1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Broken Tailgate Straps.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:16 PM
XLT O_R Ranger
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Broken Tailgate Straps.

I had a bit of a scary moment on Saturday morning. While unloading my ATV from the box of my 2001 Ranger, as I have done maybe 50-100 times since 2001, I almost flipped off when BOTH my tailgate straps decided to let go at the same time. "Luckily" my bumper stopped the tailgate which resulted in a crease in my tailgate running the complete length of it. The tailgate still closes and the damage is relativly minimal but still noticable.

I do not expect a new tailgate from Ford but I believe I deserve a set of straps.

My brother in law has a full size 2003 chevy and his straps were recalled for the same reason. It seems that while the straps are covered by a plastic sheath, moisture collects and corrodes the straps from the inside out which can be 100% un-noticable.

Are there any such TSB's or recalls for Ford? My ATV is well within the acceptable weight as set by Ford.

Anyone able to help me out with some details or has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
Drew

Old 06-13-2005, 01:25 PM
XLT O_R Ranger
Junior User
Just spoke with Ford's "Customer Relationship Center" They say that there is no TSB or recalls for this issue and therefore there is nothing they can/will do for me. Not impressed. It was clearly defective straps that caused my problem. I guess I'd have been better of had I injured myself?? Then they might have wanted to talk to me??

Some one else must have experienced this problem. If not I strongly recommend that you check your straps for potential problems.

So where do I go from here? I guess I should get some pictures of the broken and corroded straps and email them to Ford? At least then I have some written documentation? Or just drop it because it must be an isolated incident................... No-one elses will be in the same condition as mine.......................................

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Drew

Old 06-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
I don't know what the max weight you can put on a tailgate safely, but I would think an atv with rider would be getting pretty close to the maxium.
Dave

Old 06-13-2005, 03:03 PM
XLT O_R Ranger
Junior User
Well Dave the mathamatics involved to figure out the actuall weight on the tailgate are a little much for me.

My ramps are probably on a 35-40 degree angle. Combined weight of machine and rider would be around 800 pounds. At no point is the complete weight applied to the tailgate since it's wheelbase is probably 50 inches. I would have to figure out the weight on the front tires on a 35 degree angle and the weight of the back tires after the front tires are already in the box of the truck. I simply do not have that equation.

I am sure the weight contributed to the malfunction of the straps but I firmly believe that it would not have happened if the inner cable of the straps were not corroded and concealed inside the plastic sheath.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Donald Rohret
Senior User
Does anyone know the maximum weight that Ford recommends that can be placed on the tailgate? After I play golf, my buddy and I usually sit on the tailgate and have a beer. Incidentally, my tailgate straps on my '95 look to be galvanically sealed on both ends. I can't imagine any moisture penetrating those straps, but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps Ford changed the design in the newer models. Also, I think I've seen those tailgate straps on sale at Advanced Auto Parts. Not sure if they had them for Rangers though.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Donald Rohret
Senior User
Whoops! I just found my own answer in my owner's manual. It says, 500lbs for my '95. Anything greater, they recommend undoing the tailgate and loading directly onto the truck bed.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:07 PM
XLT O_R Ranger
Junior User
Where did you find that info Donald? I would love to know what the recomendation is for mine (probably the same?)

Now if I could only figure out what the actuall weight is being applied to my tailgate. That would at least provide me with a baseline.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
If there is no additional support for the ramps, one end on the ground and one end on the truck tail gate then all the weight would have to be supported by the two straps holding the tailgate. Of course both straps did not break at the exact same moment, one broke and the other could not hold the load and broke a few milliseconds later. Anyway, have you thought of putting some heavy chains on to support the tailgate instead of the straps Ford supplys?
Dave

Old 06-14-2005, 07:41 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Strange, a fellow over on the MotorWeek forum had the same thing happen on his 2001 Chevy silverado tailgate last week. His were encased in a plastic coating too & were rusted badly, but you couldn't see it. both failed at the same time too, when he stepped on it.

Apparently GM will have a TSB to change them to SS wire this summer.

My 99 Ranger has what appears to be uncoated galvanized wire & it still looks ok, so if the end fittings are the same, maybe you could opt for the older cables.

Don't know what a new OEM set would cost, but if the cost is out of sight lie the GM cables were, I'll bet you might find a reasonable price on a pair at the salvage yard.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:35 AM
XLT O_R Ranger
Junior User
pawpaw,

I actually have that TSB from GM. I will be sending that with the pictures of my straps to Ford. I know there is little chance of Ford admitting there is a problem and creating a recall for this issue but I want it documented as it could have caused serious injury.

I'm really not concerned about the price to replace them. It is just the principal of it.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:35 AM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading Dons comment I took a look at the owners manual for my 87 Ranger & it sez the same: "Caution the tailgate load should not exceed 500 pounds. When heavy cargo is to be loaded into your vehicle, it is recommended that you load the items directly on the load floor to avoid damage to the tailgate or tailgate supports."

Old 06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
XLT O_R Ranger
Junior User
So I can make the assumption that the max load for my tailgate is 500 pounds.

Now with that said I still have no idea what weight I am placing on my tailgate. I am not doing a wheely on my tailgate so it is not the full 800 pounds on machine / rider weight all at once. The ramps are steep for a reason, it puts more stress on them rathar than on the tailgate. By the time my rear wheels are near the top of the ramps the front wheels are already in the truck and supporting weight. I guess I need to somehow figure this out.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:22 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Dave257
If there is no additional support for the ramps, one end on the ground and one end on the truck tail gate then all the weight would have to be supported by the two straps holding the tailgate. Of course both straps did not break at the exact same moment, one broke and the other could not hold the load and broke a few milliseconds later. Anyway, have you thought of putting some heavy chains on to support the tailgate instead of the straps Ford supplys?
Dave
You are correct in stating that one broke then the other immediately therafter. However. As long as the ramps are supported by the ground and the tailgate, the ground is taking some of the load and thus the tailgate does not take all of it. That said, I suspect that the front wheels of the ATV were on the talgate and the rear wheels were on the ramp weh it broke. This would be when the tailgate and therefore the straps are under the greatest load. If the ramps are steep the tailgate will see almost all of the load until the ATV's center of gravity passes over the interface of the tailgate and the ramp.

If I get chance this afternoon, I will sketch it out get you a rough idea of the loads on the straps/cables. If Ford recommends 500lbs max on the tailgate, they are saying that the load rating for the straps/cables is something less than 250lbs each. I susepct you were overloading the cables - corroded or not.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:16 PM
XLT O_R Ranger
Junior User
You are right on that texan2004. I guess I did not factor in the weight at the pivot point before it transfers.

However the cables were compromised. There is no debate there. And there is no way to prove how compromised they were since they are already broken. Another question I have is what the load rating is for, is it for the cables or the hardware mounting the cables to the tailgate? I would have thought that cable like that would have a far higher tensile strength than 250 or 500 pounds.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off a little abrasive. I have loaded this machine many many times. I also personally know at least 10 others that load their machines in the same way and guarntee thousands and thousands do the same. (I know that does not make it right) but I put the blame on the cables. And since another manufacturer describes this exact problem as a safety issue and recommends not using your tailgate untill you replace your recalled cables as they could cause serious injury I think there may be some merit in my complaint.

Again thanks for all of your comments and keep them coming (unless you feel I am beating it to death) This site would suck if everyone agreed and no one had valid objective opinions.

Drew

Old 06-14-2005, 01:36 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Assuming this happended recently (last day or two) and you didn't trhown it into a mud puddle, you should be able to look at the cable and tell if the cable was comprimised or not prior to breaking. Look for shiny metal vs. corroded. Can you take any pictures and post them??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken Tailgate Straps.