1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missmatched Radius Arm Bushings!

Old 06-18-2005, 04:20 PM
cactusbronco
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Missmatched Radius Arm Bushings!

I have been having trouble with my '95 wandering and after checking the radius arm bushings I found a stock(black rubber conical)bushing on the left and a red flat one on the right. I looked at Checker Auto online and they have TRW heavy- duty bushings that match the one on the right. I know Checkers track record for junk parts but in the past I have had good luck with TRW. What are your opinions?

Old 06-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Streetgang
Elder User
I have been running a mis matched set of RA bushings on my 93 for over a year now. I have one set of OEM and one set of Energy. As long as the guy who is going to do the alignment knows a Ford TTB like the back of his hand (but thats the case even with matched bushings) you will have no problems at all.
The reason I used a set of energy bushings on my truck was because the right side ones would always fail long before the left side. What we came up with as a reason for this was this......the right side RA bushing runs very close to the exhaust system and the repeated heating, cooling, flexing of the bushing would cause the failure. So I decided to go with a set of Energy but only on the right side to see how long it will take for them to fail. If they out last my last set of OEM units I will stick with energy.
I know for sure I have two spare sets on the shelf, and my brackets have long since been drilled and bolted with Grade-8 hardware changing them is no big deal. I think I am going to go back to a full set of OEM rubber style once one the sets I have on now start to show signs of failure......then take her to the alignment shop.....done deal!

OH.....on a side note. For your wandering problem....I would look at everything south of the pitman arm and make sure there is no play in anything......then change out the RA bushings.....THEN get a alignment at a TRUSTED place!

Old 06-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Well, OK, I guess? I'm a little confused as why one would use polyurethane bushings on one side and stock rubber on the other. Yes, you are right that the right side will fail well before the left due to the proximity of the cat. But these are suspension bushings. You need to have both sides of the suspension moving and flexing at the same rate for a nice smooth, or at least, symetrical ride. So you need a matched set of flexible components.

Gee, I guess you could use Rancho 5000 or 9000 shocks and adjust the left to all soft and the right to all hard and then get a goofy riding suspension. But why?

This is what you do mixing the hardness compound of yout bushings - call them radius arm, shock mount, sway bar - whatever.

Not trying to bag on you. Gee, I just want to help people understand the vehicles they are working on.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:07 AM
Streetgang
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jharger
Well, OK, I guess? I'm a little confused as why one would use polyurethane bushings on one side and stock rubber on the other. Yes, you are right that the right side will fail well before the left due to the proximity of the cat. But these are suspension bushings. You need to have both sides of the suspension moving and flexing at the same rate for a nice smooth, or at least, symetrical ride. So you need a matched set of flexible components.

Gee, I guess you could use Rancho 5000 or 9000 shocks and adjust the left to all soft and the right to all hard and then get a goofy riding suspension. But why?

This is what you do mixing the hardness compound of yout bushings - call them radius arm, shock mount, sway bar - whatever.

Not trying to bag on you. Gee, I just want to help people understand the vehicles they are working on.
I totally understand the truck and the operation of the TTB front end, and its suspension. The thing is....I feel absolutely no difference in the way it rides/handles.....no difference in the way the way it flexes......and no difference in the amount of travel or its articulation.....AT ALL!

With all that said......I still like the OEM rubber units better, and after posting last night I went down to my garage and took a look at the two sets of bushings on the shelf. The OEM rubber set I have comes with a "heat shield", and the instructions say it goes on the right side RA......so I guess its a well known issue....that the RS bushing fails before the LS. I think that this Fall I will do all the bushings on my Bronco, and most will be replaced with Energy poly units, but the rad arm bushings will be OEM rubber ones.

In any case......like I said my RA bracket mounting hardware has long since been drilled out and replaced with grade-8 fasteners, so the changing of a set of bushings is a snap.......I do have to farm out the alignment though.
As you may know......ANYTIME you mess with the radius arm....its bracket or bushings, you HAVE to have the front end aligned to complete the job.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Yes the cupped metal heat shield is OEM due to the location of the exhaust and heat in the area to extend the life of the bushings. Not sure how effective it really is. And I have had some folks tell me to never use polyurethane bushings on the radius arms or anywhere because it makes for too stiff a ride. To each his own.