1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

BFG tire pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Taumac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BFG tire pressure question

The door reads 30 front 35 rear ok did that when I had org size 265/70 17 Goodyears today just got my BFG 285/70/17 what pressure do I run everytime I ask someone I get different answers... one says its what the door says or max pressure sidewall of tire or you should run 5 less then max... got home today retourqued and checked pressure all 4 readed 48 max is 65???? So was asking you guys who have this tire what you guys run???? Thanks

Old 02-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Onespeed24
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 33" Pro-Comp A/T's, roughly the same size as your BFG's...

48 lbs seems a bit high, but they were heated up if you had just been driving on them for a while, and your tire volume may be a little smaller then mine.
Remember, the larger the tire volume, the lower the required pressure...

I run about 36 lbs front and 34 lbs rear, when cold. When they get heated they go up to about 40 and 38 respectively. Been running this way for about 12K miles and 1 rotation and they are wearing absolutely perfectly and provide a stable, yet comfortable ride.

I wouldn't go anywhere near the max pressure. 65 lbs is a lot of pressure and your truck will ride like crap, very harsh and squirly.
You may have to just try it at a few different pressures until you find that sweetspot.
I would start at about 43 lbs in front and 40 lbs in the rear (cold) and go from there. If it seems to ride a bit harsh and jittery on the highway, then drop a few lbs.

Isn't it funny how the guys at the tire shop act like freakin' experts in all aspects of tires, until you ask them what pressure you should run in a upsized or downsized tire? I've found that most of the time the don't even consider the fact that your pressure requirements will change. I ran into this a lot when I was buying tires for my Focus. Fortunately, I could just do the shoe-polish test at the track and figure it out fairly easily. (I don't recommend doing that in your Expy!)