Oil & Lubrication  

Castrol GTX

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:45 PM
grbr95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Castrol GTX

Is Castrol GTX still as good as it has been in the past years now that BP owns it? I've read many good testimonials from people who use Castrol, but wonder if the present day stuff is still just as good, or better?
Also, is it just me, or does anyone else wish that Castrol would put a window on the side of the quart bottles so you can see how much oil you have poured?

Old 06-20-2005, 11:47 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
I also wish that castrol would put a window on the side of their bottles. Dont know how good castrol used to be, but I do know that it took my truck to 180,000 miles with no problem. Am using tropartic now, but would not hesitate to go back to castrol.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:02 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE!

Well, seeing as I never thought GTX was that great, I'm sure it's no worse now. Castrol used to be (and I think still is) basically just a blender with no manufacturing or R&D capacity, but they always have great marketing.

Personally, I think you can find better products for less money.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:19 AM
grbr95
Senior User
May I ask you what is so special about Tropic Artic? It seems to be so "generic" among other oils. (never see it advertised). Would you think that Castrol would be better all around? I see T-Artic at Walmart, if you blinked you'd miss it on the shelf. Instead, all you can see is Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil in plain view. May I ask why you use Tropic Artic instead? It seems to be a dime-store kind of oil. Educate me.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:36 AM
GWIGG
Junior User
I've used GTX in every car and truck I have ever owned. Never had a problem what so ever.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:12 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by grbr95
I see T-Artic at Walmart, if you blinked you'd miss it on the shelf. Instead, all you can see is Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil in plain view. May I ask why you use Tropic Artic instead?
I can't speak to Trop Arctic because I have not used it, but if you do a search in this forum, I bet somebody posted specs on it.

If you do some more looking around here, you'll find several threads on the quality difference gap between the name and off brands. You might be surprised, that gap is not what it used to be.

The reason you see all the Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil and Pennzoil containers on the shelves at Wally has nothing to do with quality. It's all about money and who pays for the SKUs.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:35 PM
i1dery
Posting Guru
I use and have used castrol oil in every vehicle i own or owned
and have never had a problem. thinks it s great stuff. Besides
brand of oil you use is all preferance cuz dont they all have to
meet a certain standard???

Old 06-21-2005, 01:12 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
May I ask you what is so special about Tropic Artic? It seems to be so "generic" among other oils. (never see it advertised). Would you think that Castrol would be better all around? I see T-Artic at Walmart, if you blinked you'd miss it on the shelf. Instead, all you can see is Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil in plain view. May I ask why you use Tropic Artic instead? It seems to be a dime-store kind of oil. Educate me.
TropArtic is a very inexpensive semi synthetic (first cousin to motorcraft) that has brought excellant uoas. I am not harping on it, just trying it out as it is a semi synthetic for less than I was paying for dino oil and my truck seems to like it better.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:13 PM
grbr95
Senior User
You know, I've heard it stated before that Castrol is only a blender and that they don't do as much in the R & D of it.

What conventional brand of oil would you consider to be notch above Castrol?
Valvoline? Mobil 5000? etc..??

Old 06-22-2005, 06:27 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
It's not that I think it is inferior, I just don't think it is worth a premium price over any of the gas station brands. If you have been using it with success, my recommendation is to keep using it.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:51 AM
grbr95
Senior User
Thank you all for replying to my post. I greatly apreciate it.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:49 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know, I've heard it stated before that Castrol is only a blender and that they don't do as much in the R & D of it.
Actually, they do a lot of R&D in Europe. Castrol is factory fill for BMW and develop lubes especially for them and others. Castrol North America may be another story. A representative from BP Air told me that Castrol Aviator oil is contract blended by American Refining of Bradford PA.

Valvoline, Pennzoil, QS and Castrol are the biggest sellers, but read this.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...60F56,b186n0qP

"No question that ExxonMobil is a big supplier of base oil to the
lubricants industry. The company controls nearly one of every
six barrels of mineral base oil capacity worldwide. It is nearly
twice the size of the second-place supplier. It owns four of the
10 largest base oil plants on the planet..."

Jim

Old 06-22-2005, 08:34 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
trop artic oil has been around for 75 years and is made by conoco/phillips66 the same company who makes the motorcraft oil .the oil is just as good if not better than the 2.00 a quart oils at half the price the oil also uses group III basestock imported by conoco.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:57 PM
grbr95
Senior User
And I've noticed Castrol's new commercial bawking at how it keeps sludge out.
But they never say how... Is it additional additives...?? Come on Castrol, people such as those who post on this forum want to know what you do so differently to your oil in order to keep sludge out compared to other oils!! LOL
Anyone know? And I'll but the answer I get is that all oils prevent sludge when changed at propper intervals. Answered my own question eh?

Old 07-08-2005, 07:21 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Every oil brand will make the same claim, its all in what your
preferance is in choosing the oil you want to use. I use castrol
for as long as ive known how to drive and ill stick with it.

Quick Reply: Castrol GTX