Aerostar Ford Aerostar

What to do with contaminated fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 09:55 PM
DaveMac2Vans
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with contaminated fuel?

I'm having to pump out the tank on my other car because somebody (I'll suspect one of the neighborhood delinquents) has added a few gallons of something (maybe kerosene or paint thinner) to it. How do I get rid of the bad stuff I pump out? Pouring it on the ground or in the creek isn't an acceptable option.

Old 06-12-2005, 12:29 AM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many gallons roughly are in your tank?

Option 1: If not that much I would pump it into a couple 5 gal spare gas tanks and then mix it with straight gas and run it through your lawn mower.

Option 2: Call around to local garages and see what/if they would take it off your hands for you.

Option 3: Remove bad gas and dump it on the house with the most likely juvinile deliquint, light match, and run. (jk)

I would also change out the fuel filter and dump a can of Berrymans B-12 in the gas tank with your new gas to take care of what residue is left.

BTW how do you know that your gas tank was tampered with? You don't have a locking gas cover?

Old 06-12-2005, 02:41 PM
DaveMac2Vans
Elder User
I like option 3 best but I don't which one did it. I know it was tampered with because the lab results indicated the sample from the tank was approx. 25% corn oil with enough lecithin to keep it from separating. This was also enough that I'd be afraid to mix it with any amount of good gas and use it anywhere except option 3. I have 12~14 gallons of this mess. I guess I need to figure out which neighborhood kid has this much interest in chemistry.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:02 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I want to know where you have access to a lab that can give you those results

Old 06-12-2005, 10:24 PM
DaveMac2Vans
Elder User
Originally Posted by asavage
I want to know where you have access to a lab that can give you those results
My father-in-law is a chemical engineer with an international concern, and he was kind enough to have his lab do the analysis for me.

I had tested, tried, or replaced everything else, so I figured it had to be the fuel. When I pumped some out, I could tell something wasn't right, but couldn't figure out exactly what. It smelled strange, was an unusual color, and I knew it wasn't water-based or petroleum-based. I guess the next step will be to pump it out, flush the system, and hope it didn't damage the presure regulator or injectors.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:49 PM
koalamazed
Senior User
we have a hazzardous waste disposal site at out local dump. sometimes they have "free days" and you dont have to pay them to take it! i think they figure if they charged, more people would dump it in the gutters.

my neighbor dude, jerk, would pour it up and down his sidewalk cracks to kill the weeds. lovely.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:53 PM
DaveMac2Vans
Elder User
I guess I could store it in cans and mix a gallon with 4 of oil and get rid of it gradually. I still like option 3 the best. Will have to check about the hazardous waste option at the local dump. Didn't think of that one.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:26 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by koalamazed
my neighbor dude, jerk, would pour it up and down his sidewalk cracks to kill the weeds. lovely.
I would, too. Gasoline is less toxic than RoundUp, IMO, and as long as it doesn't get into the groundwater, I think it's a safe weedkiller. However, that last part is a stinker, as around here, it rains a LOT, and you don't want any petroleum product washing down in the storm drains, they run directly out into the Sound: not good!

Hey, maybe I'm your neighbor!

Regards,
Al S.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:48 PM
JTHill24
Posting Guru
Since it won't separate.........Do you have some place like a old fridge that works that you can put it in and make it cold enough for the oil to thicken. Then you can just scoop it out or strain it.

Jay

Old 06-12-2005, 11:50 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
put it in a barrel and burn it with yard trash or somethin

Old 06-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Aero94AWD
New User
I think most of Schuck Auto Part offer an oil collection center?

Old 06-13-2005, 12:52 PM
copper_90680
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kennedyford
put it in a barrel and burn it with yard trash or somethin
Also, don't forget to put some poison ivy in the barrel before you ignite the thing Just kidding of course!

Old 06-13-2005, 03:34 PM
DaveMac2Vans
Elder User
Originally Posted by copper_90680
Also, don't forget to put some poison ivy in the barrel before you ignite the thing Just kidding of course!
I'd like to put this bum in the barrel! I have enough problems with my 92 Aerostar that I really don't need somebody making things worse.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:02 PM
JTHill24
Posting Guru
With the price of Gas maybe you can sell it to your neighbors for like a 1.25 - 1.50 a gal for their lawnmowers/weedeaters/chainsaws.

Jay

Old 06-13-2005, 08:32 PM
DaveMac2Vans
Elder User
Originally Posted by JTHill24
With the price of Gas maybe you can sell it to your neighbors for like a 1.25 - 1.50 a gal for their lawnmowers/weedeaters/chainsaws.

Jay
I'd ba afraid to use it. My trouble is that I just don't understand why people are like that. I guess it's some loser that my daughter turned down and he figured he'd show me. What a pathetic excuse of a human being.

Quick Reply: What to do with contaminated fuel?