered to work in those locations and should not be move when altering the vehicle.
'05 F-350 PSD work truck
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:52 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel