4" lift, 2" body lift???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:53 PM
greybullit
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" lift, 2" body lift???

Hey everyone-
I'm looking at getting a 4inch lift for my 90 Bronco then adding a 2inch body lift. I have heard that with a body lift the bumpers stay the same height and it looks kinda weird, anyway to fix that or do you think with just the 2inch body lift it wont make much of a difference? Thanks for any help!

Old 06-25-2005, 01:09 AM
79 Trailer Special
Elder User

With a body lift there will be a gap between the bumpers and body. The bumper mounts can be reworked to raise them if you have access to a welder of if being done by a decent shop they can do it. You can also have a piece of alum diamond plate cut to fill the gap which prob would be cheaper if your having it done. Another point of concern is the fan shroud. It will move with the body but your fan thats attached to the motor will not. The easy way out is cutting the shroud.

Old 06-26-2005, 01:13 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You could fab up some monting brakets to bring the bumpers up with the body, but you should just go with a 6" suspension lift instead of a 4 with 2" body lift. Body lifts are cheap, but you have to lengthen everything to make it work.

-Matt-

Old 06-26-2005, 03:08 AM
greybullit
Senior User
Like what else would I have to lengthen to make it all work?

Old 06-28-2005, 02:23 PM
oldbluebronco
Senior User
Red face

I have an 89 and the only thing i had to lenghted was the Neg. Battery cable. I would have went with a suspension lift but the price on my 35's was great and my price for a 3" body made it easier than a 6" suspension. Just my two Cents.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:58 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
I've heard people have to lengthen stering linkage, brake lines(of course) and the list went, on. BUT I have no personal experience doing a body lift, so if oldblueford, says he just lengthend the (-) battary cable, then that might be it for, broncos, just trying to keep you out of alot of hidden cost I have heard of on other vehicals.

-Matt

Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
just go 6" the lifts cost the same . with a body lift you have to lengthen your shift linkage by cutting a adding . can you weld? then of course everything else mentioned above. im hesitant by oldblue's comments about only doing the neg cable. either his had a body lift prior or something. because everyone that i know has always need to do a bunch of stuff.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:30 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
I agree go with a 6" lift and it will be the same cost or a $20 dollar differance. A body lift cost about $100 and then that's something else to install. A 4"or 6" lift will be the same install time. So the body lift isn't saving you money.

Just my 2 cents,
-Matt

Old 06-30-2005, 12:05 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The difference between the 4" and 6" suspension lift is small enough to not even think about body lift and the associated extra hassles.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:23 PM
oldbluebronco
Senior User
Smile

I did have to weld the shift linkage, but the price of $100 for the kit and my labor was way cheaper than a $1000.00 6" suspension. But other than that I have had no problems except for the bumper gaps. I know that some brackets can raise the bumper but they leave it unfunctional as a bumper. I feel your best bet would be a suspension lift if you have the money. I think a 6" is the way you should go.
Mark

Old 06-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
you can get a 6" lift for under $700 bucks.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:50 PM
ol'Madeline
Junior User
Spot weld the bumber

My '86 has a 6" suspension lift and a 3" body lift running 38"BFGs. When mine was lifted, the bumper bracket was un bolted from the frame, adjusted to the right height and welded back to the frame. The bolt holes of course didn't line up, but who cares? If I ever change bumbers, I'll just unbolt the bumper from the brackets and hang the new one from the newly positioned/welded brackets. Looks and feels totally stock!

I did have to remove the fan shroud also, but with some home-made brackets for it, it will soon be back on too.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Tazz452
Junior User
Might be a little late with the info but... I did my 3" body lift in my garage by myself. I unbolted the shift linkage and bolted in a piece of 1/4" steel. saved from having to weld it. The brake lines, fuel filler, battery cables, and wiring all had enough slack to allow the 3" stretch. I too lifted and remount the bumpers. (a bit of a pain) As far as the fan shroud I notched the bottom of it and put it back on. I did this about 2.5 yrs ago and have no overheating problems or anything else. BTW mine is a 1988 Bronco 302. I might be a lucky one but with limited cash it was the way to go for me.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:35 AM
greybullit
Senior User
Thanks for all the information everyone, I have some definite thinking to do about this! But we'll see becuase after all it is primarily my girlfriends truck I just happen to be the one that does all the work to it, all the benfits she has and dosent even know!!! haha thanks alot