6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

One Problem -- A Small One Or??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Labgal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Problem -- A Small One Or??

Well,

On the way home from a trip to Arkansas this weekend, I stopped 2 1/2 hours from home to top off the tank at the last decent-priced truck stop. When I pulled in there I had 1/3 tank.

Filled it to the absolute brim. Pulled out and noticed that the gauge was still reading 1/3 tank. My info center said 262 miles to empty. I pulled over, looking to make sure there was no leak. No leak. Got back in, now the gauge needle was below empty... info center said "---Miles to empty" and then it read "Fuel System Data Error"

Early a.m. so I called the dealer wondering if the computer would shut off my truck. They couldn't be sure. I knew I had a full tank. They said to stop at nearest dealership, I did, that dealer said drive home. When I got back in my truck, gauge went back to 1/3 tank. Called my dealer back on the way and made an appt. Those last two hours home my gauge started creeping back up slowly but surely, over about an hour, and info center miles til empty kept rising along with it. Now seems to be working and the dealer says they probably won't find anything but they wanted to try.

I had to leave it overnight because no diesel tech was free until morn. I hated to part with my truck! but sure don't want a problem.

THOUGHTS?

Old 06-13-2005, 06:17 PM
captchas
lab girl
when you filled it up, by chance was it running? some of todays cars and trucks with the computerized fuel gauge goes wackie when filled up and running. just a thought as i have had it happen to me.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Labgal
Senior User
Hey there, Captchas.

No, I always shut my truck off before fueling...too worried about the fire stories. So, that's not it...

Old 06-13-2005, 07:29 PM
2003Stroker
Freshman User
hey Labgal
this same thing happend to my truck about 3 weeks ago it fixed itself after a couple days

Old 06-13-2005, 07:58 PM
captchas
2003 stroker
welcome to fte, the best ford truck site on the web. please take some time and read our site guide lines and the area read firsts. then enjoy fte to you fullest

Last edited by captchas; 06-14-2005 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:05 PM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Labgal,
My fuel gauge will act wacky after re-filling... But only if I have the key on auxiliary (to keep the music going). Usually, the gauge corrects itself after about an hour of drive time and/or several start-ups.

Last edited by utahtom; 06-13-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:32 PM
moebdick
Elder User
Key not fully in "off" position was my first thought as well. If it doesn't reset on it's own, try disconnecting the batteries. If that doesn't do it, there's something wrong with the fuel guage system.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Labgal
Senior User
I wish I had the truck running or the key not OFF so that there would be a simple explanation. However, the truck was shut off and the key was out of the ignition. ???

Old 06-14-2005, 06:16 AM
3/4ER
Elder User
Ditto, Same thing happened to me early on. Never turned key on again, never had the problem again. Don't over react to this problem, you really don't want the dealership experimenting with your truck unneccesarily.

Originally Posted by utahtom
Labgal,
My fuel gauge will act wacky after re-filling... But only if I have the key on auxiliary (to keep the music going). Usually, the gauge corrects itself after about an hour of drive time and/or several start-ups.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Labgal
Senior User
But once again, I did not have the truck running or the key in aux...if either one was the case I would not be worried after what y'all have said. The fact that the truck was off and the key was out of the truck and I'm going to be spending a lot of time on the road this summer in out-of-the-way places has me worried that this might be the prelude to a problem. I appreciate the input...

Old 06-14-2005, 06:50 AM
3/4ER
Elder User
Did you turn the key on to reset your tripmeter?

Old 06-14-2005, 07:02 AM
Labgal
Senior User
Not sure what you mean, 3/4ER. I turned the truck on and off a number of times hoping to jog something. I also pressed reset a number of times hoping to clear the FUEL SYSTEM DATA ERROR message. At some point that message went away. Then the gauge went up to 1/3 again (where it was before I filled up) and over the period of the next hour my gauge crept upward until it was at full and the miles to empty kept going up along with it. Probably at some point while I was doing the RESET routine I am sure I also reset the trip setting... What would the trip setting and RESET have to do with the fuel gauge and fuel info setting? TIA ...

Old 06-14-2005, 07:21 AM
3/4ER
Elder User
When this happen to me it adjusted itself over a short period of time, (1hour?) I don't remember the exact circumstances. But I do recall turning on the key to reset the tripmeter, possibly while I was still fueling up. This problem is not new to the forum, that was my point. I'm sure if I ran to the dealer right away, they would have had that new dashboard torn apart in no time. See if it happens again before you get too excited about it. But always remember, do not touch that key until the last drop of fuel goes into that tank.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:27 AM
3/4ER
Elder User
Not being an automotive electrical engineer I can answer the last part of your question, but I'll wager anything thats what happened to you. You described to a T my same situation.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:00 AM
rblomquist
Senior User
Great post for a soon to be PSD newbie like me. I'm going to pick mine up hopefully next week and I about always filled by Cummins with the engine on.

Quick Reply: One Problem -- A Small One Or??