Would anyone do this???

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/featu...orl-home-promo

just curious,

Scott

Old 06-08-2005, 02:47 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there are already people doing it... it is just a matter of time till biodiesel becomes the fuel of choice for all diesel owners... more and more people will do it.. more and more truck fleets... the production capablilities will increase the availability will increase then the cost will descrease and one day that's all we'll be using... i may be crazy but i think that someday there may be mostly diesel powered vehicles on the road.. gasoline will be something you have to buy special just for your old "classic cars"...! call me crazy if you want... and i'm no environmentalist... it's just that i think economic factors are going to cause this to happen.. and because biodiesel is so much more environmentally freindly, it will just happen... it will be a whole new industry... my advice... buy stock in whatever plant they make veggy oil out of...!

Old 06-08-2005, 02:53 PM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have read about some of the kits. All of them allow you to run reg. diesel or veggie. So even while supplies are limited you could do this. Running on veggie fuel is supposed to be better for the engine. Reg. diesel contaminates and breaks down oil while the veggie doesnt harm it at all. Oil change intervoles are cut down and the veggie oil lubes the top end and injecters. I have been wanting to get an older 7.3L that I could convert and start using around town.

This site has a lot of good information (www greasel com).

Last edited by MadMedic20; 06-08-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I agree Johnny8. I'll probably be an old man by then, but it's coming. And I am getting grey now!

Old 06-08-2005, 03:01 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I agree Johnny8. I'll probably be an old man by then, but it's coming. And I am getting grey now!
yeah, i'm getting a bit grey myself...! but i see it coming.. even here in NH there are a couple of places you can get biodiesel... one nice thing though.. once i get a chance to use it, sometime in the not too distant future, by everything i've read, it will help my mule to last even longer...! i wish i could buy it today..!

Old 06-08-2005, 03:50 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnny8
i may be crazy but i think that someday there may be mostly diesel powered vehicles on the road.. gasoline will be something you have to buy special just for your old "classic cars"...!
i think you are absolutley right, the future of the internal combustion engine is a diesel that runs on fuel grown in fields.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:12 PM
roaky81
Senior User
I just read on MSNBC, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8129979/ about a diesel car (I think by Dam-Chrysler) that was getting 70-80 MPG's. It looks ugly as sin, but developed 140 HP. The article talks more about the design of the body & chassis then it does about the motor. Still an interesting read, especially how they treat the emissions down the tail pipe.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:35 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wlihntr
i think you are absolutley right, the future of the internal combustion engine is a diesel that runs on fuel grown in fields.
this WILL happen it is only a question of when... polution regs will make it happen... sad part is... i wonder how our 7.3's would do in the smog tests if they were running on biodiesel... maybe ford COULD bring them back..!

and as for the diesel cars getting 70 - 80 mpg... that is not a tough as you might think... i met a kid from vermont that drives over my way 4 times a week and he was driving an old, and i mean old vw truck... i think it was the little truck that was based on the rabbit... he told me he was getting 60 mpg, the only downside he said was that the diesel only made about 60 or 70 hp... but he didn't care...

Old 06-08-2005, 08:38 PM
notawordok
Junior User
I don't think it will be any cheaper because our goverment is going to get their cut and once they put the taxes on it there you go. It would be great for out econmy because it would give the american farmer a chance to make it again but they would find it cheaper to have it shipped in from another country.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:43 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by notawordok
I don't think it will be any cheaper because our goverment is going to get their cut and once they put the taxes on it there you go. It would be great for out econmy because it would give the american farmer a chance to make it again but they would find it cheaper to have it shipped in from another country.
YOU AINT KIDDING. HERE IN MA the state gets 19C and the feds get 22C/ gallon of gasoline. most likely similar on dies too! WTF WTF WTF???

Old 06-08-2005, 08:44 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
i would like to see the savings gained by eliminating farm subsidies go toward reducing the taxes on the fuel... this would help make the changeover more affordable for the public... however... i understand that logical thought is rarely found in government officials...!

Old 06-08-2005, 08:53 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have looked at the USED oil option and I am very interested. Perhaps I am not ready to make a $1500 commitment to run used veggie in my truck with fuel around $2 per gallon. But, as the cost of fuel goes up, so does the practicality of going this route. I have to wonder what the implications of not paying highway fuel tax are. You know the government will jump on this as soon as they figure it out.

How appealing does using used veggie oil become if fuel prices approach $3? $4?? $5??? or even more????

Old 06-08-2005, 08:53 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...s/default.shtm

Here is a site that will tell you all the places you can buy bio, it is for MN, all you have to do it type in your zip code on the top, its a nation wide search.

once again, I lost the link.... but there is a guy over in astralia that raises his own beans, then sqeezes the oil out of them, and runs his entire farm, all 5,000 acres or something like that, on home brewed bio.
thats self dependance there......

so start buying that bio, so I can start selling more beans .

EDIT: fixed the link, right to the national map now.

Diesel Rod

Last edited by 444dieselrod; 06-08-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:01 AM
4x4turboterror
Senior User
i just looked at that bio diesel map where retail locations are, but i have a question, i noticed it said b20 and b100 or something like that, what is the b100 number and lets say i had to fill up and that was my only option avail, would i have to drain my #2 diesel before i filled up with this stuff?

Old 06-10-2005, 06:06 AM
Saguaro_7.3
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4x4turboterror
i just looked at that bio diesel map where retail locations are, but i have a question, i noticed it said b20 and b100 or something like that, what is the b100 number and lets say i had to fill up and that was my only option avail, would i have to drain my #2 diesel before i filled up with this stuff?
B20 is 20% bio/80% diesel, B100 is 100% bio. There is a link below on that page that explains buying biodiesel.

Quick Reply: Would anyone do this???