Computer Chips & Tuners  

SCT Xcal2 vs. Superchips Micro Max

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Onespeed24
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SCT Xcal2 vs. Superchips Micro Max

I've been doing my homework on which of these to go with for my '03 Expedition. Here's what I've boiled it down to, let me know if I'm correct or way off-base here:

Superchips Micro Max - Comes preloaded with 3 tunes, an 87 octane basic tune, towing 91+ octane and max performance 91+ octane tunes. End user adjustable features are already available. The only way to get new updated tunes is to send the unit back to Superchips. Only customization is by the end user controlled features.

SCT Xcal2 - Comes preloaded with up to 3 tunes depending on the dealer you buy it from. These tunes can be pretty much anything you and the dealer come up with and agree upon. End user adjustments should be available some time in the next few months. New tunes can be purchased from any SCT dealer and downloaded via the internet or email once the v3.0 software is online.

Both products seem about the same to me with the exception of the SCT giving the ability to get new tunes in the future if you are willing to pay for them. Only downside I see to the SCT is that you are relying on the dealer to know what he's doing well enough to benifit you and not screw your computer up, that and the fact that they have released a product with claims of end-user adjustability, but that part is not even finished yet. The downside I see to the Superchips product is that you get what you get as far as tunes and may be stuck with that even though it's not exactly what you were looking for, but the end-user adjustability is already there.

Neither 87 octane tunes produce much in the way of power, but the Superchips already has the ability to adjust for gear ratio, wheel size, A/F ratio, shift points/pressure, etc. The SCT you are basically running the custom tune until the end user stuff becomes available.

So, a simple tune to improve drivability and make some changes like wheel size the Superchips would be the way to go in my opinion. If you want the untimate in flexibility on you tunes and the ability to try out several different tunes and decide the best for your vehicle, but don't mind waiting for the adjustability features, then the SCT Xcal2 should be your choice. Since the 87 octane tunes produce minimal results on both, then the adjustability features is really all you'd be buying, and the Superchips gets the nod there. But my theory on the gas milage is this: Say you get 15 mpg on the stock tune or one of these 87 octane tunes, and you get 18mpg on the 91+ tunes, sure your are not really saving any money in gas, but you are breaking even on gas money and have a lot funner truck to drive.

I know this was lengthy but i had to put it all on paper and see what everyone else thinks or even if I have all my facts straight. Your opinions are welcome and I know if I am incorrect anywhere someone will surely correct it.

Last edited by Onespeed24; 06-23-2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Onespeed24
Elder User
Wow! So no one has any imput or opinion on this?

Old 06-23-2005, 02:04 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My opinion is I think you're being unreasonable expecting instant responses... your initial post is less than 2 hours old. I'll be by after I take care of the huge workload I have today and will chime in.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:29 PM
les017
Senior User
onespeed,
I say you've summed up the basics really well. Others will likely add more details.
As for my opinion, 2 things....(1) don't undersell the SC 87 tune and (2) think about your personal style.

If your truck suffers from poor throttle response, the 87 tune can make a huge difference in general characteristics, if not all-out perfromance.

As for your style - if you are a "set it and forget it" kinda guy then the SC tuner will be great for you. I know I love it and it dramatically changed my truck. But on the other hand, the SC 1714 simply perked my ears up thinking "WOW, if a semi-generic tune can make this much difference just imagine what a discreet tune, provided by a competent tuner, could do for me...especially if my other mods are taken into account". Which is where I am right now...shaking my head at myself for considering selling my 1714 at a loss to help finance an XCal2.

Again, you basic facts are right and either product will likely make you smile...but just take some time to contemplate your navel and know thyself before purchasing.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Onespeed24
Elder User
les017, thanks for the input, and yes I will agree that either one would be a lot better than the factory tune. The concern I have is that part about a competent tuner. I had an Xcal SCT tune on my SVT Focus, tuned by who many believe is the authority on all things Focus, but was it perfect? Not even close. Was it way better tha stock? By far! Unfortunatley it was between the SCT and the Diablosport Predator for that car, and the SCT dealer was local and also the above stated Focus tuning authority. So that's what I went with. This was just an Xcal1 so no end user controlled features or the promise of that in the future. From what I understand the SCT is better than the Superchips as far as technology and software goes, but the end-user adjustable features is what's holding me up right now. I am not really a set-it-and-forget-it type of person, I like to tinker and tweek and all that so the SCT is apealling, but the wait is what's killing me. That software release date is a big carrot dangling out there, and the possibility of getting a better tune down the road is too.

The Superchips tunes are probably a great compromise between reliability and results, but I'm sure some savvy tuner will be able to work wonders with the SCT tune, given time and trial and error. The F-150 is a big market and where a lot of tuners focus their energy, I'm just not sure how much attention the Expedition will be given.

And for the webmaster... Sorry, I am sitting in front of the computer all day, and I just assumed everyone else is too. This just shows another difference between the truck community and the Focus community, as a vast majority of them do sit in front of a computer all day, with absolutely nothing better to do than post on Focaljet! Sorry for being so impatient!

Last edited by Onespeed24; 06-23-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:44 AM
les017
Senior User
Originally Posted by Onespeed24
...as a vast majority of them do sit in front of a computer all day, with absolutely nothing better to do than post on Focaljet!...
hahaha
Onespeed - I hear ya, and then maybe you should wait a bit longer. Cuz I am getting the impression that not all tuners are created equal - both in terms of expertise and after-sale suppor> I also get the distinct impression that when the end-user-adjustability feature is enabled that each tuner will have the ability to limit what THEY think you should be able to play with. I personally think this can be good, since a lot of damage can be done with a tuner in the wrong hands. But again, I guess it's gonna come down to what you want.

best of luck on your Expy!!

Old 06-24-2005, 10:01 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Is your Expedition stock, or have you made changes to it? That can be a huge factor in whether you'll benefit from custom tuning. The so-called off-the-shelf stuff is pretty darn good these days for stock applications. Think about it: the guys who write the tunes for Diablo and Superchips do it day in and day out for years.... they really know their stuff. Of course, they give a little more margin with their tunes because they don't know your driving conditions but overall its good stuff.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Onespeed24
Elder User
No, not stock. I have a Magnaflow cat-back and a K&N Series 77 CAI. Also, I'm pretty sure the gears have been bumped up to 3.73, but I have to verify that. This truck was one of those dealer custom jobs and the new ones on the same lot with similar upgrade packages had 3.73 gears installed. I am having that verified today.

I don't doubt that the Superchips guys know what they are doing when it comes to tuning for a broad base, but once you introduce aftermarket modifications, it changes things. So you think I would benifit more from a custom tune since I have added some bolt-ons? Also, I may upgrade my throttle body and MAF sensor sometime in the future if those will add any benifit, so maybe the custom options is the way to go.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:22 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Cat-bak and K&N -- still stock from a tuning perspective unless there is a problem with the intake causing the MAF reading to be off.. The gearing is mainly an issue of speedo calibration (handled by a Superchips without a problem). The MAF will certainly need custom tuning, especially since so many of them have poor manufacturer calibrations. Aftermarket MAFs can be notoriously inconsistent. Even when I have someone supply me with a MAF calibration sheet I recommend they get a dyno pull after I write the tune so we can be assured the air/fuel ratio is correct across the entire band.

Old 06-25-2005, 07:39 AM
one04fx4
New User
Talking

here is some info i think you need to consider.

The XCalibrator 2 has all-new high speed datalogging (data recording) capability. Using the keypad, you can monitor and record (datalog) critical parameters by having the XCalibrator 2 connected to your vehicle's OBD-II port and your personal computer, using the "Live Link" software. (You can also view data informally using the Xcalibrator 2's built-in LCD display.)

The XCalibrator 2 also allows two 0-5 volt analog inputs when datalogging (such as the LM-1 portable Wideband Air/Fuel ratio recorder we offer elsewhere on this site!). And so you'll be able to tell what those "Check Engine" lights, SES (Service Engine Soon) warnings, "wrench" icons & Failsafe modes etc. actually mean, the XCalibrator 2 allows you to read & clear OBD-II DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). This enables you to immediately identify the code(s) being reported by the vehicle's PCM without leaving home, right in your own driveway.

A nice additional feature is the ability to use the Xcalibrator 2's included USB cable to connect to your Windows PC for things like email program changes to your custom tuning, and a never-before-available hardware update function as well. These fantastic updating capabilities will be put to good use, as the XCalibrator 2 will have even more features such as the ability to make changes to your custom tuning for things like gear ratios & tire size changes - and later on, even more additional features will be enabled such as being able to make your own tuning changes for larger fuel injectors, factory-installed electric cooling fan turn-on & turn-off temperatures, and other "tweaks" to your custom tuning - giving you more control than you've ever had before!

Old 09-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by one04fx4
here is some info i think you need to consider.

A nice additional feature is the ability to use the Xcalibrator 2's included USB cable to connect to your Windows PC for things like email program changes to your custom tuning, and a never-before-available hardware update function as well. These fantastic updating capabilities will be put to good use, as the XCalibrator 2 will have even more features such as the ability to make changes to your custom tuning for things like gear ratios & tire size changes - and later on, even more additional features will be enabled such as being able to make your own tuning changes for larger fuel injectors, factory-installed electric cooling fan turn-on & turn-off temperatures, and other "tweaks" to your custom tuning - giving you more control than you've ever had before! [/font]

With the USB/PC hook up to the Xcal2 can I make changes that will be "like burning a new chip"? Does this capability save the cost of future upgrades?
Is there a charge for the email updates from SCT?

Old 09-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Xcal2 Programming Questions?

More questions - can I play around with the air/fuel, timing, detonation curves, converter lockup points to optimize the programming for my use? Can I tune for city driving using 87 octane for economy and power tune for towing my 9200 # Travel Trailer in the 2300 to 3500 RPM range - all without burning new chips?

Old 09-12-2005, 02:50 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
You have limited changes you can make with the XCal2. The dealer can set how high and low any of the given parameters can be changed.

SCT doesn't email updates, they are available on their web site. If you want new tunes written at a later date I'm going to charge for that, most dealers would.

Here's what you can change:
http://www.motorhaven.com/product.ph...cat=274&page=1

Old 09-21-2005, 07:43 PM
xc7edge
New User
Is anyone running a SCT XCal2 tuned by JMS Chip and Performance? Trying to figure out if theres much of a difference between custom tunes from company to company selling these SCT's. Thanks for any input..

Old 10-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Eric - SCT
New User
Some dealers do have more experience than others, but all of our dealers start with the same base files.

Quick Reply: SCT Xcal2 vs. Superchips Micro Max