Computer Chips & Tuners  

2004 5.4 auto. is programmer worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 06:31 PM
gixxer1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2004 5.4 auto. is programmer worth buying?

i own a 2004 5.4 auto 4x4 reg cab. only mod is cold air intake.......is it worth buying the superchips tuner? will it give me a noticeable difference in power? better mpg? better throttle responce? and where is the cheapest place to buy it? thanx guys. did search but did not help.......

Old 06-21-2005, 03:35 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Tuners make a huge difference on the 2004+ 5.4L, even more than they do with the older 1997-2003. Not only do they give about 30HP, you're also going to see a remarkable improvement in throttle response. Try www.motorhaven.com for an SCT Xcalibrator2, Superchips Microtuner or DiabloSport Predator.

Old 06-21-2005, 06:52 AM
gixxer1
Junior User
what about hypertech? is this the best one? or most useable?

Old 06-21-2005, 07:31 AM
MotorPsycho
Senior User
You might want to read "Trouble with programmer" posted a few minutes after you posted this one.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:26 PM
gixxer1
Junior User
so which tuner would be best for me?i want more power, better throttle responce, firmer shifts with 87 octane and a code reader. my truck is always empty. can you guys give me some input based on experiance? thanx

Old 07-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Milwaukee
Senior User
I love my superchips I installed on my 2000 Lightning. With a cold air filter, 4 pound crank pulley, got a 102 mph in the 1/4 mile run 13.56 seconds. I was running 98 mph without it. But now I was think of doing other mods like MAF,headers,bigger throttle body etc. and the tuner I have does not have an adjustments for it. If you are planning to get other mods later go with one that can do more things. Such as the diablo, there are others out there but I cant think of them.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:01 PM
MotorPsycho
Senior User
I've got a SuperChips Xcalibrator 2 on order. I've read more horror stories about Hypertech and Diable Sport by far than I have the SuperChips products. I've also had a Diablo FlipChip and it was suboptimal to say the least.

I'd also recommend that you buy from a reputable dealer. If you have a problem as some inevitably to, service after the sale is important. Find a dealer with a reputation of resolving any issues that crop up.

Enjoy.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:32 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
No such thing as a Superchips XCalibrator 2. There is a "Superchips Custom Tuning" or "SCT" Xcalibrator 2.... and its not made by Superchips. SCT is a completely different company. Performance has more to do with the tune than the brand in many cases.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:10 PM
bunnycop
Senior User
Ken, i looked everywhere for the code you needed to program a SCT for my 2006 5.4 Expedition. i looked on the passenger side door jam by the hinge,,nothing. any other ideas?

Old 07-06-2005, 03:07 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bunnycop
Ken, i looked everywhere for the code you needed to program a SCT for my 2006 5.4 Expedition. i looked on the passenger side door jam by the hinge,,nothing. any other ideas?
Look on the computer box itself, it'll have three wiring harnesses plugged into it, under the hood on the firewall. The sticker will be on it as well.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:01 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Give me a call and I can set you up. However many tunes you need, plus the software to modify them, are included.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:35 PM
showcars
New User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by webmaster
Give me a call and I can set you up. However many tunes you need, plus the software to modify them, are included.
The software is free online. Glad to see that you include it.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:51 PM
bunnycop
Senior User
Ken, here is what is on my sticker on the PCM under the hood

CSV1
PCM U222
5E10
M799G
6L1A-!2A650-EB
6FXF25T00R4

Its a 2006 Limited Expedition 4x4 5.4

if you have a SCT Xcalibrator 2 for this engine, i will buy it ASAP

thanks, Tom
i will call tommorow around lunch time with the credit card info

Old 07-10-2005, 12:46 PM
creaney
Freshman User
Cool Still Dazed & Confused

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the forum & spent several hours over the past few days researching how and IF I can get better fuel economy out of my '97 4wd EB Expy w/5.4L & auto trans @ 125,000 mi., & still running like brand new. I've done all the obvious: light throttle foot, K&N filter, Bosch platinum +4 plugs, synthetic blend oil. I'm averaging 15-16 mpg combined, w/ 13-14 city & 18-19 hwy on cruise control @ 54 - 64 m.p.h. Tires are BFG Rugged Trail LT265-70 R17 w/max inflation pressure of 80 or 85 p.s.i., that I run at 60 p.s.i.

All of the reasearch I've done regarding flash tuners and chips has left me more confused than ever. Seems that there's conflicting info everywhere, even including in the FAQ's in this forum, which I read BEFORE posting this message, as was requested.

For example:

Q Will it increase my mileage?
A ...For gas applications, no. While gas tuners will often give 1-2 mpg in the higher octane tunes, the added mileage benefit is offset by the additional cost of premium fuel.

(note: I can get 1-2 m.p.g. more out of 93 octane WITHOUT a custom tune, but the price difference isn't worth it.)

Q Must I use premium fuel with a gasoline tuner or chip?
A Its not strictly required (if an 87 octane program is used) but you lose most of the benefit of a chip if you don't use premium fuel programming.

Q Will I get more power with a custom tune?
A ...However, we've done quite a bit with custom tunes and can squeeze extra power out with some applications. Sometimes will be at the expense of mileage, etc., so it can be a trade-off. For SCT, we've created some "dual tune" tables. Essentially you get a mileage tune at part throttle and a power tune at wide open throttle...

A local shop offers to "increase fuel economy 3-5 m.p.g." with a $550. custom tune, but of course, offers no guarantee of any results whatsoever. I didn't fall out of the banana truck yesterday. I can buy a chip or a programmer for notably less than that, and sell it with the vehicle if I can't improve the fuel economy situation. I feel that my goals are realistic. I'd be happy as a clam if I could pick up 2-3 m.p.g., and not have to get rid of my Expy for an Escape, or a CRV. Gas prices locally have jumped another 10 cents a gallon in the past few days, to about $2.40/gal., and I can't take much more of this pattern, combined with a pattern of news of record oil company profits.

When I find a vehicle that I like, I keep it for a LONG time. I have a '90 Jeep Wrangler w/255k mi. that I just put the second replacement engine into. Ironically, the Wrangler is now giving me only about 16 m.p.g. So, do I sell the Jeep because I'm getting close to the same mileage with the Expy with a lot more room, comfort, etc., or do I sell the Expy because the Jeep is substaintially simpler and less expensive to maintain over the long haul?

That's my tirade. So do I spend money to buy a chip or a programmer, to gain 2-3 m.p.g. (not 3-5), or just sadly say goodbye to my Expy??

If ANYONE can give me some real guidance with regard to a programmer or a chip, or simply tell me that my goals of a 2-3 m.p.g. gain are completely unrealistic, I would be EXTREMELY and sincerely grateful.

Thanks very much!

Old 07-11-2005, 04:22 PM
kevincw
Posting Guru
I have the #1714 Max Micro Tuner. It has increased my mileage, when I'm not on it. The shifts are nice and firm now. The throttle lag is gone, plus it has a built in code reader. I have used the code reader on my nieghbors T'bird, daughters mustang, and nephews truck.

Quick Reply: 2004 5.4 auto. is programmer worth buying?