Modular V10 (6.8l)  

STROKED Mod Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Danko
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STROKED Mod Engines?

Has anyone heard of the 6.8 or 5.4 getting stroked? These newer engines all seem to have smaller bores and longer strokes than I like but I love cubic inches and wonder if anyone offers a stroker kit. I can live with a low rpm/longer stroke in a truck more easily than in a car. I have two SC 5.4 HarleyDavidson F150's and that forum never heard of 5.4's getting stroked. Since the V-10 is a 5.4 with a back room added on, I am asking about 5.4 and/or 6.8 stroking. Anyone heard of any yet????? ...and while I am at it, how much can these new engines be bored out? It bothers me that other companies are offering over 8 liters and the best we can do is 6.8. I need some CUBES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You would think with 10 cylinders that it could happen?

Old 06-22-2005, 09:02 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
One day I will be free of my adult children and have the time and money to get a "play" truck and a V10 that need "massaged" I fully intend to get as "out there" as money will allow!

My idea is lightened up some, bored to max over (no stroke...custom cranks can run over 3K$) ceramic top and slippery skirted custome domed Kieth Black Hyperutetic pistons (very reasonable price) I may toy with just keeping the valve timing and durations but have the cams custom welded and reground with a little more lift.

Light weight flywheel mated to a viper transmission again not that exotic and pretty reasonable prices

I will twin turbo it (cuz I like the tunability of turbos over blowers)

Now if I put one in a T bucket open wheeled roadster... (seriously leaning this way) It would have to get a custom intake and a roots 6/71 polished on top

Now there is a mental picture you just have to get...close your eyes now boys and girls and think of a V10 with all the polished and chrome sitting proud in an open wheeled roadster with 5 left and 5 right yes count all the shiny chromed exhaust pipes 10 fire spitting loud *** pipes

Now there is a real 10 burning 2 rolling smoke! (giant wide *** Mickey Thompson N50x15s)

Old 06-22-2005, 10:46 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't believe their is any aftermarket crank for a v10, let alone a stroker one.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:17 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
I don't believe their is any aftermarket crank for a v10, let alone a stroker one.
there's always a market with enough money pushing it, I think the $3K Fred quoted was a custom ground. Longer rods would increase displacement, is the mod block able to be overbored much I wonder ? 5.4 rods will go in, as will pistons and whatever grind someone has done to a 5.4 should work on the 6.8. Extrude hone pushed through the heads will help flow, bigger injectors, milled heads, oh I could go on and on. I heard somewhere the crank will hold up to 700 hp.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Danko
Senior User
Okay, I asked if anyone has heard of the mod engines getting stroked. I got three responses but no answers. I will try again and negative responses are not requested ......... Has anyone heard of the modular engines actually BEING STROKED?????????

Old 06-23-2005, 02:23 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Danko
Okay, I asked if anyone has heard of the mod engines getting stroked. I got three responses but no answers. I will try again and negative responses are not requested ......... Has anyone heard of the modular engines actually BEING STROKED?????????
I have followed alot of guys over the years with V-10's in Mustangs, Capri's and a Crown Vic. Everything I've ever read had zero crank work, crank mods, or anything. Like I said you MAY be able to gain some stroke with longer rods and modified piston pins placement. So if this helps, cool. There is no info on stroking the V-10 anywhere that I have seen, and I look.

Here's a fairly informative site; http://www.sullivanperformance.com/YVS450/tech/tech.htm

Last edited by ken04; 06-23-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Danko
Senior User
There is nothing about stroking modular engines. Hell, I am in no hurry though, and will soak up some of the warranteed miles first but I like to look ahead and plan out something and get it done right by someone that knows how. By the time I am ready to screw up my engine, there may be someone with experience and parts to do it. Thought I would ask. I am not optimistic though because the 5.4 has been around and I see nothing about stroking it or even decent boring.

Last edited by Danko; 06-23-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:58 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
It would be next to impossible to stroke a 5.4l or a 6.8l, and the returns would be rather insignificant even if you could.
I looked into it very basically for my car (a 5.4l), as I wanted to build a big Naturally Aspirated high speed cruiser:
The engine is already rediculously undersquare
4.16" stroke, 3.55" bore
For comparison, some of the wildest stroked big block Ford 460's only have a 4.75" stroke.
Read that to mean: If you want more low end torque, look at other enhancements, stroking the engine (if it was viable, and IMHO it isn't) will provide negligble improvements.
For cost effectiveness, a turbo or blower is a relatively cheap addition, and if tuned correctly can really create a mountain of low rpm torque.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

BigF350

I think one of the other problems as far as the V10 is concerned with too many internal mods would be the hassle of re-swinging the counter ballance shaft.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:53 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I think that it could feasibly be done, not easy, but it could be done.
But as mentioned, I don't think it would be worthwhile, unless you had to much money, had a great understanding of these mod engines, and REALLY wanted naturally aspiration.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:44 AM
Danko
Senior User
Helpful insight! THNX!!! So a turbo would be better than supercharging?

Old 06-24-2005, 08:47 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigF350
It would be next to impossible to stroke a 5.4l or a 6.8l, and the returns would be rather insignificant even if you could.
I looked into it very basically for my car (a 5.4l), as I wanted to build a big Naturally Aspirated high speed cruiser:
The engine is already rediculously undersquare
4.16" stroke, 3.55" bore
For comparison, some of the wildest stroked big block Ford 460's only have a 4.75" stroke.
Read that to mean: If you want more low end torque, look at other enhancements, stroking the engine (if it was viable, and IMHO it isn't) will provide negligble improvements.
For cost effectiveness, a turbo or blower is a relatively cheap addition, and if tuned correctly can really create a mountain of low rpm torque.
there's an old formula around racing circles that anything above 2500 feet of piston travel per minute equates to less longevity. A Nascar engine at 10,000 rpm is way more than double that, like 6800 or so, believe it or not a F1 engine is around 4700. This V-10 is way undersquare, I'm guessing for torque, although that theory is becoming less prevalent nowadays. 4.16 inches of stroke is a bunch, a longer stroke may not clear the block without some grinding. And then there's rod/pistons angles that go up. Plus the added stress on the crank which is fairly long anyway. I think I may look at power adders, as you said, or maybe a bit of bore increase and getting the heads to flow better. All the stroke in the world don't mean spit if the engine can't get air in, and then out.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Danko

I am a turbo fan (but that is because I have a LOT of experience with them) but there are great arguments to be made for the blowers.

There are a few companies that did the R&D for a blower kit for the Ford gas motors. I have not found any aftermarket "plug n play" turbo set ups out there.

OK, that is not true, there is one company claiming that their rear axle area mounted turbo is very good and has no lag... I just do not buy into their hype and BS. I know for a fact that a 14 foot long column of air will take time to compress and flow no matter how you size the compressor.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:19 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
Danko

I am a turbo fan (but that is because I have a LOT of experience with them) but there are great arguments to be made for the blowers.

There are a few companies that did the R&D for a blower kit for the Ford gas motors. I have not found any aftermarket "plug n play" turbo set ups out there.

OK, that is not true, there is one company claiming that their rear axle area mounted turbo is very good and has no lag... I just do not buy into their hype and BS. I know for a fact that a 14 foot long column of air will take time to compress and flow no matter how you size the compressor.
I've looked at that Squire turbo system too, many times. All the videos of it are at the drag strip, so spooling the turbo with a high stall converter is not like getting out of a stop light on a hill with a 12K trailer hooked on the back. I have a photo of a V-10 with 2 small turbos but had a hard time getting it to post here. I'll try again next week.

Today is the big soccer tourney in Portland. We're seeded up fairly high because of being last years district champs. So lotsa pressure on us, especially on my kid. It's hard to believe an 11 year old could be recruited so heavily, or at all for that matter. But this is the world of sports nowadays. So she's supposedly the big gun all the other teams are talking about. But to me she's my cute little blonde 11 yr old, with a huge foot albeit. So I'll dig up that twin turbo V-10 foto and get er done so y'all can squint it, peace, Ken